Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 2007.1rc2 released
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8263 is a reply to message #8262] Sat, 24 February 2007 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

Ok just adding #ifdef flagNOGTK around the includes makes it work, so they were just missed.

However, after compiling and everything runs, I find the "edit" window in the new IDE is double-wide font for everything. Presumably it detects I start in JPN locale (but using C for everything) and changes to wide font.

This is quite undesirable Smile I have to clean my env every time to start the IDE now.
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8264 is a reply to message #8257] Sat, 24 February 2007 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

guido wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 15:10

- HomeBudget builds fine, but craps out with corrupted
database error dialog. Removing old ~/.HomeBudget
directory doesn't help

Try to build it in debug mode. If debug flag is on database is created. In release mode database just must be ready to use - it must be already created.
But I think I'll change it - it seems to be troublesome.
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8268 is a reply to message #8252] Sun, 25 February 2007 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
Here is the portage ebuild noted. I still need to clean things up a bit, but it builds and installs fine. The pkg-config calls and install are now in the ebuild.

Hope this is useful...

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8285 is a reply to message #8254] Wed, 28 February 2007 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 14:47

- Pdf export totally broken. This was true for the previous
rc as well
whole page gets printed on top of a single line at page-bottom
Saving to pdf fails either. I attached the pdf from prior rc
(looks the same)
Unfortunately I can't say when it broke, because prior Debian
packages didn't work on my system. I know it all worked, when the
feature was first introduced.

Tested with Ubuntu, PDF export seems OK. Can you post the text file (*.qtf) you have used in UWord please?

The same is true for spaces in filename - saved as "My test", loaded "My test.qtf", changed content, saved - everything OK. Perhaps you are using another scenario?

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8286 is a reply to message #8285] Wed, 28 February 2007 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 13:39

Tested with Ubuntu, PDF export seems OK. Can you post the text file (*.qtf) you have used in UWord please?

The same is true for spaces in filename - saved as "My test", loaded "My test.qtf", changed content, saved - everything OK. Perhaps you are using another scenario?

Mirek

Doesn't work here at all.
Maybe gcc compiler bug then.

gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

Testing with multi-threaded size-optimized release build of upp.

Guido

[Updated on: Wed, 28 February 2007 14:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8287 is a reply to message #8247] Wed, 28 February 2007 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 07:14

I run TheIDE, clik on some menu, the submenu will appear, now when I switch to other application or to other desktop (press Ctrl+F1..4 .. AH, now I know where's the Ctrl+F5 hanging in KDE. Smile But as I

Interesting, I was trying to solve that bug for year or two. But now I tried something really simple:

CtrlCore/X11Proc.cpp 104
	case FocusOut:
		if(w.xic)
			XUnsetICFocus(w.xic);
		if(this == focusCtrlWnd)
			KillFocusWnd();
		break;

and this seems to do the job. Please, anybody with a bit of time, check this patch!

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 28 February 2007 14:20]

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8288 is a reply to message #8286] Wed, 28 February 2007 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 08:13

size-optimized

Guido

BTW, using size-optimized does not have too much advantage anymore. Use "Optimal" - it is both 98% of "speed" and 98% of "size". Size and speed settings are preserved only to compare "optimalness of optimal".

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8289 is a reply to message #8286] Wed, 28 February 2007 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, what to say... I guess it can only be the font issue or compiler thing. Have you tried in "DEBUG"?
  • Attachment: test.pdf
    (Size: 26.26KB, Downloaded 306 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 28 February 2007 14:27]

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8303 is a reply to message #8287] Thu, 01 March 2007 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 14:20

I run TheIDE, clik on some menu, the submenu will appear, now when I switch to other application or to other desktop (press Ctrl+F1..4 .. AH, now I know where's the Ctrl+F5 hanging in KDE. Smile But as I

Interesting, I was trying to solve that bug for year or two. But now I tried something really simple:

CtrlCore/X11Proc.cpp 104
	case FocusOut:
		if(w.xic)
			XUnsetICFocus(w.xic);
		if(this == focusCtrlWnd)
			KillFocusWnd();
		break;

and this seems to do the job. Please, anybody with a bit of time, check this patch!

Mirek

Works for me in case of desktop switching, thank you.
Any idea what else should I test to make sure this fix doesn't break something else?

BTW, I deleted Ctrl+F5 from KDE system settings -> keyboard -> keyboard shortcuts -> shortcut schemes -> shortcut sequences, and now it works in upp, so it was really KDE desktop switching stealing it from upp, nothing more.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2007 18:08]

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8307 is a reply to message #8234] Thu, 01 March 2007 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Hmmm... I think the problem with the non working "Stop debugging" was just first sign that something is broken.
Now I finally tried to debug some code, so I set up breakpoint, run the example with F5, and it runs ignoring breakpoint.

Looks like the whole upp + gdb combo is seriously broken on my box.
I'm not sure if it's the gdb broken on my system, or just upp not using it correctly, but if someone else has linux, I would appreciate his comments about how the debug works on his box.
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8310 is a reply to message #8307] Thu, 01 March 2007 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 01 March 2007 13:15

Hmmm... I think the problem with the non working "Stop debugging" was just first sign that something is broken.
Now I finally tried to debug some code, so I set up breakpoint, run the example with F5, and it runs ignoring breakpoint.

I'm not sure if it's the gdb broken on my system, or just upp not using it correctly, but if someone else has linux, I would appreciate his comments about how the debug works on his box.

Please, it might sound stupid, but make sure you have debug info settings set to "Full" (in the output mode).

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8311 is a reply to message #8303] Thu, 01 March 2007 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 01 March 2007 12:04

luzr wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 14:20

CtrlCore/X11Proc.cpp 104
	case FocusOut:
		if(w.xic)
			XUnsetICFocus(w.xic);
		if(this == focusCtrlWnd)
			KillFocusWnd();
		break;

Mirek

Works for me in case of desktop switching, thank you.
Any idea what else should I test to make sure this fix doesn't break something else?

Well, just use it for a while, please, I guess problems would be soon revealed. (I am not using Linux too often at this phase, therefore independent beta-tester is needed).

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8315 is a reply to message #8310] Fri, 02 March 2007 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 01 March 2007 20:55

mr_ped wrote on Thu, 01 March 2007 13:15

Please, it might sound stupid, but make sure you have debug info settings set to "Full" (in the output mode).

Mirek

You never can sound as stupid as I can actually *DO* Very Happy ... I was compiling in Release-optimal mode all the time. In MSVC I think it warns you at the start of the exe the debug information is missing?
Maybe you will eventually make it more robust one day (not very important for me, I will *now* remember forever *blushing*) and TheIDE will warn user about doing something so stupid Very Happy.

About focus patch:
So far I have no idea what else may be broken, but I did notice another funny thing:
When I hover over file name (AddressBook.cpp for example), I get tooltip with full name after short time. Now when I switch to other window or other desktop, the tooptip stays there and is functional (clicking on it opens the file in editor).

I didn't notice any problem with menus since the patch, but I don't use TheIDE very often Sad.
I will try to test as much as possible, but in the end if I manage 1 hour per day, I will be happy.
But I'm looking forward to start coding on some graphics project under linux soon, so far I'm toying with idea of using SDL, so maybe I will use TheIDE for development (either that or KDevelop or maybe even both Very Happy for some time until I decide one of them) and than I will use it almost on daily basis.
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8316 is a reply to message #8315] Fri, 02 March 2007 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 01 March 2007 19:53

You never can sound as stupid as I can actually *DO* Very Happy ... I was compiling in Release-optimal mode all the time. In MSVC I think it warns you at the start of the exe the debug information is missing?

Well, I always found that warning to be very annoying as I am often debugging release mode without debug info... (usually to test my theories about what compiler does to my C++ code...).

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8320 is a reply to message #8307] Fri, 02 March 2007 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
mr_ped,

I'm running the Linux distribution Gentoo with cross-platform development to Win-XP. What distro are you using? That will give me a clue on what suggestion to make on how to proceed.

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8328 is a reply to message #8289] Sat, 03 March 2007 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 14:25

Well, what to say... I guess it can only be the font issue or compiler thing. Have you tried in "DEBUG"?

I did a DEBUG build and that fixed pdf exporting.
Oddly UWord writes out the exported pdf, but renaming
the original QTF still fails silently with no indication
where or what might have gone wrong.
I also built without gtk and did another DEBUG build
with gcc-3.4.6, but that doesn't fix the second bug either.
Also despite built "DEBUG full", breakpoints are ignored
and "Run to cursor" fails with "No code at chosen location",
so I can't check what's up.
Saving doesn't work as well with the little LineEdit based
Notepad clone, I coded as a learning experience some time
ago.

So I think I'll give up for now. Don't know what to do.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8329 is a reply to message #8328] Sat, 03 March 2007 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Fri, 02 March 2007 19:08

luzr wrote on Wed, 28 February 2007 14:25

I did a DEBUG build and that fixed pdf exporting.
Oddly UWord writes out the exported pdf

Interesting. This would indicate either a compiler bug (IMO less likely) or some variable initializastion problem (read: unintialized variable Smile. (I am speaking about PDF export problem here...)

Quote:

I also built without gtk and did another DEBUG build
with gcc-3.4.6, but that doesn't fix the second bug either.

What about .pdf export with 3.4.6 in release mode?

Quote:

So I think I'll give up for now. Don't know what to do.

I guess I will install pure debian into vmware and try to reproduce the problem.

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8330 is a reply to message #8328] Sat, 03 March 2007 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Ok. With the frustration settled, I investigated further.

Files can be loaded, and changes are written back.
But renaming doesn't work.
With my Notepad clone it seemed like it was a problem related to filename extensions. On Unix plain text files don't carry the .txt extension usually. When I added the .txt extension, renaming suddenly worked. But then, with UWord's qtf files no such luck, whatever I try. Tried with files without umlauts/spaces to eliminate this as a cause.
I suspect this breakage is related to your recent filename escaping fix. That's all I can think of.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8333 is a reply to message #8329] Sat, 03 March 2007 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 08:56

What about .pdf export with 3.4.6 in release mode?

Ok.
Release (Optimal) also works (pdf) with gcc-3.4.6.
Well, -Os caused sometimes trouble in the past.
I'll do an "Optimal" build with gcc-4.1.1 and report.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8335 is a reply to message #8333] Sat, 03 March 2007 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
guido wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 10:46

Well, -Os caused sometimes trouble in the past.
I'll do an "Optimal" build with gcc-4.1.1 and report.

So I did.
Yes, size optimization somehow breaks pdfdraw.
"Optimal" works with gcc-4.1.1 too.
The saving bug remains.

Guido
Previous Topic: Upp 2007.1beta3 released
Next Topic: upp-portage experimental release
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:44:20 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01501 seconds