Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 2007.1rc2 released
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8336 is a reply to message #8320] Sat, 03 March 2007 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
ebojd wrote on Fri, 02 March 2007 15:08

mr_ped,

I'm running the Linux distribution Gentoo with cross-platform development to Win-XP. What distro are you using? That will give me a clue on what suggestion to make on how to proceed.

EBo --

Kubuntu 6.10
kernel 2.6.17
gcc 4.1.1 (default system compiler, used by TheIDE probably?)
gcc 3.4.6
gdb 6.4.90

Problems with debugging (been toying with it little bit more):
When I run some example with F5, I can't stop it, and if I add breakpoint during execution, it gets ignored.
When I have some breakpoint added ahead of F5, it works, and while the application is breaked, I can use stop debug and edit breakpoints. But once I rerun it with F5, it again ignores everything.
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8347 is a reply to message #8336] Sat, 03 March 2007 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
mr_ped wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 13:23

When I run some example with F5, I can't stop it, and if I add breakpoint during execution, it gets ignored.
When I have some breakpoint added ahead of F5, it works, and while the application is breaked, I can use stop debug and edit breakpoints. But once I rerun it with F5, it again ignores everything.

Go to Build->Output mode...
Set all the controls to "Full".

Mirek, forget my bug report about that. Debugging works fine.
The whole build process is a bit scattered and non-obvious.

Guess, I can soon start using upp in ernest, after all Smile

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8348 is a reply to message #8315] Sat, 03 March 2007 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 02 March 2007 01:53

So far I have no idea what else may be broken, but I did notice another funny thing:
When I hover over file name (AddressBook.cpp for example), I get tooltip with full name after short time. Now when I switch to other window or other desktop, the tooptip stays there and is functional (clicking on it opens the file in editor).

@Mirek:

I was debugging TheIDE a bit to both try the debugger again (it's still far away from anything what I would like to use for debugging).
Than again there are many external debugger in linux, so I will try one of them, I hope they will be advanced enough and there will be than no point to invest time into better internal debugger.

... and to figure out how to get rid of those tooltips.
I figured out this:
void Ctrl::EventProc(XWindow& w, XEvent *event)
- there's the "case FocusOut:" which gets called when desktops are switched, but this one does not propagate down into ColumnList control, and I don't think extending this is anything I would want to do Very Happy. Nor I do like such idea.

Than there's the mouse leave events which make the tooltip to disappear, as far as I can tell from the debugging session there are two ways how to get the mouse leave event. One is regular X-window event, second one is from some artificial timer event checking mouse coordinates. (I think it's your's timer to fix up some lost mouse move events?)
This timer event still calculates the mouse position over the tooltip even if I'm on different desktop, so it does disappear when I move the mouse away.
This gives me idea for a way of fix which IMHO will be more robust, is there some easy way to check number of desktop during that check? And if the desktops are different, than use some illegal mouse coordinates to make sure it's evaluated as "outside of window"?
Just my $0.02. Smile

BTW:
uh, tried gcc --version (I wrote 4.1.1 according to version of package) and I got:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20060928 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-13ubuntu5)
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8350 is a reply to message #8336] Sun, 04 March 2007 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
mr_ped,

I noticed a similar behaviour using it on XP and Gentoo. The breakpoints seemed to be set in a temp file that was different than where it looked. WHen theIDE got totally confused I did a cleanall and rebuilt everything from scratch. Sometimes that seemed to work. I am sure that I was doing something simple/wrong, but am still quite new to theIDE.

RE: Linux setups and Makefiles

I had focused on building most of the Makefile changes into the ebuild and not Makefile patches. I'm rethinking that decision since it is not very useful for non-portage based systems. I am planning to look into the Build/Makefile generation code and see if they can be made to generate more portable Makefiles.

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8370 is a reply to message #8250] Tue, 06 March 2007 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I fixed all those case errors in the sqlite plugin and SqlApp in my local copy and compiled SqlApp.
But it fails with error dialog "no such table: BOOK".

Guido

[Updated on: Tue, 06 March 2007 02:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8373 is a reply to message #8336] Tue, 06 March 2007 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Sat, 03 March 2007 07:23

Well, I do not know yet how to do that in gdb...

Current linux debugging works by spawning child "gdb" process and then communicating with it via commandline. When code runs, there is no way (known to me) how to set breakpoints.

I would like to have own low-level debugger in future, just like we do in Win32 - those problem would then be gone. The main problem there is to find a way how to parse debug info from binaries... (Win32 has nice .dll for this task..)

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8378 is a reply to message #8373] Tue, 06 March 2007 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Ah... that makes sense.

I know there is a way to do it because the gdb GUI's (like xgdb or ddd) are able to handle the GUI/gdb interaction with setting breakpoints, etc. Hope that helps.

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8379 is a reply to message #8234] Tue, 06 March 2007 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
I think improving build-in debugger has very low priority right now, as there are several front-ends for gdb already and the debugger in IDE is lacking many features anyway.

Rather focus on improving the platform itself.
Automated tests is one thing which I will be looking into very soon, and making them as easy as possible to set up and use with TheIDE would made me very happy. 2007.2 for example? Smile

And I hope the 2007.1 will get out soon (but with bugfixes Smile ).

What about scrollbars graphics in KDE and the third arrow?
I was trying to find the code which is responsible for the drawing of scrollbars, so far I was unable to get the overall idea how that thing works, so I'm not sure why they don't work.
(I mean the drawing, the third arrow is pretty much clear as the UPP scrollbar code looks pretty much hard-wired to classic up / bar / down scrollbars in all related functions from what I have seen so far).

Also I have no idea how the KDE itself works with the 3 button scrollbars, is it some standard Qt control? Is it some standard of Qt, or is there a way to detect which type of scrollbar is used by current KDE theme? And how does the chameleon load the KDE theme, where should I look for the scrollbar graphics?

The more you will point me in the right direction, the more likely I will be able to help, than again if you point me enough, maybe you will solve it sooner than me. Very Happy
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8381 is a reply to message #8379] Tue, 06 March 2007 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

Also I have no idea how the KDE itself works with the 3 button scrollbars, is it some standard Qt control? Is it some standard of Qt, or is there a way to detect which type of scrollbar is used by current KDE theme? And how does the chameleon load the KDE theme, where should I look for the scrollbar graphics?

Chameleon on X11 uses gtk as widget rendering backend. In the past, prior chameleon, upp parsed the KDE global config file for color scheme and font. But now Qt/KDE is totally out of the picture.
If you want KDE-style scrollbars, you need to derive your own class.
Qt is GPL, so linking to it never was an option.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8383 is a reply to message #8381] Tue, 06 March 2007 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
"Qt is GPL, so linking to it never was an option."

Ummm... I *thought* Qt was not GPL, but their own license -- namely non-commercial was free and comercial licensing was rather expensive.

Regardless of the above, why would linking to a GPL library not be an option?

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8386 is a reply to message #8383] Tue, 06 March 2007 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
ebojd wrote on Tue, 06 March 2007 17:52

"Qt is GPL, so linking to it never was an option."

Ummm... I *thought* Qt was not GPL, but their own license -- namely non-commercial was free and comercial licensing was rather expensive.

Regardless of the above, why would linking to a GPL library not be an option?

The gratis version went through numerous license changes over the years. Now the QPL has been superceded by the GPL. Also, in the past Qt/X11 hat a special status. The gratis version for windows used to be a major release behind. Now it is the same license on all supported platforms.

Upp is BSD licensed. Once it was linked to Qt, all releases from then on would become GPL'ed once and for all and with it all applications developed with upp. That is how the GPL works. gtk is LGPL, leaving the upp source and applications built with it unaffected.
In other words, if upp used Qt for theming, then for developing proprietary apps with upp, the commercial Qt license would apply, and you'd pay through the nose.

Guido
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8388 is a reply to message #8378] Tue, 06 March 2007 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Tue, 06 March 2007 07:54

Ah... that makes sense.

I know there is a way to do it because the gdb GUI's (like xgdb or ddd) are able to handle the GUI/gdb interaction with setting breakpoints, etc. Hope that helps.

EBo --

When binary runs?

Mirek
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8389 is a reply to message #8388] Tue, 06 March 2007 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Yes (assuming that I understand the flow of control correctly).

I use DDD -- (desc: GNU DDD is a graphical front-end for command-line debuggers such as GDB, DBX, WDB, Ladebug, JDB, XDB, the Perl debugger, the bash debugger, or the Python debugger. Besides ``usual'' front-end features such as viewing source texts, DDD has become famous through its interactive graphical data display, where data structures are displayed as graphs.) <http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/>

If I recall correctly, the command-line debugger is spawned in a thread, and the commands are passed back to it through a pipe. It's been nearly a decade since I cranked the wrench at that level, but that is what I recall.

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8390 is a reply to message #8386] Tue, 06 March 2007 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks,

Since I posted the licensing question I tracked down the QPL/GPL licensing and skimmed through it. I also get the GPL/LGPL distinction. Personally I like Qt and tools, but typically cannot justify the $4+K for a development license for a specific project...

Thanks for the info...

EBo --
Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8398 is a reply to message #8234] Wed, 07 March 2007 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Eh, I don't care about linking to Qt (I'm not asking for that). But I do certainly want to see scrollbars in UPP apps. (whatever they will look like).

When I change the style of IDE to classic or standard, I do see scrollbars correctly. When I set "host platform", I get the bar drawn correctly, but no arrows, just empty rectangles. (and the third arrow is ignored)

My question about Qt was if there are also themes with classic 2 arrows scrollbars or every Qt scrollbar does have only 3 arrows. If there are both types of themes, there's probably some way how to detect the three arrow scrollbar inside the UPP. (than again, maybe GTK apps with enforced Qt look (kubuntu "hosted platform" behavior) will be unable to detect that anyway, I don't know neither GTK or Qt)

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2007 00:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2007.1rc2 released [message #8403 is a reply to message #8398] Wed, 07 March 2007 02:03 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 07 March 2007 00:22

When I change the style of IDE to classic or standard, I do see scrollbars correctly. When I set "host platform", I get the bar drawn correctly, but no arrows, just empty rectangles. (and the third arrow is ignored)

My question about Qt was if there are also themes with classic 2 arrows scrollbars or every Qt scrollbar does have only 3 arrows. If there are both types of themes, there's probably some way how to detect the three arrow scrollbar inside the UPP. (than again, maybe GTK apps with enforced Qt look (kubuntu "hosted platform" behavior) will be unable to detect that anyway, I don't know neither GTK or Qt)

Ok. qt-gtk-engine uses qt for rendering gtk widgets, as upp uses gtk to render its controls. Not surprising this 'double-talk' poses problems for chameleon.
At any rate, I don't see how chameleon could pull extra widget elements, like extra scrollbar buttons out of the hat, which don't exist in the upp scrollbar control class already.
Beware, I have no definite answer to that, as I'm not much involved in chameleon development.

Guido
Previous Topic: Upp 2007.1beta3 released
Next Topic: upp-portage experimental release
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:30:11 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01128 seconds