Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Project files for MS Visual Studio
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #9275 is a reply to message #8990] Wed, 25 April 2007 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
ebojd wrote on Wed, 11 April 2007 07:50

If I recall correctly, CMake is not a makefile generator, but a build system in itself. As I understand it, the makefile generator generates Makefiles from the .upp project description. It still depends on the system installed build facilities. So, I think of this as basically an export the build directives to ***

EBo --

Sorry for a long disappearance.

http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Features.html

"Generates native build files (e.g., makefiles on Unix; workspaces/projects on MS Visual C++). Therefore standard tools can be used on any platform/compiler configuration."

As I recall, project file generator in CMake is hardcoded into the code. It is just a bunch of print statements. So, you cannot fix anything without changing the code. That seems to be a bad idea (at least to me).

Regards,
Novo
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #9351 is a reply to message #9274] Tue, 01 May 2007 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okigan is currently offline  okigan
Promising Member
>i've tried your approach. For some reason it doesn't work for me.
>You set "C/C++ Compiler Tool" as a tool for an icpp file. I
>couldn't find where you link against a compiled file

You need to put it as library input for the output project (the one that produces *.exe)

-Igor
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10290 is a reply to message #9274] Sat, 30 June 2007 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dskips is currently offline  dskips
Hi I tried using your VC8 project files to build upp. Most projects built fine but the following fail:

MySql
c:\upp\uppsrc\mysql\MySql.h(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'MySql.h': No such file or directory

Geom_Coords
c:\upp\uppsrc\geom\coords\GeomCoords.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'TCore/TCore.h': No such file or directory

SqlCommander
c:\upp\uppsrc\geom\coords\GeomCoords.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'TCore/TCore.h': No such file or directory

I dont seem to have a C:\upp\uppsrc\Tcore directory, should I?
I'm not going to be using any SQL stuff in the forseeable future so I can omit those projects from compilation. Can I omit GeomCoords?

Any ideas? This toolkit looks really cool and I'd like to try it but at the moment it doesn't look promising.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 June 2007 05:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10291 is a reply to message #10290] Sat, 30 June 2007 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dskips wrote on Fri, 29 June 2007 23:23

Hi I tried using your VC8 project files to build upp. Most projects

What exactly do you mean by "projects"?

Quote:

built fine but the following fail:

MySql
c:\upp\uppsrc\mysql\MySql.h(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'MySql.h': No such file or directory

Missing MYSQL library or wrong path to it...

Quote:

Geom_Coords

SqlCommander

I dont seem to have a C:\upp\uppsrc\Tcore directory, should I?
I'm not going to be using any SQL stuff in the forseeable future so I can omit those projects from compilation. Can I omit GeomCoords?

Well, these are most likely bugs in U++, however, mostly irrelevant - you are trying to build sources here that got to the release by mistake ('release' is sort of selection of packages from larger codebase).
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10292 is a reply to message #9351] Sat, 30 June 2007 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, one question (I have not followed this thread in detail recently...):

Is the .icpp problem resolved to the degree that "MSVC version" would become a part of regular U++ releases? (Downloadable on sf.net)?

Would providing some sort of separate .lay, .iml files editor and .tpp directory editors sense? (In fact, all we need here is just modified theide startup sequence so that it directly edits the file...).

Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10304 is a reply to message #10291] Sun, 01 July 2007 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dskips is currently offline  dskips
Novo provided a VC8 solution file and 29 project files. Each project is a part of the source the projects are Core, Crypto, CtrlCore, CtrlLib, Draw etc...

Ok, I can do with SQL so i'll leave that out of the compilation but do I need geom_coords? The files are GeomCoords.h method.h coords.cpp ellipsiod.cpp method.cpp and util.cpp.
If I do need these how can I go about fixing the release?
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10305 is a reply to message #10304] Sun, 01 July 2007 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
You do not need GeomCoords for compiling TheIDE or any of examples.
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10331 is a reply to message #10292] Mon, 02 July 2007 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Sat, 30 June 2007 05:11

OK, one question (I have not followed this thread in detail recently...):

Is the .icpp problem resolved to the degree that "MSVC version" would become a part of regular U++ releases? (Downloadable on sf.net)?

Not yet Embarassed
I got the idea how to do that but haven't had enough time ...

Quote:

Would providing some sort of separate .lay, .iml files editor and .tpp directory editors sense? (In fact, all we need here is just modified theide startup sequence so that it directly edits the file...).

Could you please explain that in more details? I couldn't follow you.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10335 is a reply to message #10331] Mon, 02 July 2007 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Quote:

Could you please explain that in more details? I couldn't follow you.

Without TheIDE that recognizes .lay and .iml files, you will need some way to edit them...
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10358 is a reply to message #10335] Wed, 04 July 2007 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Why not associate theIDE with .lay and other files so double
click in VS would start up as the editor?

linking against .obj file corresponding to *.iccp would be
acceptable solution since it does not rely on specific VC++
extensions.

-Igor
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10361 is a reply to message #10358] Wed, 04 July 2007 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
okigan wrote on Tue, 03 July 2007 21:13

Well, this is what I was suggesting, was not I Smile

Quote:

extensions.

I do not get this. What extensions?

Mirek
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10397 is a reply to message #10361] Thu, 05 July 2007 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 01:34

okigan wrote on Tue, 03 July 2007 21:13

Well, this is what I was suggesting, was not I Smile

yes, you were. Just reafirming the point.
luzr wrote on Wed, 04 July 2007 01:34

Quote:

extensions.

I do not get this. What extensions?

Mirek

If *.iccp file compiled into the library (as a regular cpp) the
linker will drop the object code from them since they are not
referenced inside the library itself.

theIDE has a work around for this, but to make it work with
other IDE's one would have to use non-standard extensions to
force the linker to reference the code in iccp file. Snapshot
for VS2005 attached. (Is it not?)

Another approach is to link with *.obj files corresponding to
*.iccp with the target executable....

-Igor

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2007 23:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10426 is a reply to message #10397] Mon, 09 July 2007 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
My point was: what makes these extensions non-standard?
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10454 is a reply to message #10397] Tue, 10 July 2007 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
okigan wrote on Thu, 05 July 2007 17:14

If *.iccp file compiled into the library (as a regular cpp) the
linker will drop the object code from them since they are not
referenced inside the library itself.

theIDE has a work around for this, but to make it work with
other IDE's one would have to use non-standard extensions to
force the linker to reference the code in iccp file. Snapshot
for VS2005 attached. (Is it not?)

Another approach is to link with *.obj files corresponding to
*.iccp with the target executable....

-Igor

I've played with "Force Symbol References" in VS 7.1. I've set it to ?CtrlSetDefaultSkin@Upp@@YAXP6AXXZ0>@Z . No luck at all. Got the same flat gray interface.

I don't think many people will want to link their applications against Core_init.obj, CtrlCore.obj, CtrlLib.obj, Oracle_init.obj, e.t.c in addition to appropriate static libraries.

IMHO it is just a bad idea to use special linking rules instead of explicitly referencing symbols in icpp files. It is just a bad practice. Trying to solve that problem is just waste of time.

Ultimate++ is either usable with Visual Studio or not. At this particular moment it is not usable. (Of course, you can explicitly call SetSkin(ChHostSkin) in your application as I did. Wink )

Regards,
Novo
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10455 is a reply to message #10335] Tue, 10 July 2007 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Mon, 02 July 2007 16:06

Without TheIDE that recognizes .lay and .iml files, you will need some way to edit them...

.lay - vim;
.iml - GIMP + some kind of conversion tool;

Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10525 is a reply to message #10454] Sat, 14 July 2007 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Novo wrote on Tue, 10 July 2007 00:15

I've played with "Force Symbol References" in VS 7.1. I've set it to ?CtrlSetDefaultSkin@Upp<a href="mailto:@@YAXP6AXXZ0" target="_blank">@@YAXP6AXXZ0</a>@Z . No luck at all. Got the same flat gray interface.

Yeah... i did not feel those are easy to get working.

I don't think many people will want to link their applications against Core_init.obj, CtrlCore.obj, CtrlLib.obj, Oracle_init.obj, e.t.c in addition to appropriate static libraries.

Agree, it's a pain and strange. Though works consistently.

IMHO it is just a bad idea to use special linking rules instead of explicitly referencing symbols in icpp files. It is just a bad practice. Trying to solve that problem is just waste of time.

How about adding #pramga lib to bring in thouse *.obj files?

Ultimate++ is either usable with Visual Studio or not. At this particular moment it is not usable. (Of course, you can explicitly call SetSkin(ChHostSkin) in your application as I did. Wink )

Or how about modifying a macro (e.x. GUI_APP_MAIN) to reference thouse functions? And yes upp is not yet usable in VS.

-Igor
Re: Project files for MS Visual Studio [message #10541 is a reply to message #10525] Sun, 15 July 2007 11:00 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
okigan wrote on Fri, 13 July 2007 18:22

Or how about modifying a macro (e.x. GUI_APP_MAIN) to reference thouse functions? And yes upp is not yet usable in VS.

-Igor

The real point about .icpp is that it "registers" packages that are in the project. E.g. if you add some image codec (like plugin/png), .icpp is used to register it to the global codec map.

Obviously, the set of .icpp is variable and depends on what packages are used...

The one possible solution would be to add init routines solely for use with MSVC. Of course, it is inferior solution.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Cross Compile UPP for armv5l arch
Next Topic: Prevent to create configuration directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:34:31 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02442 seconds