FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » linux-pendrive and Upp
linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8455] Sun, 11 March 2007 15:35 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I would like to install linux on a pendrive together our lovely U++. Now I do not need linux for other purpose except run gcc with U++. But I do not know which distribution I should use to be sure of good results.
Suggestion are welcomed.

Luigi
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8457 is a reply to message #8455] Sun, 11 March 2007 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, what about ubuntu? Smile

Note: I am big supported of ubuntu, not because it is best (it is most likely not), but because it finally it brings much needed standardization to desktop Linux.

Mirek
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8458 is a reply to message #8455] Mon, 12 March 2007 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
I like Ubuntu... works quite well with U++, although it seems U++ applications can take a while to start up; might be the way I linked them though.

A usb version takes more space in linux tho. I needed to install lots more development libraries and the like, which means you'd have to put them on the pendrive too.
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8460 is a reply to message #8455] Mon, 12 March 2007 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
To start, a question: which version of GCC is needed to compile Upp?
I noticed many mini-distros don't have GCC higher then 3.4.6, anyway....

@Forlano:
Maybe you should tell us the size of your pendrive...

At present I couldn't suggest you THE distro to choose, but since I've made some research for a mini developer-friendly distro I could suggest you to start from Slax (Slackware-based), at least it has a very nice and clear site: http://www.slax.org/
Look at develop modules:
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?category=develop

Otherwise, if you want a Debian-based distro, choose one of the many knoppix children:
The knoppix (it's Debian-based) distros list :
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Customisations

I noticed that Damn Small Linux based on knoppix (only 50 Mb!) lets you install gcc 3.3.4, I don't know about headers-libs availability

For mini Ubuntu, I've found this link,
1 GB Ubuntu: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02/12/usb-ubuntu-tutorial- for-linux-users/
but 1 GB doesn't seem too mini. By installing Ubuntu Alternate (and with hacking) you should get a 256 Mb Ubuntu

BTW, to test them I've found very useful VirtualBox, a fine now open-source virtualizer with a simple interface.
http://www.virtualbox.org/
The .deb installer it's not open-source, but it's free anyway.
If distros don't start on the first attempt, they do on the second - the exit-and-restart old trick always work Wink

Ciao,
David
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8462 is a reply to message #8460] Mon, 12 March 2007 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
waxblood wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 07:00

To start, a question: which version of GCC is needed to compile Upp?
I noticed many mini-distros don't have GCC higher then 3.4.6, anyway....

3.4.6 is OK. Mingw is lower than that.

Quote:

1 GB Ubuntu: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02/12/usb-ubuntu-tutorial- for-linux-users/
but 1 GB doesn't seem too mini. By installing Ubuntu Alternate (and with hacking) you should get a 256 Mb Ubuntu

Well, you can get 2GB hi-speed (30MB/s) pendrive for $25 (actually, I plan to buy one tomorrow Wink. 1GB is no big deal.

Thanks for link, it will be useful. I plan flashdisk based HTPC build...

Mirek
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8466 is a reply to message #8462] Mon, 12 March 2007 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 12:55

... Well, you can get 2GB hi-speed (30MB/s) pendrive for $25 (actually, I plan to buy one tomorrow Wink. 1GB is no big deal.

Thanks for link, it will be useful. I plan flashdisk based HTPC build...

Mirek

Thanks to all of you for the replies.
This post has been sent from my new ubuntu 6.10 with WI-FI connection. I'm not new with linux, I started with slackware ten years ago, but this distro is really amazing for how it is easy to install. I was warried for the existing XP partition but it managed everything without my help.
In the next days I'll try to realize a minimalist distro in a 512 MB pendrive. Just to plug it in some computer at school and start U++ in spare time.
2GB at 25$ is very good. Here I can't find the same at less than 40 EUR.

Luigi
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8467 is a reply to message #8466] Mon, 12 March 2007 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
Luigi, for your purpose you might give Puppy Linux a try.
It loads itself, a 86M compressed image, completely into RAM at boot. For C++ development you'll need 70M additional space. A 256M pendrive and equal amount of RAM on the target box should suffice for working with U++.

Guido
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8468 is a reply to message #8467] Mon, 12 March 2007 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
guido wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 19:26

It loads itself, a 86M compressed image, completely into RAM at boot. For C++ development you'll need 70M additional space. A 256M pendrive and equal amount of RAM on the target box should suffice for working with U++.

Guido

Guido,

this afternoon I've inquired many little distros of which I was unaware before. I saw even "Puppy". At last I landed on such "BerryLinux" but it wont boot on my system. I discarded Puppy because of his silly name Razz
After your advice now I'm going there. I hope to find even useful instruction to install on a pendrive.

Luigi
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8473 is a reply to message #8466] Tue, 13 March 2007 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
luzr wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 12:55

... Well, you can get 2GB hi-speed (30MB/s) pendrive for $25 (actually, I plan to buy one tomorrow Wink. 1GB is no big deal.

You know, I saw Autocad running on a 286 with a 40 MB harddisk, showing 3d (ok, wireframe Wink ) spheres. I like the old school, where bytes are counted.

Besides, I'd want to have a small dev distro (50-100) to distribute my programs inside. My dream would be making a distro capable of running genetic programs with possibly random x86 code. Do you think it would be (quite) safe to:
1) running them inside a virtualized distro, with native code execution
2) (Oh my god Very Happy ) running them on a non-virtualized distro, of course with proper AND CAREFUL permissions, SELinux rules, whatever

Ciao,
David

[Updated on: Tue, 13 March 2007 08:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8474 is a reply to message #8468] Tue, 13 March 2007 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
forlano wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 21:57

guido wrote on Mon, 12 March 2007 19:26

Guido

Guido,

this afternoon I've inquired many little distros of which I was unaware before. I saw even "Puppy". At last I landed on such "BerryLinux" but it wont boot on my system. I discarded Puppy because of his silly name Razz
After your advice now I'm going there. I hope to find even useful instruction to install on a pendrive.

Luigi

Hi,

I'm posting from a puppylinux live distro connected in wifi. On my computer at home (6 years old) didn't work but today at school on a newest pc it works as a dream. It is extremely fast as never experienced before with other distros.
Now I wish to add c++ compiler, U++ and install on a pendrive ( Rolling Eyes this can be an'idea for a new distro... Uppuppy Laughing ).

Let's go to buy a new pendrive...
Luigi
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8478 is a reply to message #8474] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
forlano wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 04:44

Now I wish to add c++ compiler, U++ and install on a pendrive ( Rolling Eyes this can be an'idea for a new distro... Uppuppy Laughing ).
Luigi

Oh I can just see all the puns popping up alread.

...the distro war cry will be "Upp Yours".
...version uppdates will be called uppscaling.
...when a user looses their temper they are being uppset.
...when someone gets full of themselves, they are being Uppity.

Oh, I think I better stop now Wink

Have a joyous day y'all

EBo --
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8479 is a reply to message #8478] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exolon is currently offline  exolon
ebojd wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 13:20

...the distro war cry will be "Upp Yours".
...version uppdates will be called uppscaling.

Laughing Time to uppgrade, too!
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8482 is a reply to message #8474] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
forlano wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 10:44

Let's go to buy a new pendrive...
Luigi

You have seen this?
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12

For upp itself I think just put everything into ~/upp or you need to learn how to create your own .sfs.

Guido
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8483 is a reply to message #8474] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
forlano wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 10:44

... Let's go to buy a new pendrive...
Luigi

Bad news,

The distro works great in a usb pendrive and even my application build somwhere else run correctly in the Puppy distro. It seems there is a big community around it.
I've downloaded the latest Upp but it was without an executable. I tried to run the makefile without success (it creates many directories but no compilation at all). This is normal I think because of different setup.
So I tried to get TheIde from a previous dev version but it do not run. Unfortunately no message appear. Perhaps some missing library.
I need to inquire it better.
For the moment I'm Uppset, as EBo would say, Smile

Luigi
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8484 is a reply to message #8483] Tue, 13 March 2007 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
Luigi,

The latest release did not come with a Makefile in the top directory -- only in the uppsrc/ide directory. You will probably want to edit where it installs as it is an unstandard location. If that does not work for you I'll send you my latest which will install in /usr and put all common stuff in /usr/share/upp

I hope this works for you find your spirits upplifted Wink

EBo --
Re: linux-pendrive and Upp [message #8485 is a reply to message #8482] Tue, 13 March 2007 15:00 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
guido wrote on Tue, 13 March 2007 14:45

You have seen this?
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/downloads.php?cat_id=12

For upp itself I think just put everything into ~/upp or you need to learn how to create your own .sfs.

Guido

Yes, I got the dev compiling package and installed it correctly (it compiles a simple c file). But I believe that theide executable should work directly as my application does (created with U++ and kubuntu 5.10)...
I'll continue the investigation at home tonight.
Luigi
Previous Topic: Very old developper
Next Topic: orphaned GCC.bm and differing source tree after upgrade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:08:26 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01723 seconds