Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » UPP with Tango look
icon6.gif  UPP with Tango look [message #9770] Wed, 30 May 2007 01:12 Go to next message
adkiller is currently offline  adkiller
Promising Member
I have recently added stock tango icons and some custom Tango icons into TheIDE and controls to improve the look and feel.

Attached is the diff.

Tango icons and its lookalikes are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. For more info see "Terms of Use?" in here: http://tango.freedesktop.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Enjoy Very Happy ,
-Ad

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:55]

Report message to a moderator

icon14.gif  Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9771 is a reply to message #9770] Wed, 30 May 2007 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Attached is a sample screenshot. The screenshot does not show all the tango icons.

Cool ,
-Ad
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9773 is a reply to message #9771] Wed, 30 May 2007 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Wow! Looks very nice, maybe except the package icon. The most I like c++, h icons. It seems there's the time to make the ide more configurable... (it should allow to choose the icon set)
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9778 is a reply to message #9773] Wed, 30 May 2007 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have nothing makeing this default (if the license is OK - it most likely is).

Anyway, default for TheIDE. I would rather keep CtrlLib.iml as it is and override CtrlLib icons just for TheIDE.

(One reason is that I think CtrlLib.iml icons are much simpler and therefore pack to smaller size, which makes better default for small apps IMO).

OTOH, nothing against doing this as package that alters the CtrlLib appearance. Hmm, idea, just like we have "plugin/", what about to start another group "look/"?
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9780 is a reply to message #9778] Wed, 30 May 2007 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 17:20

I have nothing makeing this default (if the license is OK - it most likely is).

Anyway, default for TheIDE. I would rather keep CtrlLib.iml as it is and override CtrlLib icons just for TheIDE.

(One reason is that I think CtrlLib.iml icons are much simpler and therefore pack to smaller size, which makes better default for small apps IMO).

OTOH, nothing against doing this as package that alters the CtrlLib appearance. Hmm, idea, just like we have "plugin/", what about to start another group "look/"?

The new images seem to make little difference to file sizes so far. But if it is a real concern, I could try to make the images smaller by using color palettes. The problem is IconDes may not store the image palette and use full color palettes instead.

However, I think there may be real concerns by users using 8-bit displays. What would you suggest to address this issue? There is no facility in UPP at the moment to select icons or images based on display bit depth.

The odd thing is that almost all toolkits I've used so far (e.g: Qt, GTK+, wxWidgets,..) only use 24-bit color icons for their toolbar images and message dialog icons. Probably 8-bit and 16-bit displays are a thing of the past?

AFAIK, TheIDE about logo is a 24-bit image. Wink

Thanks,
-Ad
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9781 is a reply to message #9780] Wed, 30 May 2007 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, our take (since the beginning) is that supporting other than 24 bit colors in the interface is not worth the trouble, especially supporting palettes is useless (the notable exception here is Image export/import infrastructure, where it is still required).

It was true in 1999 when we started and it is even more true now Smile

That does not mean U++ apps would not work, they do, just look worse. U++ sets some default palette and uses it.
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9793 is a reply to message #9773] Wed, 30 May 2007 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
unodgs wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 14:44

Wow! Looks very nice, maybe except the package icon. The most I like c++, h icons. It seems there's the time to make the ide more configurable... (it should allow to choose the icon set)

I have made new package icons. Let me know if you find these better. See the attached image for the revamped package icons.

Cool ,
-Ad

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:11]

Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9802 is a reply to message #9793] Thu, 31 May 2007 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
adkiller wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 14:32

unodgs wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 14:44

I have made new package icons. Let me know if you find these better. See the attached image for the revamped package icons.

Cool ,
-Ad

Well, pesonally, I like toolbar icons, but not the file/package icons. If nothing else, that shape for package is "U++ logo" and is meant to be so Smile

Mirek
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9810 is a reply to message #9770] Thu, 31 May 2007 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Another set of nice icons, under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License:

http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

It's a must-see if you're searching for clearness and easy-to-the-eye icons.

Some reactions ?

Lionel
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9811 is a reply to message #9810] Thu, 31 May 2007 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
chickenk wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 00:02

Another set of nice icons, under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License:

http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

It's a must-see if you're searching for clearness and easy-to-the-eye icons.

Some reactions ?

Lionel

These icons are pretty nice as well. I could replace the Tango icons with this icon set as well. However, it pretty much depends on the core developers.

Maybe we should have a vote?

Cheers,
-Ad

PS: I'll be away on vacation tomorrow till end of next week. So you may not receive any response from me till then.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:31]

Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9818 is a reply to message #9811] Fri, 01 June 2007 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, what about to make this configurable?

Mirek
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9819 is a reply to message #9818] Fri, 01 June 2007 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I don't like the new package icon as well, even more than original version Smile.
As for making it configurable. That was my first idea. We could also ship theide with 2,3 default icon set to choose.
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9820 is a reply to message #9818] Fri, 01 June 2007 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 08:13

Mirek

I agree. I do not mind the original icon, so if one can choose or easily set a different set of icons is from far much better.

Luigi

[Updated on: Fri, 01 June 2007 10:31]

Re: UPP with Tango look [message #9829 is a reply to message #9820] Fri, 01 June 2007 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
forlano wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 10:30

luzr wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 08:13

Mirek

I agree. I do not mind the original icon, so if one can choose or easily set a different set of icons is from far much better.

Luigi

I agree as well. I just thought that it's worth proposing different icons sets to make everybody happy, and to increase the user's freedom. Smile

Lionel
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #10409 is a reply to message #9829] Fri, 06 July 2007 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hi,

I would like to know the consensus on the icons. I've recently tried out ActiveState Komodo and have noticed that they use the SILK icons for their toolbars and widgets. It is pretty nice and usable.

So what is it gonna be?
I really think that improving the icons will make it a lot more pleasant to work with and give it a professional feel. Smile

Thanks,
-Ad
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #10430 is a reply to message #10409] Mon, 09 July 2007 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I guess the consensus is to make it configurable.

Mirek
icon13.gif  Re: UPP with Tango look [message #29366 is a reply to message #10430] Sat, 16 October 2010 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi
All are only talks!!! can anyone do anything useful in here like making it in upp ide binary package Sad Mad Embarassed ?
Newbies don't want advanced steps like compiling Rolling Eyes
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #29380 is a reply to message #29366] Sat, 16 October 2010 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Rishi wrote on Sat, 16 October 2010 09:42

All are only talks!!! can anyone do anything useful in here like making it in upp ide binary package Sad Mad Embarassed ?
Newbies don't want advanced steps like compiling Rolling Eyes

Hi,

Newbies should use default look. There's no time for everyone preferences. Improving the look of TheIDE doesn't make anyone more productive.
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #33006 is a reply to message #9778] Wed, 29 June 2011 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
galious is currently offline  galious
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 11:20

Is any of this in the pipeline? Or how would it look like to be implemented (if it's not too much work I'm volunteering...)

I would like to use some (in my opinion) better looking icons in the RichEdit control without rewriting it complete myself. So someway to replace the default icons would be very welcome. Would the current CtrlImg and RichEditImg etc. classes become some wrapper which looks whether another 'look' is configured and pass through this image or return the default one? Any opinions? Or is there already a way to do this?

Best regards,

Martin
Re: UPP with Tango look [message #33012 is a reply to message #9770] Thu, 30 June 2011 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
galious is currently offline  galious
Promising Member
To follow up on this; is it possible to add a NullImage to the list of one uses the IMAGE_DATA construct.

E.G.

// Icon image
IMAGE_DATA(0x12, 0x13, 0x14)
// NullImage to indicate the default image has to be used
IMAGE_DATA()

I can't test the above code at the moment. Will try to do it soon.

Best regards,

Martin
Previous Topic: Font drawing in linux
Next Topic: Unable to locate theme engine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:33:12 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01829 seconds