Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ?
Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9799] Thu, 31 May 2007 00:05 Go to next message
ivec is currently offline  ivec
Hi,
I have been evaluating GUI frameworks lately, and I have to say that UPP has captured my attention (relatively modern use of C++ etc).
On the negative front, I have to say that I'd prefer avoiding unnecessary idiosyncrasies: use standard C++ library, STL containers, and boost whenever possible; consider HTML rather than home-made QTF(right?), etc.

I have one main problem: I am very much impressed by TheIDE (debugger integration, etc - top-class!), but I don't see myself getting to use it.
Things I missed (maybe I didn't know where to look) are browsing tools like "go to definition" of a name, and many other navigation/debugging features available in Visual Studio (2005+).
[ Another key thing: I have started to use vim-style editing in Visual studio -- yes, I'm a recent convert, see http://blog.ngedit.com/2005/06/03/the-vi-input-model/ ].

My question is:
- How easy is it to use upp libraries from Visual Studio ?

I realize I may have to switch to TheIDE for resource editing etc, but would I be able to compile, run, and debug the code from Visual Studio ?
Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9800 is a reply to message #9799] Thu, 31 May 2007 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
ivec wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 18:05

My question is:
- How easy is it to use upp libraries from Visual Studio ?

You might want to take a look at two discussions listed below.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th= 2097&goto=9274#msg_9274
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2262& amp;start=0&

Regards,
Novo
Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9801 is a reply to message #9799] Thu, 31 May 2007 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member

Things I missed (maybe I didn't know where to look) are browsing tools like "go to definition" of a name, and many other

Alt+J (goto) / Alt+I (cycle definitions/declarations) (not perfect yet).

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2007 05:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9841 is a reply to message #9801] Fri, 01 June 2007 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 05:26

Things I missed (maybe I didn't know where to look) are browsing tools like "go to definition" of a name, and many other

Alt+J (goto) / Alt+I (cycle definitions/declarations) (not perfect yet).

And Alt + left and right cursor keys for back and next.

BTW currently I'm using Visual Studio and TheIde for two different projects and I can say, TheIde is much more comfortable and faster to develop with, because of:
* much better keyboard shortcuts
* much, much faster compilation

And an other thing: when I started to use U++, U++ core was a strange thing for me, just like for you. But after learning it, I like it much better than STL, because of it's simplicity and speed.

Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9861 is a reply to message #9841] Mon, 04 June 2007 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
zsolt wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 15:44

* much better keyboard shortcuts

If TheIDE could emulate vi it would be even better, because in vi you don't need even arrow keys. Main keyboard shortcuts are single keys (instead of Ctrl/Alt combinations). Basically, your hands do not move at all. Smile

Sorry for the interruption.

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2007 16:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9862 is a reply to message #9861] Mon, 04 June 2007 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Yes vim is a useful editor/ide. When I started to use U++, I used gvim to edit code and TheIde for resources, as my primary editor was vim for years.
But for me it is much more convenient to use TheIde for everything after learning it's keyboard shortcuts.
TheIde is really powerful, I think.
Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9863 is a reply to message #9862] Mon, 04 June 2007 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
zsolt wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 12:01

TheIde is really powerful, I think.

Agree.
Although this discussion is not related to editing habits ...

It is impossible to assign h,j,k,l keys in TheIDE currently, because there are no separate normal and insert modes. You have to use arrow keys ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9864 is a reply to message #9863] Mon, 04 June 2007 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Novo wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 19:00

You have to use arrow keys ...

Big problem Wink

BTW, keyboard shortcuts are here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Keys$en-us.html

I think Alt+Left and Alt+Right are missing.
Re: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ? [message #9865 is a reply to message #9864] Mon, 04 June 2007 20:29 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Thanks.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: analizing a crash file
Next Topic: A few new user questions and comments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:41:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01691 seconds