Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Callbacks and Timers » Question about PostCallback from Child Thread
Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10481] Wed, 11 July 2007 16:12 Go to next message
kfeng is currently offline  kfeng
Promising Member
Hi,

I have a question about PostCallback.

Let's say I call the function from a child thread (parent thread is the main GUI loop):

PostCallback(callback2(myInst, &MyClass::MyCB, arg1, arg2 ));

Is this a blocking call (synch) or non-blocking (asynch)?
I am asking, because if it's blocking, the result should be the same as:

PostCallback(callback(myInst, &MyClass:MyCB2));
void
MyClass::MyCB2()
{
arg1 = GetArg1();
arg2 = GetArg2();
}

My child thread writes to arg1 and arg2 - the GUI thread reads. If PostCallback doesn't block, I can have a race condition in the second case. Asynch would also imply that PostCallback() does some kind of locking of arg1 and arg2, so the child thread can't write to it while the GUI is reading.

I'm asking because what if I need to pass a bunch (10?) of arguments. Should I put them in 1 struct/class and use callback1(). I was lazy earlier today and tried the 2nd example above, but now, I'm having second thoughts...

Can someone explain the mechanism here?
Thank you.

Regards,
Ken

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2007 16:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10484 is a reply to message #10481] Wed, 11 July 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Async / Non-blocking. It gets performed when GUI thread goes idle after processing messages (if any).

Callback queue itself is MT protected.

Also, callback gets invoked by GUI thread - it is in fact the best way how worker thread is supposed to communicate with it, means you do not need to worry too much about protecting data, there can only be a single GUI thread, means now two Callbacks from Callback (timer) queue can be processed at the same time.

And yes, to pass 10 parameters, put them into struct and use callback1.
Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10487 is a reply to message #10481] Thu, 12 July 2007 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Excellent. Thank you for the quick reply, Mirek.

Regards,
Ken

Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10488 is a reply to message #10481] Thu, 12 July 2007 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
OK, suppose I have a C struct with a bunch of pointers to the heap:

struct
{
int *intP;
double *doubleP;
char **strP;
}

It's filled out by the child process and I pass a pointer to an instance to PostCallback(). Will PostCallback() be smart enough to lock all the pointed-to members? If not, is there a way to make the child thread block and wait until the parent is done reading?

The problem is **strP - I need this to run fast so I don't want to be looping through the members locking each one by hand - may be simpler to just get the child to wait for the parent to finish. Is there a way I can do this to a child thread?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ken

Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10500 is a reply to message #10488] Thu, 12 July 2007 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kfeng wrote on Thu, 12 July 2007 00:11

struct
{
int *intP;
double *doubleP;
char **strP;
}

It's filled out by the child process and I pass a pointer to an instance to PostCallback(). Will PostCallback() be smart enough to lock all the pointed-to members? If not, is there a way to make the child thread block and wait until the parent is done reading?

The problem is **strP - I need this to run fast so I don't want to be looping through the members locking each one by hand - may be simpler to just get the child to wait for the parent to finish. Is there a way I can do this to a child thread?

Now I am a little bit confused.... First of all, "pointers to the heap" sounds like a bad practice if you are following U++ path of things.... Anyway, surely can happen.

Then the question is what "locking each one by hand" is supposed to mean.

In MT, what you have to lock (using mutex) is data that at specific moment can be accessible by more than single thread. Is this the case? Note that if you e.g. create heap data than are only passed using PostCallback and are not references anywhere else, you do not need to lock.

Now another question is why do you want to lock one by one? You can have single mutex protecting the whole array.... and lock just before the loop, unlock after.

Mirek
Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10515 is a reply to message #10500] Fri, 13 July 2007 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 12 July 2007 21:54

kfeng wrote on Thu, 12 July 2007 00:11

struct
{
int *intP;
double *doubleP;
char **strP;
}

Now I am a little bit confused.... First of all, "pointers to the heap" sounds like a bad practice if you are following U++ path of things.... Anyway, surely can happen.

Then the question is what "locking each one by hand" is supposed to mean.

In MT, what you have to lock (using mutex) is data that at specific moment can be accessible by more than single thread. Is this the case? Note that if you e.g. create heap data than are only passed using PostCallback and are not references anywhere else, you do not need to lock.

Now another question is why do you want to lock one by one? You can have single mutex protecting the whole array.... and lock just before the loop, unlock after.

Mirek

OK. My apologies. Let me start from the beginning. I am using a 3rd party C library for retrieving real-time financial tickdata. In my first non-GUI pure-C non-MT program. the sequence looks like this:

1. Connect to server
2. Blocking wait for the server to send tickdata
3. Read the tickdata
4. Release the memory using their library function (since they did the allocation, they need me to release when I'm done)
5. Goto 2

Now the ugly part is the data. It doesn't come in one big block. Instead it looks like this:

typedef struct _x {
  int nCols;
  int nRows;
  union {
    double* pD;
    int*    pI;
    char**  pS;
  }
} *xArray;

So you can imagine that xArray is an array of columns represented by pointers to different types. In other words, xArray represents a "table" as an array of individually contiguous chunks of memory. xArray[0].pI[0] represents the first integer is the first column, if the first column is known to be an integer type. xArray[0].pI[3] represents the fourth integer in the first column. Hence, we know that xArray[0].pI is one contiguous chunk of memory. It gets ugly if we have pS, I think. xArray[1].pS[1] is the second string in the second column which is a contiguous list of strings. As I understand it, locking xArray[0].pI is sufficient, but I must lock each of xArray[1].pS[0..(nRows-1)].

But maybe this is where my thinking is wrong. My confusion lies in the wrong assumption that I needed to lock all the little malloc'ed pieces of memory. After rethinking the problem, and rewriting this e-mail over many interations, I can understand your confusion (because >I< was confused!).

A. xArray result = ReadFromLibrary_Blocking(); // Child Thread
B. call PostCallback( callback( ..., result ); // Asynchronous in Child Thread
C. Goto A. // Child Thread

X. Read result into GUI // Parent GUI Thread
Y. Free result // Parent GUI Thread
Z. Automatically unlocks result on exit from method // Parent

Here are the facts:
* Child Thread creates new result for every A.
* Parent won't read result until GUI is ready and result is in the PostCallback() queue.
* Parent will free result when it's done and Child never cares because once it's passed into the parent, it never reads/writes to the variable again.

So what is pointed to by result will never be read/written by two different threads. Information flows in one direction, sequentially from child thread(s) to parent GUI thread, so in fact, it's >NOT< the "locking" service that is required from PostCallback - rather, it's the queueing mechanism that's important in this case. In the worst-case-scenario, if the child process runs super-fast relative to the GUI, the "result" variable in the child gets overwritten many times, but the parent doesn't care - "result"'s value (ie the address to malloc'ed memory) is simply queued up by PostCallback() for later consumption.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to explain and to read this. I really learned a great deal!

Regards,
Ken

Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10516 is a reply to message #10515] Fri, 13 July 2007 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, two more hints:

- you can also consider whether you should process these data to something else before posting to avoid breaking "get" and "release" library calls into two thread. If not, I think you whould have a lock for the whole library used, you can never say what is going on inside....

- also, this does not sound like a compelling case for multithreading....
Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10517 is a reply to message #10516] Fri, 13 July 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 13 July 2007 17:31

Well, two more hints:

- you can also consider whether you should process these data to something else before posting to avoid breaking "get" and "release" library calls into two thread. If not, I think you whould have a lock for the whole library used, you can never say what is going on inside....

- also, this does not sound like a compelling case for multithreading....

According to documentation the server on the other side of the library will just continuing to queue prices until your next read.

Now that I understand MT a little bit more, you got me thinking some more. I am currently using a blocking version of the function call to grab prices, but a non-blocking one is also available.

I used to think blocking is always better, but now, I wonder if it is more efficient to poll every second using the non-blocking call in a non-MT app. I think your supposition is right - that the non-blocking will be fast enough that it shouldn't impact user experience in the GUI. A good example would be an application to view your portfolio's profit & loss - don't care if it's a second late.

However, if latency is important enough that you don't want to set a timer, like an algorithmic black-box for automated trading, then blocking + MT is probably better. But most likely greater latency will show up in other parts of the system, but since it's cumulative, it could be better to squeeze as much as you can out of it. You've opened my eyes again...

I will try both ways next week in the office...

- Ken

Re: Question about PostCallback from Child Thread [message #10545 is a reply to message #10517] Sun, 15 July 2007 11:52 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
BTW, there is a little dirty secret about current PostCallback implementation.... It gets invoked on global timer event only now (each about 10ms, if there are no other GUI events), so you are not going to save any latency compared to simply setting a 10ms timer Smile
Previous Topic: "Suicide Buttons Array" or how to re-index callbacks or...?
Next Topic: How to use callback with 3 parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:24:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01588 seconds