FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Develop Proprietary application using UPP
Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10584] Tue, 17 July 2007 18:48 Go to next message
johnevans77 is currently offline  johnevans77
Dear All,

Is it possible to develop proprietary, closed-source application on Windows/Linux using Ultimate++?

Please advice,
Thanks in advance,
JE
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10586 is a reply to message #10584] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
johnevans77 wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 12:48

Dear All,

Is it possible to develop proprietary, closed-source application on Windows/Linux using Ultimate++?

Please advice,
Thanks in advance,
JE

Yes! In fact, we encourage that Smile The only prohibited thing is to distribute the source without copyright files... (at least, that is my understanding of BSD license we use Smile

Anyway, not all parts of U++ are BSD or compatible licenses - there is one LGPL exception, ndisasm - disassembler used in TheIDE debuggger.

Obviously, you are not going to use that package in usuall application, but it serves well as an example: Always check COPYING (or similar) files of packages to be absolutely sure. OTOH, we have a rule not to use any 3rd party sources that could cause any problems...

Mirek
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10587 is a reply to message #10584] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kknd is currently offline  Kknd
Promising Member
Upp itself are distribuited under the BSD license, a very permissive license, that permits you to devlop a proprietary application.

I do not know if Upp also uses Gtk or other libs, so I don't know the correct awser to your question.
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10588 is a reply to message #10587] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Kknd wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 15:29

I do not know if Upp also uses Gtk or other libs, so I don't know the correct awser to your question.

On Linux, it links with GTK dynamic libraries (the only reason is to use them as theming API).

GTK libraries are LGPL -> it should cause no problems.
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10591 is a reply to message #10588] Tue, 17 July 2007 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kknd is currently offline  Kknd
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 16:31

Kknd wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 15:29

On Linux, it links with GTK dynamic libraries (the only reason is to use them as theming API).

GTK libraries are LGPL -> it should cause no problems.

Nice!

I'm really impressed by Ultimate++.
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10593 is a reply to message #10591] Tue, 17 July 2007 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
Quote:

and you can even do without them (as I do), compiling with .NOGTK flag setted in main package configuration. This way interface is more responsive, I find it more suitable at least for debugging purposes.

Ciao,
David
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10599 is a reply to message #10593] Wed, 18 July 2007 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnevans77 is currently offline  johnevans77
Dear All,

Thank you very much for all answers. And surprised Mirek still has time to answer this simple question.

Now, we plan to migrate from wxWidgets (using DialogBlocks for GUI designer) to Ultimate++. We are still evaluating but it seems that upp is so promising.

Best regards,
JE
Re: Develop Proprietary application using UPP [message #10600 is a reply to message #10599] Wed, 18 July 2007 09:01 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
johnevans77 wrote on Tue, 17 July 2007 23:07

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all answers. And surprised Mirek still has time to answer this simple question.

Answering simple questions takes much less time and energy Smile

Mirek
Previous Topic: deciding whether to use this or VC on windows
Next Topic: How to detect application built using Ultimate++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:32:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01362 seconds