Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Native Icon Themeing
Native Icon Themeing [message #10756] Fri, 27 July 2007 19:15 Go to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I've been playing around with picking up native/themed icons from GTK and Windows at run-time and I thought I'd share the results. I've attached two shots of my hacked FileSel (both using identical cross platform code) and personally I think it's a substantial improvement. I haven't bothered changing the button icons.

I'd really like an interface where I could specify the icon set to be used - either CtrlLib, native, or a different set altogether. This would require lots of changes to CtrlLib so it's not really practical to do it just for myself, but if it could be patched in I'd be happy to do the work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
James
  • Attachment: XPTheme.png
    (Size: 48.10KB, Downloaded 608 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 27 July 2007 19:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Native Icon Themeing [message #10757 is a reply to message #10756] Fri, 27 July 2007 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Gtk Theme
  • Attachment: GtkTheme.png
    (Size: 68.23KB, Downloaded 564 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 27 July 2007 19:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Native Icon Themeing [message #10762 is a reply to message #10757] Fri, 27 July 2007 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

That's really great! I was thinking about it too, but I also wanted to allow a user to drag any directory to the shortcut panel. Such links should be stored "somewhere". By somewhere I mean application "*.cfg" file or maybe better some global system storage. In vista there is such a storage located at c:\users\user_name\links, where system just creates file links. Probably GNOME and KDE has similar places. The only problem is XP and 9X. In this case shortcut list should be placed somewhere in the registry. If you could also add simple list instead of icons in shortcut panel that would be really cool.
Re: Native Icon Themeing [message #10763 is a reply to message #10756] Fri, 27 July 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
Hi James,

I like the new look of the fileselector!

But for my personal apps I would always use the host / native file selctor. Only if I need some special functionality I would try to build my own file selector.

I guess this depends on the audience who you are targeting. If your app is for a wide range of users out there in the wild, wild internet I think it is best to come as close as possible to common "standards". Everything which behaves or looks different may rejected easily by a user.

You see this with many succesfull apps for example at downloads.com. Usually these apps can be installed painlessly. The look and feel is nice and follows the common standard. Well "skinning" may seen as a "standard" too for some kind of apps.

And even a different look of a file selctor may cost some users...

Things are more relaxed for apps written for individual companys or a limitid audience. Many apps I have seen which costs millions of dollars for one license are often hard to install and well sometimes look like ... not so good ...

For The Ide I consider a different looking file selctor not as a big problem. The internals far outweight some rough corners.

I guess this in not only true for windows.
Many GNOME and KDE users react very alergic for GUIs which looks like XP...

Anyway, I prefer the new file selctor.

- Ralf
Re: Native Icon Themeing [message #10765 is a reply to message #10763] Fri, 27 July 2007 22:43 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
You can have Windows native fileselector.

For Gnome (or X11 generally), it is unfortunately most likely impossible to mix 2 GUI toolkits. Well, we barely achieved Chameleon/GTK, but that is passive. The problem is that GTK event loop would not distribute events to U++ and vice versa...

As for fileselector, I was thinking about similar changes too (that makes us 4 Wink. I would also like to add "preview" soon...

Mirek
Previous Topic: Chameleon-ized EditField
Next Topic: QT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:29:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01529 seconds