FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 710-dev1 released
Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12034] Tue, 09 October 2007 09:30 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Here it is: 710-dev1. It seems we have now monthly not weekly dev-releases, but that will change soon (on the other hand the changelog is longer Wink )

Changes since 709-dev1:
  • fixed problems with GUI and the new sqlite3 (thanks to dmcgeoch)
  • Sql::Begin and SqlSession::Begin now perform ClearErrors
  • added void Sql::Get(Fields fo) More here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2719& amp; amp; amp;start=0&
  • added String SqlSession::GetErrorCodeString(). Some databases like Postgres return "stringed" error codes.
  • added SqlSession::WhenDatabaseActivity(ActivityStatus status) callback. Status can be (for now) EXECUTING, END_EXECUTING, FETCHING, END_FETCHING. It can be used to react on database activity (for example mouse cursor can change then, progress bar can be displayed and so on)
  • fixed QuickTabs highlighting problems
  • added popuped menu with Close item to QuickTabs
  • added network browsing class NetNode (for now, in Win32)
  • EditField::NullText now has variant with Font parameter
  • added EditField::SetInactiveConvert(Convert &c) - allow to set convert class used when focus is out of edit field
  • added Image Win32DllIcon(const char *dll, int ii, bool large) to retrieve icon as image from given dll file.
  • fixed Splitter SetMin which wrongly used the 10000 ratio instead of pixels. This new method should use directly pixels....
  • almost all calls to Win32 API in Core are now implemented to use unicode variant (like CreateFileW)
  • painting Image for low-level machines was optimized
  • fixed 2 regression bugs of DateTimeCtrl. More here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2773& amp; amp; amp;start=0&
  • TheIDE Ctrl+F1 now searches help for the current word
  • added value parameter to ArrayCtrl::SetCtrl. More here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2779& amp; amp; amp;start=0&
  • added IdCtrls - a new very small utility class, modeled after SqlCtrls. More here: http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2780& amp; amp; amp;start=0&
  • fixed a problem in CtrlCore which prevented closing the window with long operations and many timer events
  • many DropGrid fixes (resizing problems, null value caused selecting first item on list) and GridCtrl fixes (multiline highlighing is now supported, item editable state is now respected when ctrls are shown)

Enjoy Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2007 20:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12049 is a reply to message #12034] Tue, 09 October 2007 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I want this on Linux!!!!!!!!

David
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12052 is a reply to message #12034] Tue, 09 October 2007 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi,

what about an SVN commit Wink?

Matthias
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12055 is a reply to message #12052] Tue, 09 October 2007 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

masu wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 12:49

Hi,
what about an SVN commit Wink?

Of course... done Smile
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12057 is a reply to message #12049] Tue, 09 October 2007 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
waxblood wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 16:54

David

I think it's not as stable as in windows....
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12058 is a reply to message #12057] Tue, 09 October 2007 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 20:38

waxblood wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 16:54

David

I think it's not as stable as in windows....

I know, I know.... the fact is I'm getting a little tired about programs 'not being as stable as in windows' :/ .

I use Blender too and in Windows is a pleasure to use, on Linux, well, some things like Game Engine are forbidden, you use them, Blender inexorably crashes....

Since IMO Ultimate++ is an outstanding product in the Linux world, it's a pity Linux releases are left behind.

David

Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12060 is a reply to message #12058] Tue, 09 October 2007 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Since IMO Ultimate++ is an outstanding product in the Linux world, it's a pity Linux releases are left behind.

Our main Linux maintainer is very busy now. So for now linux packages are prepared only if we release stable versions. On the other hand nothing prevents you to compile new ide using the old one. It's very easy. I did it many times on my Arch-linux. Of course sometimes small compile bugs must be fixed but in most cases this is not a problem even for beginner programmer.
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12092 is a reply to message #12060] Wed, 10 October 2007 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 22:35

Our main Linux maintainer is very busy now. So for now linux packages are prepared only if we release stable versions. On the other hand nothing prevents you to compile new ide using the old one. It's very easy. I did it many times on my Arch-linux. Of course sometimes small compile bugs must be fixed but in most cases this is not a problem even for beginner programmer.

I did it, but theide from uvs crashes too often on my ubuntu, it has some memory leak that it's not so easy to find without knowing very well all the packages. OTOH, the stable version is rock solid.
That's a pity, because the uvs release has many enhancements....
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12105 is a reply to message #12092] Wed, 10 October 2007 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 10 October 2007 20:52

I did it, but theide from uvs crashes too often on my ubuntu, it has some memory leak that it's not so easy to find without knowing very well all the packages. OTOH, the stable version is rock solid.
That's a pity, because the uvs release has many enhancements....

Plus, I've tried uvs version one month ago and it had a problem with ASM code which forced me to use gcc v3.3 (which is slow on compiling...), and changing the compiler version drives upp crazy, so it is necessary to delete ~/.theide directory entirely every time compiler version is changed (I've tried deleting single files and combinations of them inside ~/.theide, but nothing worked)

Right now I can't get last uvs version. I've tried to connect to the new uvs server in the last 3 days without results - Does anybody have the same problem (or have I miscalculated the new IP Rolling Eyes )?

David

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2007 00:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12108 is a reply to message #12105] Thu, 11 October 2007 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Anybody to volunteer to be a Bas's backup as Linux release maintainer?

Mirek
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12110 is a reply to message #12034] Thu, 11 October 2007 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael is currently offline  michael
Experienced Member
After rebuilding my project with 710-dev1 on Windows XP i got these errors:

Creating library...
MySql: 1 file(s) built in (0:01.71), 1719 msecs / file, duration = 1719 msecs
C:/upp/out/MySql/MINGW.Gui\MySql.a (72568 B) created in (0:00.01)
----- Sql ( GUI GCC WIN32 ) (3 / 13)
SqlCase.cpp
SqlVal.cpp
SqlBool.cpp
SqlSet.cpp
SqlStatement.cpp
Sql.cpp
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:480: error: stray '@' in program
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:496: error: stray '@' in program
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:498: error: stray '@' in program
SqlSchema.cpp
util_td.cpp
Creating library...
Sql: 8 file(s) built in (0:18.20), 2275 msecs / file, duration = 18203 msecs

There were errors. (2:10.92)
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12111 is a reply to message #12108] Thu, 11 October 2007 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 05:43

Mirek

Hmmmm... the problem is that one should have a VERY deep knowledge of Upp internals.... In particular with memory leaks errors like the one I got.
BTW, if you keeps svn in sync with uvs, I could try to help, I don't feel too confortable with UVS and have no time to learn it.
In particular, I don't know how to fetch previous releases, some bugs require regression tests to find out where they happens.

I did some works on Wine some years ago, but then I had the full cvs repository replicated locally, so it was quite easy to locate regression problems.

If it's easy with UVS too (and you tell me where to find some info about it) I can at least try locate the 'biggest' bugs, like this memory leak. But I really should be able to go back step-by-step from later devel, finding a memory leak in UPP otherwise would be a nightmare, and locating a bug having only the later stable release and the current devel is an huge task too.

Ciao

Max
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12112 is a reply to message #12111] Thu, 11 October 2007 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

BTW, if you keeps svn in sync with uvs, I could try to help, I don't feel too confortable with UVS and have no time to learn it.
In particular, I don't know how to fetch previous releases, some bugs require regression tests to find out where they happens.

Best you can do is to contact Bas. He has build scripts, which do evertything automaticaly. Probably they do not update uvs, but this is extremaly easy - one button, one press, your uvs is fresh Smile
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12114 is a reply to message #12112] Thu, 11 October 2007 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 12:20

Best you can do is to contact Bas. He has build scripts, which do evertything automaticaly. Probably they do not update uvs, but this is extremaly easy - one button, one press, your uvs is fresh Smile

Uhmmmm... what I need is the ability to go back starting from latest devel back to the stable release, in small steps, in order to find (with a binary search) where did the troubles came.
With svn I know how to do, with uvs no. And I've seen that svn is not updated very often, which makes difficult to find the cause of regression bugs.
For example, if from stable release to devel you made 1000 small changes, which are recorded daily on svn, I start testing the version on the change n. 500, if it's ok I continue with 750, if not with 250, up to find the change that did the bug, which is probabily a small change in code.
If I start with only stable and latest devel, I must search inside huge code changes with no hint, which is much more difficult and requires deep knowledge on upp.
That's the benefit of having svn updated very often.

Ciao

Max
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12117 is a reply to message #12111] Thu, 11 October 2007 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 05:56

luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 05:43

Mirek

Hmmmm... the problem is that one should have a VERY deep knowledge of Upp internals.... In particular with memory leaks errors like the one I got.

Actually, no worry about that, all you are expected to do is to report that things gone wrong. Fixing bugs is not a primary task of linux maintainer. Providing (and perhaps maintaining) makefiles/.deb/.rpm is the point...

Quote:

There really is not much to learn, the only operation provided makes your source tree up-to-date...

Quote:

I did some works on Wine some years ago, but then I had the full cvs repository replicated locally, so it was quite easy to locate regression problems.

Local repository is default for uvs - one of few advantages we do not like to be abandoned.... exactly for this reason.

Mirek
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12118 is a reply to message #12110] Thu, 11 October 2007 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
michael wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 05:43

After rebuilding my project with 710-dev1 on Windows XP i got these errors:

Creating library...
MySql: 1 file(s) built in (0:01.71), 1719 msecs / file, duration = 1719 msecs
C:/upp/out/MySql/MINGW.Gui\MySql.a (72568 B) created in (0:00.01)
----- Sql ( GUI GCC WIN32 ) (3 / 13)
SqlCase.cpp
SqlVal.cpp
SqlBool.cpp
SqlSet.cpp
SqlStatement.cpp
Sql.cpp
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:480: error: stray '@' in program
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:496: error: stray '@' in program
C:\upp\uppsrc\Sql\Sql.cpp:498: error: stray '@' in program
SqlSchema.cpp
util_td.cpp
Creating library...
Sql: 8 file(s) built in (0:18.20), 2275 msecs / file, duration = 18203 msecs

There were errors. (2:10.92)

Sorry... On those lines you will see DLOGs or DDUMPs. Just delete them please.

(This is a "tool" to detect forgotten LOGs in the code - obviously, this time, gone wrong... Daniel, we should compile release mode of some SQL app too before releasing next time Smile

Mirek
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12120 is a reply to message #12118] Thu, 11 October 2007 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 15:44

(This is a "tool" to detect forgotten LOGs in the code - obviously, this time, gone wrong... Daniel, we should compile release mode of some SQL app too before releasing next time Smile

Sorry about that one.. I skiped the tests in this release simply because of time. Soon releases will be more frequent and better tested.
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12121 is a reply to message #12117] Thu, 11 October 2007 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 21:41

Actually, no worry about that, all you are expected to do is to report that things gone wrong. Fixing bugs is not a primary task of linux maintainer. Providing (and perhaps maintaining) makefiles/.deb/.rpm is the point...

I thought you worried about regression problems on Linux, as the one I stumped on... creating makefiles/deb/rpms is just a question of scripts running daily, but I don't see the point of providing a linux deb/rpm that is too buggy to be useful.

Quote:

There really is not much to learn, the only operation provided makes your source tree up-to-date...

You mean that with UVS you can't go back to a previous release ?

Quote:

Local repository is default for uvs - one of few advantages we do not like to be abandoned.... exactly for this reason.

Well, you can do that mirroring a svn repository too, that was what I did with cvs and wine. Of course, cvs had too many other problems, but svn does a quite good job.

In conclusion, IMHO, the big Linux problem for now is not a lack of ready-to-use packages for devel releases (getting the soft with uvs/svn is quite simple, and using stable release to compile it is even simpler), but open bugs of linux version that makes it useful only for testing purposes.

Ciao

Max
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12123 is a reply to message #12121] Thu, 11 October 2007 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 17:48

luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 21:41

I thought you worried about regression problems on Linux, as the one I stumped on... creating makefiles/deb/rpms is just a question of scripts running daily, but I don't see the point of providing a linux deb/rpm that is too buggy to be useful.

Well, the one is to actually find out that there are bugs...
No releases, no bugs detected...

(That said, I have compiled fresh theide on Ubuntu yesterday and saw no bugs. Everything was stable.).

Quote:

In conclusion, IMHO, the big Linux problem for now is not a lack of ready-to-use packages for devel releases (getting the soft with uvs/svn is quite simple, and using stable release to compile it is even simpler), but open bugs of linux version that makes it useful only for testing purposes.

Well, the real trouble is that as there are no releases, there is zero feedback... Too much often the problem only manifests for particular machine / windows manager etc...

Anyway, do not suppose that the issue of providing packages is simple...

Mirek
Re: Upp 710-dev1 released [message #12127 is a reply to message #12123] Fri, 12 October 2007 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 11 October 2007 23:58

Well, the one is to actually find out that there are bugs...
No releases, no bugs detected...

here I agree Razz

Quote:

(That said, I have compiled fresh theide on Ubuntu yesterday and saw no bugs. Everything was stable.).

Well, I did an uvs update now, it gives me release 709r74, compiled it and the same problem.... I open a main package, then I change to other main package and theide crashes.
Maybe I'm not using well UVS ?

Quote:

Well, the real trouble is that as there are no releases, there is zero feedback... Too much often the problem only manifests for particular machine / windows manager etc...

Ok, here I agree again. But the bad is when you get a bad feedback after 1000 commits... finding where it is becomes hard !

Quote:

Anyway, do not suppose that the issue of providing packages is simple...

Not simple starting, I think, but once you've got some scripts ready, that should only be boring Smile

Ciao

Max
Previous Topic: Upp 709-dev1 released
Next Topic: uvs2 IP address changed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:53:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01375 seconds