Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » WIKI
WIKI [message #12145] Fri, 12 October 2007 21:33 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, it looks like wiki never started to have any effect and recently, it is only the target of spammers...

Therefore, it seems to be the most appropriate action to cancel it, at least unless somebody agrees to take the role of maintainer.

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #12879 is a reply to message #12145] Sat, 24 November 2007 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
We can at least stop the spammers by requiring that people log in to the thing. That seems to slow down most spammers of wiki sites significantly.

I just finished removing a ton of spam left on the pages, and I'm hoping I got it all. Unfortunately, I don't know how to revert to the original content (I'll see if I can figure that out later).
Re: WIKI [message #13135 is a reply to message #12145] Sat, 15 December 2007 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Well, if someone would take the role of maintainer, will be nice. Doing the maintainer job is not a hardly job, I belive I will can allocate some minutes daily, maintaining wiki, removing spam, etc.
If no one want do that, i will be happy to give a hand. I am at the beginning road of programming with Ultimate++, so if I can help in someway, it will be nice.
Best wishes, CAN.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: WIKI [message #13137 is a reply to message #12145] Sat, 15 December 2007 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Removed spam from wiki, still need advanced rights to delete some unused(created) pages.

Re: WIKI [message #13177 is a reply to message #13137] Tue, 18 December 2007 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Thanks, anyway, the real question is whether we need wiki?

It was active for more than year, for which period only about 4 articles emerged.

IMO, most of U++ knowledge concentrates here in the forum. Perhaps we can stay this way for now.

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #13291 is a reply to message #13177] Sat, 29 December 2007 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
phirox is currently offline  phirox
I am using upp for 3 weeks now, and I really like the way its setup. IMHO the approach to c++ is unique, refreshing and absolutly brilliant.

What I really missed though is good documentation. Everything is spread around, or so it feels for the beginner. Therfor my start was a bit hard especially since I use TheIDE under linux.

I think that a good Wiki could help with that, it's an easy way to reference to existing manuals or forum posts. There wouldn't be any need to rewrite old material, just copy'n'paste it. Even from Topic++ where needed. Also adding content is a lot easier for most people and nowadays even familiar.

I would seriously suggest closing anonymous posting, especially with so little activity.

Also there needs to be a small basis to work on, right now its just 'installed'. If you need a maintainer I might be interested if you want to continue with it. Its good practice for me too Smile
Re: WIKI [message #13293 is a reply to message #12145] Sun, 30 December 2007 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi phirox. I wrote about wiki to Mirek.
Quote:

It seems that wiki is a target for spammers. Daily, from when I'm in, I've removed lot of spam. Seems that no one maintain this wiki, even his logo isn't set yet. I wrote on forum but no one said nothing about who maintain wiki. If you want i can help, removing unused pages and spam. Or if wiki isn't necessary you may remove it because now it is just bad publicity for Ultimate Project.

The response was:
Quote:

Yes. Actually, wiki is accessible through main page button by mistake only....

It seems that for moment the wiki isn't needed. Mainly documentation comes with TheIde. You may see the examples and figure out how these work, than make some programs(TheIde have autocompletion which really help).
Well, if you will be the maintainer, you absolve me from removing wiki spamm(see wiki-pages history). Thanks.

(hope you understand what i want to say Very Happy )
The English language is for me the strangest strange language Rolling Eyes ;

Re: WIKI [message #13302 is a reply to message #13293] Mon, 31 December 2007 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield wrote on Sun, 30 December 2007 13:33

Hi It seems that for moment the wiki isn't needed. Mainly documentation comes with TheIde. You may see the examples and figure out how these work, than make some programs(TheIde have autocompletion which really help).
Well, if you will be the maintainer, you absolve me from removing wiki spamm(see wiki-pages history). Thanks.

(hope you understand what i want to say Very Happy )
The English language is for me the strangest strange language Rolling Eyes ;

Hi bytefield,

First of all I understand what you're saying, your english isn't that bad Smile

There is definitely enough material to work on, especially through examples. And Assist++ kicks ass. But a wiki would contribute more to the metadata about upp. Things that wouldn't make the normal documentation. But as you say; the decision lies with Mirek.
Re: WIKI [message #13304 is a reply to message #12145] Mon, 31 December 2007 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi. Will be nice to have some articles on wiki, but not to copy&paste them from Upp site(or docs.). A maintainer is need indeed. Some policy must be applied(like posting just if you're logged in) if we want a clean wiki. In that way the wiki remain clean, it will grow with useful articles, tutorials, etc. and you are sure that what you write will not disappear (when spam arrive, because I hope applying nice policy will stop spammers or slacken them).
Also we may consider updating wiki to a new version(i guess there is not latest version installed). If Mirek don't respond to this message you may send a PM, see what he say about your suggestion and then please inform me to see what to do(i don't want to waste time with wiki if it isn't wanted).
Thanks. Have a nice day.

Re: WIKI [message #13305 is a reply to message #13304] Mon, 31 December 2007 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
bytefield wrote on Mon, 31 December 2007 08:29

Also we may consider updating wiki to a new version(i guess there is not latest version installed).

Alas, webhosting used does not allow a more recent wiki... Sad

Quote:

If Mirek don't respond to this message you may send a PM, see what he say about your suggestion and then please inform me to see what to do(i don't want to waste time with wiki if it isn't wanted).
Thanks. Have a nice day.

Wiki is OK. As long as it has some info Smile

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #13306 is a reply to message #13305] Mon, 31 December 2007 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi Mirek,
Wiki is ok but he need a maintainer if we want to improve it an make a it veritable helper for Upp project. phirox offered his help in maintaining wiki, and i believe it is not too hard giving him a try, see what he can do. The decision is your. Or if this project don't really need the wiki you may consider removing the link from first page(however it is still indexed by google-bot, if you not remove it complete).

Re: WIKI [message #13308 is a reply to message #13306] Mon, 31 December 2007 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
bytefield wrote on Mon, 31 December 2007 09:02

Hi Mirek,
Wiki is ok but he need a maintainer if we want to improve it an make a it veritable helper for Upp project. phirox offered his help in maintaining wiki, and i believe it is not too hard giving him a try, see what he can do. The decision is your. Or if this project don't really need the wiki you may consider removing the link from first page(however it is still indexed by google-bot, if you not remove it complete).

OK, what kind of access admin needs?

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #13314 is a reply to message #13308] Tue, 01 January 2008 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Mon, 31 December 2007 19:37

bytefield wrote on Mon, 31 December 2007 09:02

Hi Mirek,

OK, what kind of access admin needs?

Mirek

Add user to "sysop" and "bureaucrat" groups(with phpMyAdmin or directly in mysql console).
INSERT INTO user_groups (ug_user, ug_group) VALUES ('1', 'bureaucrat'); 
INSERT INTO user_groups (ug_user, ug_group) VALUES ('1', 'sysop');

1 is the user_id(field from user table from wikidb)
replace 1 with desired user id
Doing that to an user, he will be able in future to delete and protect pages, block users and managing others users rights.

To stop anonymous user to post or edit, you must add these two lines to "LocalSettings.php"(you may edit this file by yourself [just webmaster have acces to it Smile ]):
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;	#anonymous users cannot edit pages
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createpage'] = false;	#anonymous users cannot create pages

I've just installed wiki on my PC and now I'm learning how to be an MediaWiki Hacker Very Happy . If you need help with wiki, i can help too.

Re: WIKI [message #13315 is a reply to message #12145] Tue, 01 January 2008 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I forgot to say how you change the wiki logo.
Add this line to "LocalSettings.php":
$wgLogo="/path/to/logo.*(png,jpg,etc)";
// $wgLogo="{$wgUploadPath}/logo.jpg";  - image from images folder

The logo is expected to be 135px square.

Seems that wiki isn't so old Very Happy (released on 2007-02-20).
WikiVersion

Result:
Logo and user rights:
index.php?t=getfile&id=910&private=0

[Updated on: Tue, 01 January 2008 19:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WIKI [message #13326 is a reply to message #13315] Tue, 01 January 2008 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First of all; Happy new year everyone! Very Happy

I'm glad to see your giving it a try. Let me know with pm or something else when you've changed the settings.

Also this version is still "current", and we'll aways be able to update the database when a newer one will be installed.
Re: WIKI [message #13327 is a reply to message #13326] Tue, 01 January 2008 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
phirox wrote on Tue, 01 January 2008 20:07

First of all; Happy new year everyone! Very Happy

I'm glad to see your giving it a try. Let me know with pm or something else when you've changed the settings.

Also this version is still "current", and we'll aways be able to update the database when a newer one will be installed.

Happy new Year, too!
Actually I've not changed the settings, i haven't rights to do that(on Ultimate++ Wiki). I've just downloaded the wiki and played with it few moments, I've changed the settings locally(on my PC).
Is Mirek job or fudadmin i guess, to change wiki settings.

Our current wiki version is 1.6.10.
The current wiki version(from mediawiki) is 1.11.0 · released on 2007-09-10

[Updated on: Tue, 01 January 2008 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WIKI [message #13336 is a reply to message #13327] Wed, 02 January 2008 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, done.

Now going to get Wiki button back on all pages Smile

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #13342 is a reply to message #13336] Wed, 02 January 2008 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Will be nice if someone from sysop group will delete unused pages, created by spammers Smile .
Mirek, have you given maintainer rights to phirox or someone else? Or maybe want you to delete these pages.
However you done a nice job Razz . Keep it on. Someday maybe you let C++ for php Laughing .

Re: WIKI [message #13343 is a reply to message #13342] Wed, 02 January 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
bytefield wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 06:28

Will be nice if someone from sysop group will delete unused pages, created by spammers Smile .
Mirek, have you given maintainer rights to phirox or someone else?

How?

Quote:

Or maybe want you to delete these pages.
However you done a nice job Razz . Keep it on. Someday maybe you let C++ for php Laughing .

Hehe, actually, I would rather, some day, recreated wiki in C++ Smile

Mirek
Re: WIKI [message #13344 is a reply to message #13343] Wed, 02 January 2008 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:

OK, done.

Now going to get Wiki button back on all pages

Great! I've started editing pages Smile

But as bytesize said, we really need delete rights. As how to do it, see his previous post. Basically you add the user to a group. In this case 'sysop' and 'bureaucrat'

Quote:

Hehe, actually, I would rather, some day, recreated wiki in C++

By coincidence I was searching for wiki++ when I was updating and found this Wiki++
Previous Topic: Please, could somebody write an introduction to this forum? :)
Next Topic: Typo in 2008.1 beta 2 release date
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:58:04 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01134 seconds