Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ TheIDE and Library: Releases and ChangeLogs » Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz)
Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12268] Mon, 22 October 2007 18:51 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ok, so the problem was in this function:

void EditorBar::InsertLines(int i, int count) {
	li.InsertN(minmax(i, 0, li.GetCount()), max(count, 0));
	if(editor->GetCheckEdited()) {
		if(editor->IsUndoOp() && li_removed.GetCount() >= count) {
			for(int t = 0; t < count; t++) {
				li.At(i + t).firstedited = li_removed[li_removed.GetCount() - count + t].firstedited;
				li[i + t].edited = li_removed[li_removed.GetCount() - count + t].edited;
			}
			li_removed.Drop(count);
			SetEdited(i + count, 1);
			ignored_next_edit = true;
		}
		else {
			if (li[i].firstedited == 0)
				li[i].firstedited = li.At(i + count).firstedited;
			SetEdited(i + 1, count);
		}
	}
	Refresh();
}

Quiz: Where is the bug?

Just to make it easier: It is a very ugly catch that Upp::Vector shares with std::vector .... and with MSC it works...

Mirek
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12282 is a reply to message #12268] Tue, 23 October 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Very VERY happy about that... It works !

But.... where was the bug ? Very Happy

Ciao

Max
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12283 is a reply to message #12282] Tue, 23 October 2007 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 09:11

Very VERY happy about that... It works !

But.... where was the bug ? Very Happy

Ciao

Max

On this line:

Mirek
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12284 is a reply to message #12283] Tue, 23 October 2007 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 16:52

On this line:

I suppose the operator [] uses a static temporary or something like that ?
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12285 is a reply to message #12284] Tue, 23 October 2007 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 11:31

luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 16:52

On this line:

I suppose the operator [] uses a static temporary or something like that ?

Nope. But it returns a reference. However, .At invalidates references to Vector.... So if the left side of statement is evaluated before the right side, you have "free block overwrite"...

Mirek
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12286 is a reply to message #12285] Tue, 23 October 2007 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 17:41

Nope. But it returns a reference. However, .At invalidates references to Vector.... So if the left side of statement is evaluated before the right side, you have "free block overwrite"...

Mirek

Uhmmm... what is the reason of invalidating the ref ? At() isn't the same as operator [], for array ? The only reason to invalidate the ref I could imagine is that At() (can) make a deep copy of array...

BTW, I was thinkin' about it yesterday.... why did you use the pick_ stuff instead of something like a pimpl object with copy-on-write ? It's not feasible ?

Ciao

Max

Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12287 is a reply to message #12286] Tue, 23 October 2007 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 11:50

luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 17:41

Mirek

Uhmmm... what is the reason of invalidating the ref ? At() isn't the same as operator [], for array ?

No, it can resize the array if you use i >= GetCount.

Quote:

BTW, I was thinkin' about it yesterday.... why did you use the pick_ stuff instead of something like a pimpl object with copy-on-write ? It's not feasible ?

IMO/IME, shared ownership is the root of evil Smile At least in C++.

Mirek

[Updated on: Tue, 23 October 2007 18:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12290 is a reply to message #12287] Tue, 23 October 2007 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 18:08

Ah, ok... I wouldn't ever use it like that, it's the easy way of producing bugs.... Much better an explicit Realloc() or something like that. BTW resizing the array makes the assumption that elements have a default constructor, too.

Quote:

IMO/IME, shared ownership is the root of evil Smile At least in C++.

well, if you share ownership (like I've suggested) you MUST avoid any kind of pointers, but if it's well done can be rock solid.
Of course, if you use reference counted stuffs and than you take address of if, you can be sure about having bugs Smile

I must say that reference counted stuffs are usually small in size, so you can pass them by value with few overhead.
I did something like that some time ago and it was nice to use.

Ciao

Max
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12293 is a reply to message #12290] Tue, 23 October 2007 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 12:20

luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 18:08

Ah, ok... I wouldn't ever use it like that, it's the easy way of producing bugs....

Well, I think At is extremely effective way how to solve many problems. And similar issue existis even in the plain C

a[i++] = a[i];

it is simply something you have to care about...

Quote:

I must say that reference counted stuffs are usually small in size, so you can pass them by value with few overhead.
I did something like that some time ago and it was nice to use.

Well, yes, I think that is the "official" C++/boost path... If you like that, U++ pick_ must sound alien to you Wink

Mirek
Re: Hopefully fixed "Writes to freed blocks" bug in ide - and warning (quiz) [message #12297 is a reply to message #12293] Tue, 23 October 2007 21:47 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 23 October 2007 19:45

Well, I think At is extremely effective way how to solve many problems. And similar issue existis even in the plain C

a[i++] = a[i];

it is simply something you have to care about...

Well, in your example, you can see that you're doing it wrong.
In theide bug, you can't.... or, at least, you can't if you don't know upp vector internals, what's normally the matter.
Usually people see Vector<> as a blackbox, they don't know (at least, I didn't know) about invalid references caused by At().
OTOH, people that program in C++ usually know that A[i++]=A[i] is a nonsense.

Quote:

Well, yes, I think that is the "official" C++/boost path... If you like that, U++ pick_ must sound alien to you Wink

Uhm... I don't know Boost++ in depth, but I don't think PIMPL+reference counting is their base path.
I know that reference counting + pointers is an hassle, but together with PIMPL and WITHOUT use of pointers can be quite good. That said, I don't like too much Boost++, I find it well written but old style coding. I did write my own Array class in past because of that.
BTW, I still think that c++ standard is missing many useful constructs, one of the most useful ot them is the 'property' one, which borland introduced as a language extension in their compilers.
An object-oriented language without properties is an empty wine glass, I think Smile

Just an example of it :
class C
{
  private:

int iVal;

void set_iVal(int _i) { i = _iVal; }
  int get_iVal(void) { return iVal; }

public:

__property i = { read = getIval, write = setIval };

};

C c ;

c.i = 5;  // calls set_Ival(5)
int a = c.i; // calls a = get_Ival()

That's what I call 'clean object-oriented language'.

Ciao

Max
Previous Topic: "init" files in packages...
Next Topic: ProgessIndicator::SetColor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:14:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00972 seconds