Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE?
icon5.gif  [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE? [message #12670] Mon, 12 November 2007 21:21 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
On Windows TheIDE picks up *.var files in the TheIDE's directory. That is simple.

On Linux I've installed a Debian package with 2007.1, after that I've built an SVN version of TheIDE using 2007.1 one. 2007.1 picks up configuration files in ~/.theide/, the SVN-version doesn't. It also doesn't look into directory, where it is located.

I couldn't understand that behavior from the source code. Is there a logical explanation?

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE? [message #12681 is a reply to message #12670] Tue, 13 November 2007 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I think, your SVN version has a different name: "ide".
So it's configurations can be in ~/.ide
Re: [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE? [message #12687 is a reply to message #12681] Tue, 13 November 2007 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
zsolt wrote on Mon, 12 November 2007 18:03

I think, your SVN version has a different name: "ide".
So it's configurations can be in ~/.ide

Thanks! That is it.

Do you by any chance know how to make TheIDE behave like the rest of *.nix applications do? I mean to look for a configuration in a current working/build directory, if it is not found there, look in a home directory, if it is still not there, look in /usr/local/share/upp, /usr/share/upp, or use defaults?

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE? [message #12704 is a reply to message #12670] Tue, 13 November 2007 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Mon, 12 November 2007 21:21

On Windows TheIDE picks up *.var files in the TheIDE's directory. That is simple.

On Linux I've installed a Debian package with 2007.1, after that I've built an SVN version of TheIDE using 2007.1 one. 2007.1 picks up configuration files in ~/.theide/, the SVN-version doesn't. It also doesn't look into directory, where it is located.

I couldn't understand that behavior from the source code. Is there a logical explanation?

Ok, I'll make a little explanation of I did... It works for me, so it should for you too !

1- Install Theide, release version, as you like, with debian package or what you like. I usually prefere sources, but with no makefile there is little choice.

2- OPTIONAL STEP : the files are usually in ~/upp; as I didn't like this location, I moved them to ~/sources/upp. Beware that doung that you loose the configuration vars; so, IMHO, the best is to move the source tree, delete the configuration dir '.theide' in home dir and run theide again. Say "NO" when it asks on file setup per user, and then recreate manually from inside theide the assemblies. (quite boring stuff, it would be better an option to recreate them automatically...)
Better hand way : before wiping .theide configuration dir, grab .var files inside, and edit them to reflect new sources locations.

3)- Get development sources tree; I did put it in ~/sources/uppdev

4) Use stable version to compile devel one. To to this, you must create a new assembly inside Theide, pointing to upp development tree; in my case it's ~/sources/uppdev
The binary file name is 'ide', not 'theide', but can be changed from theide. I suggest to leave it as 'ide'.
I suggest also to change options to enable full debug... It will be slower, but you'll get useful hints if things go bad.

5) Quit theide stable, make a symbolic link from ide binary (found in ~/sources/uppdev/out/<something>, where <something> depends on build options...> in /usr/bin and, if you like (Smile) add it to applications menu.

6) Launch ide (devel version), as in point 2 you'll be asked if you want to configure for local user, say "NO".

7) From inside ide, you must recreate the assembly path, or, as explained in point 2, grab .var files from ~/.theide directory, copy them inside ~/,ide (the configuration path for devel version, depends on executable name) and edit them to reflect new sources locations.

That's all. Seems difficult, but it can be done in 5 minutes, besides compilation.

From now, to keep devel updated, just do 'svn up' in source tree (or, if you're lucky, an uvs2 update...), and use theide STABLE to recompile it. DON'T use devel to compile itself !!!

Ciao

Max
Re: [Linux] How to create a separate configuration for a locally built TheIDE? [message #12748 is a reply to message #12704] Wed, 14 November 2007 18:34 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Thank you very much !!! That is life-saving info.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Uvs build - Undefined symbol error
Next Topic: Installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1'...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:13:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02130 seconds