Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG
New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1087] Mon, 20 February 2006 06:41 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
if you haven't seen that you don't know how the nearest future GUI will look like...
if you want to see what other people have achieved with AGG, have a look :http://www.creativedocs.net/devs/gui
and you can try how it works in a real app:
http://www.creativedocs.net/downloads/files/
and if you download, you will see that their resizing of semi-transparent shapes works faster than Ultimate's form designer...
Skin changing is F5 and Global.
Super tool!
Conclusion: The future of GUI's is only AGG and the future is bright... Others can forget their popularity and swim down the river of their ambitions or enjoy the sunshine of stone age...
Something to think about.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2006 07:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1088 is a reply to message #1087] Mon, 20 February 2006 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Conclusion: The future of GUI's is only AGG and the future is bright... Others can forget their popularity and swim down the river of their ambitions or enjoy the sunshine of stone age...
Something to think about.

You can like it or not, but the future of GUI is, in this regard, Xgl/Cairo and Vista-Aero/GDI+.

Mirek
Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1091 is a reply to message #1087] Mon, 20 February 2006 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

>And if you download, you will see that their resizing of semi->transparent shapes works faster than Ultimate's form designer...

I downloaded it and yes it looks really good, theming engine is good too. But resizeing speed of ui is very very slow... opposite to resizeing shapes you mentioned - it's quite responisve.

This gui is one more proof that native widget era is gone..
Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1092 is a reply to message #1091] Mon, 20 February 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Good for us Smile

Mirek
Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1093 is a reply to message #1087] Mon, 20 February 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

and if you download, you will see that their resizing of semi-transparent shapes works faster than Ultimate's form designer...

BTW, do not be fooled there. Layout designer graphics is quite complex to render (a lot of graphics elements), alpha-blending simpler shapes can be pretty fast compared to it.

Mirek
Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1096 is a reply to message #1091] Mon, 20 February 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadeite is currently offline  jadeite
unodgs wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 03:51

I don't think that is really the case. Many people prefer the "normal" native appearance, and not only prefer, but expect/demand it. The ultimate UI framework will be one that allows use of a complete native widget, custom drawing of a native widget, and complete non-native widgets, all in the same app. The critical part is making the 3 varieties seamlessly integrate, switching from 1 variety to the other with a single line of code, wrapped in platform-independent code, and last but not least, high performance redraw. In this regard, I don't think that CreativeDocs has the correct approach, in that it forces use of AGG for everything. Don't get me wrong, you want AGG support, but not for everything. Modular AGG.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2006 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1098 is a reply to message #1091] Mon, 20 February 2006 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadeite is currently offline  jadeite

I downloaded it and yes it looks really good, theming engine is good too. But resizeing speed of ui is very very slow...

I notice this too. I wonder why? It could be the underlying messaging system, layout architecture of framework, use of AGG (I'm guessing not), or could it even be .NET?
Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1112 is a reply to message #1096] Mon, 20 February 2006 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
jadeite wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 07:46

I don't think that is really the case. Many people prefer the "normal" native appearance, and not only prefer, but expect/demand it. The ultimate UI framework will be one that allows use of a complete native widget, custom drawing of a native widget, and complete non-native widgets, all in the same app. The critical part is making the 3 varieties seamlessly integrate, switching from 1 variety to the other with a single line of code, wrapped in platform-independent code, and last but not least, high performance redraw. In this regard, I don't think that CreativeDocs has the correct approach, in that it forces use of AGG for everything. Don't get me wrong, you want AGG support, but not for everything. Modular AGG.

I believe (hope?) that there is difference between "native widget" and "native look&feel". Look&feel can be implemented using non-native widgets (and in fact, this seems to be the only way how to allow all 3 varietes to seamlessly integrate).

In fact, I understand that not using native widgets is clear disadvantage of U++. However, this design decision solves too many issues... and we can do quite well in "native look&feel" arena...

Mirek

Re: New GUI (toolkit?) with skinning - based on AGG [message #1135 is a reply to message #1112] Tue, 21 February 2006 09:06 Go to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 15:23

I believe (hope?) that there is difference between "native widget" and "native look&feel".

I think that feel is much more imoportant than look. Of course if look is a way different to what people are used to it's not too good, but upp look is almost like xp (even better to me) so we don't have to worry Wink

Quote:

In fact, I understand that not using native widgets is clear disadvantage of U++. However, this design decision solves too many issues... and we can do quite well in "native look&feel" arena...

I don't think this is disadvantage. Look at the Linux. How many different gui libs are used there. All them provide different look and feel and noone is complaning about that.. Besides if gui lib is themable there always will be someone who provides a proper skin to have a look not to distinguish from its defualut DE apps.

PS: On windows there are many apps that use native widgets but they are far from 'being native' (big buttons, strange toolbars and control placement).
PS2: Even MS Office use some not-native widgets...
Previous Topic: opinions about FOX-TOOLKIT
Next Topic: On popular theme
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:01:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01494 seconds