Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Stuck with icq
Stuck with icq [message #15476] Fri, 25 April 2008 19:04 Go to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Hi,
i don't want to offend anyone but icq site is a mess. After few minutes that i spent with icq, I've decided to remove my account and guess what, you cannot remove your account directly from the site (I don't know if that's possible from their programs, because i haven't installed Windows OS on my box).
So, you others programmers, how do you communicate each others, especially u++ core programmers (icq, mail, chat, YM, forum, etc.)?

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Fri, 25 April 2008 21:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stuck with icq [message #15477 is a reply to message #15476] Fri, 25 April 2008 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ICQ Smile

Mirek
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15478 is a reply to message #15477] Fri, 25 April 2008 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Isn't YM a better solution for communications, or maybe a chat room? Should we develop a build-in-house software for communication Rolling Eyes ? It will unify developers, using all the same software they can communicate better.

I'm thinking at something with file transfer support, announcement when svn, uvs, cvs, git (or others cvs's) repository have changed, creating discussions (public and private)rooms with active users, guest and spectators.
A software which announce you when a message is posted on forum, etc.

Re: Stuck with icq [message #15480 is a reply to message #15478] Fri, 25 April 2008 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
bytefield wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 15:00

Isn't YM a better solution for communications, or maybe a chat room? Should we develop a build-in-house software for communication Rolling Eyes ? It will unify developers, using all the same software they can communicate better.

I'm thinking at something with file transfer support, announcement when svn, uvs, cvs, git (or others cvs's) repository have changed, creating discussions (public and private)rooms with active users, guest and spectators.
A software which announce you when a message is posted on forum, etc.

Could be interesting. Anyway, for now, ICQ Smile

Mirek
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15484 is a reply to message #15476] Sat, 26 April 2008 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I use ICQ, Skype and registered on jabber recently. And I have grown up at IRC Smile (back in 1993 when there was nothing else anyway, and still after 15 years I find IRC superior to anything, if chat in group is involved)
I always did hate ICQ since it's very first days, the recent versions forced me to run away from official clients, and the recent reliability problems make me hate it even more than ever.
But there's so many people using it here around. Sad Very difficult to move on anything else, at least skype is used quite a lot too.
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15487 is a reply to message #15484] Sat, 26 April 2008 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 21:18

I always did hate ICQ since it's very first days, the recent versions forced me to run away from official clients, and the recent reliability problems make me hate it even more than ever.

Just for record, I am not using official ICQ client either.

Mirek
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15495 is a reply to message #15487] Sat, 26 April 2008 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I made a "compromise" until we have something better and still have an icq account. I use it from Pidgin, but it's not specialized on icq communications, so if someone could suggest a better client for icq, available on Linux(Ubuntu).

Re: Stuck with icq [message #15517 is a reply to message #15495] Sun, 27 April 2008 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I'm using ICQ since it's first days (It was from Mirabilis, since...) and I like it. BTW, I don't like either recent official clients... so I use Pidgim. It doesn't offer all search stuffs, but it works.

Max
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15553 is a reply to message #15476] Tue, 29 April 2008 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
Honestly, I can't stand IM systems, in general.

When I have to communicate with someone, I either use e-mail, or forums.

Unless, of course, I can walk down the hall and talk to the person.

I find IMs terribly disruptive. They demand attention immediately, when perhaps I might need to focus on a problem. I may as well pick up a ringing phone.

But, I seem to be the minority in this opinion... a lot of my friends love to IM each other... so I'm perhaps old-fashioned or something.
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15558 is a reply to message #15553] Tue, 29 April 2008 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
tvanriper wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 03:30

Honestly, I can't stand IM systems, in general.

When I have to communicate with someone, I either use e-mail, or forums.

Unless, of course, I can walk down the hall and talk to the person.

I find IMs terribly disruptive. They demand attention immediately, when perhaps I might need to focus on a problem. I may as well pick up a ringing phone.

But, I seem to be the minority in this opinion... a lot of my friends love to IM each other... so I'm perhaps old-fashioned or something.

IMHO im are very good to solve quickly a problem, when it's there.
Just think you've an app opened, it doesn't behave as expected, with im you can follow step-by-step instructions and show/solve the problem. With forums/mails it would take forever....
Of course a phone call is even better, but it's usually not cheap, and sometimes the language barriers are strong Smile
OTOH, for long-term problems, forums are much better.

Max
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15559 is a reply to message #15558] Tue, 29 April 2008 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Are phone calls expensive in your countries ?
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15562 is a reply to message #15476] Tue, 29 April 2008 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Quote:

2min call can cost me as much as my breakfast.
(than again I try to not call at all, so I didn't optimize it with some hefty month plan, which would lead to considerably lower minute prices and some free minutes, but the month expenses would be set up ahead)

tvanriper: I'm on with you, the IM often annoys me a lot.
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15566 is a reply to message #15559] Tue, 29 April 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
cocob wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 10:49

Local calls aren't expensive, they are free on weekend and after 17:00 I guess, but international call cost a lot and like Massimo was saying "sometimes the language barriers are strong". I don't even write English very well, but what if I talk, maybe you will understand me or I will understand you but not as well as I want.

Quote:

the IM often annoys me a lot.

Be invisible, ignore annoying messages(switch sounds off, etc.), clean-up your list, remove unwanted "friends", request your friends to not send to you unwanted mass messages (they should put you in a separate group, or something Razz ).

Quote:

Well, don't eat your breakfast for a month and talk on phone for one hour. Laughing Or use my "advices" and use IM, YM, ICQ, etc. Don't let your friends to annoy you, if they are good friends and want you to be their friend they will make that move for you or if you are kind(understanding) you will ignore all mass message and live with mess unless you get something better ore you switch off the IM forever.

P.S.: I like using forum too because here you have nothing to hide and sharing your knowledge will help sometimes other people (if they know using search button Smile )

Re: Stuck with icq [message #15568 is a reply to message #15562] Tue, 29 April 2008 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 04:13

Quote:

Hm, makes me wonder what kind of breakfast that may be Smile (Depends on where you call too, right?).

Mirek
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15570 is a reply to message #15476] Tue, 29 April 2008 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
2min call to XX from X-XX.. (you know who, but I don't want to make advertisement to either of the two) costs me around 13CZK.
Sometimes I buy for my breakfast small bun with vegetables & stuff = 12CZK. Smile Or I eat half of my musli box, that's ~15CZK + milk ~5CZK...

Oh well, maybe I spend too much on breakfast.. Very Happy Didn't even realize how much it can be if I sum together everything.

Quote:

don't eat your breakfast

Are you crazy? Changing food for some chat? Shocked Very Happy A high quality meal always make me smile.
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15574 is a reply to message #15568] Tue, 29 April 2008 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 12:36

mr_ped wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 04:13

Quote:

Hm, makes me wonder what kind of breakfast that may be Smile (Depends on where you call too, right?).

Mirek

Well, well... a nice caviar-champagne breakfast could do the job Smile

Max
Re: Stuck with icq [message #15576 is a reply to message #15574] Tue, 29 April 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Very Happy Back to topic, people! Laughing
I don't take my breakfast eating caviar in front of my computer ( I wish too Razz , having another desktop in kitchen, or perhaps a laptop, wireless network, etc. Rolling Eyes )
So, we declare icq subject closed and share some coffee since we are in Coffee corner. Smile

Re: Stuck with icq [message #17611 is a reply to message #15484] Fri, 22 August 2008 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 21:18

I use ICQ, Skype and registered on jabber recently. And I have grown up at IRC Smile (back in 1993 when there was nothing else anyway, and still after 15 years I find IRC superior to anything, if chat in group is involved)

Me too... I'm on IRC all the time. I think we should have a U++ room on Freenode. The C++ channel always has around 450 people in it. Maybe a bot could run on the U++ server to hold the room and provide some information. It could be a place for U++ users to "hang out". Anyone else IRC fans?

Re: Stuck with icq [message #17615 is a reply to message #17611] Fri, 22 August 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I'm not an IRC fan, but i believe it is a good idea if we have a Upp IRC room and a bot which record conversations(from room not from user to user) for further usage and a way to access that history, in that way no important information get lost. But i don't know if it is the priority right now Smile (documentation, upp "infrastructure server", a new site design, maybe a new forum [after someone parse it and pick all useful infos])...

Re: Stuck with icq [message #20232 is a reply to message #15476] Mon, 02 March 2009 14:58 Go to previous message
phirox is currently offline  phirox
I am an IRC fan, and hang out alot on freenode. This IRC server is used mostly by open source users & developers, and many projects have their own channel.

I made a channel #ultimate++, so hope to see some other users there soon. I also made an IRC bot in ultimate++, which hangs out there to show off the power Smile
Previous Topic: Abbreviations
Next Topic: Crazy(?) idea about debugging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:40:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01509 seconds