FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » BAZAAR folders restructuration
BAZAAR folders restructuration [message #15867] Tue, 13 May 2008 18:08 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Since the inclusion of BAZAAR files in latest svn builds, I'm thinking about a restructuration of bazaar folder tree.

IMHO it would be better to separate samples from code, so bazaar samples could be put in EXAMPLES assembly upon UPP installation.

That would avoid to have too many assemblies in upp, while allowing to test bazaar features.

My idea is to use :

BAZAAR for added packages.
BAZAAR_SAMPLES for examples of use.

I'd suggest also to have bazaar's package description files in the format :

BAZAAR : package <name>, purpose <purpose>, author <author>, email <email>

So upp users will know easily that those are experimental packages not yet included in stable releases.

Last but not least... if you can, comment contributed code and provide the documenting .tpp file. That will encourage users to test it!

I'll wite for contributor's comments before restructuring the SVN BAZAAR folders.

Ciao

Max
Re: BAZAAR folders restructuration [message #15870 is a reply to message #15867] Tue, 13 May 2008 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Well, personaly I like baazar as it is - full freedom Wink Rahter dividing it into two parts I would suggest naming examples apps with ExampleN postfix like DockingExample1,2,3 etc. Comments you proposed are ok.
Re: BAZAAR folders restructuration [message #15872 is a reply to message #15870] Tue, 13 May 2008 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 20:51

Well, personaly I like baazar as it is - full freedom Wink Rahter dividing it into two parts I would suggest naming examples apps with ExampleN postfix like DockingExample1,2,3 etc. Comments you proposed are ok.

Me too I like, but the problem is that just adding Bazaar nest to MyApps, for example, would not allow to select Bazaar example files, as only main packages in first assembly's nest are shown.... at least, if you don't enable "all packages" checkbox.
The "separation" of example stuffs it would allow to copy them on example folder upon installation and the selection of them like other examples.

Otherwise, we should add an BazaarExamples nest...

Max
Re: BAZAAR folders restructuration [message #15882 is a reply to message #15872] Wed, 14 May 2008 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 14:58

Me too I like, but the problem is that just adding Bazaar nest to MyApps, for example, would not allow to select Bazaar example files, as only main packages in first assembly's nest are shown.... at least, if you don't enable "all packages" checkbox.
The "separation" of example stuffs it would allow to copy them on example folder upon installation and the selection of them like other examples.

Max

Well, we have discussed all this in depth, so I am posting my position for others:

I think that we should simply add Bazaar and Bazaar examples on per-package basis to regular uppsrc and examples (and perhapas reference), only marking then by "BAZAAR: package xyz by zyx, email: " in the description.

Alternatively, we can add bazaar and bazaar examples nests, but maybe just put them into all relevant assemblies.

Mirek
Re: BAZAAR folders restructuration [message #15888 is a reply to message #15882] Wed, 14 May 2008 10:34 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 14 May 2008 08:29

mdelfede wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 14:58

Max

Well, we have discussed all this in depth, so I am posting my position for others:

I think that we should simply add Bazaar and Bazaar examples on per-package basis to regular uppsrc and examples (and perhapas reference), only marking then by "BAZAAR: package xyz by zyx, email: " in the description.

Alternatively, we can add bazaar and bazaar examples nests, but maybe just put them into all relevant assemblies.

Mirek

Ok, so we have to choose between one of 2 solutions Smile
IMHO, in either cases, I think that a small change in package manager/selector would be helpful.
This change would consist in separate in a by-nest basis the packages, instead of having all of them listed alphabetically, with a "title" line in top of them, or as a tree-like presentation.
For example :
Upp core :
  package 1
  package 2
Bazaar contibutions :
  package 1
  package 2

There would be a "small" additional problem on how to deal with contributions/update of bazaar packages : if you want to put directly in uppsrc nest, you have to open uvs repo to contributors... or switch to svn. Alternatively, we can leave Bazaar as separated package (mantained on svn as it is now) and just copy it during setup in uppsrc nest and in reference/example nests. But, to automate this process, a restructuration of bazaar is needed.
The second option would be simpler, but again, we should separate bazaar code core from samples/reference.

Max
Previous Topic: Service/daemon for Ultimate++
Next Topic: Modified SliderCtrl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:46:29 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01465 seconds