Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16184 is a reply to message #16162] Sat, 31 May 2008 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Excellent.
Could you please set output mode = Use shared libs, by default? So one shouldn`t change settings each time after "fresh" install.
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16189 is a reply to message #16184] Sat, 31 May 2008 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 18:24

Excellent.
Could you please set output mode = Use shared libs, by default? So one shouldn`t change settings each time after "fresh" install.

Default value was always set to "Shared libs", and I'm not doing intall, just running "ide" from an appropriate "out" subdirectory.

The problem seems to happen because very first time I ran TheIDE link_mode was serialized as static in ide.cfg, and I was trying to fix GCC.bm ...

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16201 is a reply to message #16189] Mon, 02 June 2008 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

For not to spam with a new topic, I`ll post next Linux problem here. Due to the Ubuntu requirements I switched to ALT Linux Lite distribution which uses Xfce window manager. It uses RPM packages type.

With next step I installed U++7007.1 RPM. Then installed all the dependencies manually (as no program suggested installing dependencies itself). TheIDE ran smoothly with no errors.

By default output mode in release build was once again switched to Static, and I switched it to Shared libs. After that I had no errors with compiling and linking. But pressing Ctrl-F5 does nothing. Newly linked application simply does nothing (cannot start?). The same is with attempt to run application from file manager - it doesn`t start without any error messages.
The same was with non-GUI application which I also tried to compile and run.

The question to Linux developers: what could it be? How may I solve this problem or at least how can I find where problem is?
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16202 is a reply to message #16201] Mon, 02 June 2008 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Try to run from console "$strace <your application>". You will see kernel calls (you won't see libc calls like dlopen).
If that doesn't clarify the problem try to run "$LD_DEBUG=libs <your application>" (in case of bash ...). This command traces run-time linker.

If the problem still remains unresolved, post output of those commands here.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16203 is a reply to message #16201] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
The window manager overrides Ctrl-F5 shortcut (it is used for workspace switching). You can try to disable tis shortcut in window manager settings.

Matthias
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 linking problem [message #16204 is a reply to message #16203] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:48 Go to previous message
Experienced Contributor

Logs are OK. The strangest thing is that it started smoothly after reboot. What a strange thing this Linux...
Let`s consider this problem solved. Thank you everyone.
Previous Topic: cross compile from win32 to Linux
Next Topic: Is there a working U++ [Free]BSD port?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:03:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04150 seconds