Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » bug tracker
bug tracker [message #16116] Wed, 28 May 2008 17:35 Go to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
Hi,

I just wanted to ask why there is no bug tracker? I think that would make it simpler to report and handle the bugs, if we would have a simple possibility to search for open bugs, mark bugs as fixed and so on.

I just want to start a discussion with this thread to see if the developers are actually interested in this idea.
Re: bug tracker [message #16118 is a reply to message #16116] Wed, 28 May 2008 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well for one thing, the current system works pretty well, bugs are rare get fixed and the forum allows a nice discussion when necessary. But sometimes some bugs or more often wishes of different users do not generate any change in U++, and can get forgotten. For such cases it would be nice to have a common interface. And it would also be useful as a change log. But even right now, there are some txt files which are used to keep track of issues, but I believe only Mirek and maybe another 1-2 people edit them.
Re: bug tracker [message #16120 is a reply to message #16118] Wed, 28 May 2008 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I was thinking that maybe we should have "Bugs" forum for bugs that are not fixed immediately (which is often the case), with limited write access.

And perhaps similar "ToDo" forum.

Of course, "real" bugtracking is possible too, but I think it is overkill at the moment. And usual scenario is more like "question in the forum" -> "testcase requested" (Smile and then either bug found in testcase or bug found in U++. If we are unable to fix the bug immediately, then it would go to Bugs.

Mirek
Re: bug tracker [message #16152 is a reply to message #16116] Thu, 29 May 2008 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I don't think that a forum is the ideal solution for bug tracking because IMHO you don't have a clear view of everything what is going on.

luzr

... And usual scenario is more like "question in the forum" -> "testcase requested" ( Smile and then either bug found in testcase or bug found in U++ ...

I think the forum is still a very good place to ask questions about how to use U++. The bug tracker would be there to report bugs and request features and not to ask questions.

I took a look trough a few bug tracking apps that I found that a are PHP based, and I think http://flyspray.org/ really looks great.
Re: bug tracker [message #16157 is a reply to message #16152] Thu, 29 May 2008 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well if we are having some more advanced method than forums for bugtracking, it should really have a TheIDE interface. That would also boost the value of TheIDE, not that it needs that much boosting.
Re: bug tracker [message #16166 is a reply to message #16116] Fri, 30 May 2008 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Mind you, there's already one bug tracker directly at sourceforge.net ...
At least it does look dead at first sight now, so probably nobody new will use it, but I still think it's a bit confusing to have a way to enter a bug, which will very likely get unnoticed.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: bug tracker [message #16167 is a reply to message #16152] Fri, 30 May 2008 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kodos wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 11:13

I don't think that a forum is the ideal solution for bug tracking because IMHO you don't have a clear view of everything what is going on.

I think the forum is still a very good place to ask questions about how to use U++. The bug tracker would be there to report bugs and request features and not to ask questions.

Well, IME, quite often it is not clear whether something is bug or feature.

Meanwhile, many people are using "Search" in the forum as sort of "U++ knowledge base". Therefore I think it has benefits if all potential U++ bugs start as forum posts.

Mirek
Re: bug tracker [message #16193 is a reply to message #16116] Sun, 01 June 2008 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
OK, if the developers think the current situation is good like it is, I don't have a problem with that.
I simply wondered why there was no bug tracker like in all other opensource projects. Smile
Re: bug tracker [message #16248 is a reply to message #16193] Tue, 03 June 2008 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Right now I was trying to look over one of my own bug reports, and I couldn't remember where I posted it. It seems that the idea of having a section in the forum specially for bugs is a good one. When somebody finds a bug, it will still be posted in the right forums. When a the bug is confirmed, there should be a thread created in this new forum section with a link to the topic describing it. When the bug is closed, the topic created in the bugs section should be moved to a closed bugs section and a reply address with the version number where it was fixed and any other useful info. This takes up only two sections and I think it would be quite useful with little extra work. Items from the closed bugs list can even be purged if some arbitrary times elapses (i.e. 3 months).
Re: bug tracker [message #16250 is a reply to message #16248] Tue, 03 June 2008 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I agree Smile The only addition to this schema I would consider is restricted access to this forum - only approved users should be able to start a topic there.

Mirek
Re: bug tracker [message #16254 is a reply to message #16250] Wed, 04 June 2008 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Perfect! And maybe another addition would be a forum for bugs or similar which will not be fixed until next official release because difficult/low priority/would break stuff/no time, etc. For example, no need to report Assist++ peculiarities before the next C++ parser is created, because such bugs would have no easy fix.
Re: bug tracker [message #16255 is a reply to message #16254] Wed, 04 June 2008 09:40 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Well, "ToDo" forum...

Mirek
Previous Topic: Typo in 2008.1 beta 2 release date
Next Topic: Typos on U++ web pages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:47:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03261 seconds