FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Upp's Support and Project Leadership
Upp's Support and Project Leadership [message #16399] Thu, 12 June 2008 17:59 Go to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
This is more of a curious question rather than anything else. Mirek, you seem like you work on Upp almost full-time, always responding to questions and constantly making improvements and patching quickly. I think it is awesome and it is what keeps the project going. Having a project leader that is very accessible and communicating with the community is one of my reasons for sticking around and using Upp in my work instead of something else like QT (that is besides the technical reasons b/c I think Upp is much better). My question is, how is the project funded? Does it have some sort of corporate sponsor who you work for? What is your background?

Sorry if it seems personal, but like I said, just appreciative and curious. Very Happy

-Chris
Re: Upp's Support and Project Leadership [message #16409 is a reply to message #16399] Fri, 13 June 2008 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Thu, 12 June 2008 11:59

This is more of a curious question rather than anything else. Mirek, you seem like you work on Upp almost full-time, always responding to questions and constantly making improvements and patching quickly.

Uh, thanks, I was in fact rather afraid that recently my involvement was not up to usual standard Smile (Too much other things happen.)

Quote:

My question is, how is the project funded? Does it have some sort of corporate sponsor who you work for? What is your background?

Well, since the first minute spent with U++ (back in 1998, when it started as MFC extension for Oracle programming Smile, it was developed for use in commercial software. So for the first couple of years, the money were from this software (and in fact, we were sort of silent about the technology we use Smile

Let us say that improved productivity realized by using U++ paid for U++ development. I guess I would make a little bit more money using something else, but it would be much less fun too.

(BTW, when I say "we", I mean in these initial phases me and Tom Rylek - he is much smarter than me, but unfortunately finds this forum a little bit too much time consuming. I guess it is partly because when he does reply, he does so in very detailed way Smile

After a couple of years I realized I am already too much used to U++ that the only possible step in my personal carrier is to make it open-source - that is the only way I can possibly use it in my next job Smile

And guess what, it worked...

Starting this year, we have got a sponsor, and he also gave me a job - I am now writing backend servers for internet services and having a LOT of fun (that is BTW why you are more likely to see improvements in Core now from me Wink

In near future, it seems like we are going involved in consulting business too - it seems like making U++ free for commercial development was really a good idea:)

Mirek
Re: Upp's Support and Project Leadership [message #16420 is a reply to message #16409] Fri, 13 June 2008 18:14 Go to previous message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Quote:

Tom Rylek - he is much smarter than me
Umm, he must be damn smart!
Quote:

the only possible step in my personal carrier is to make it open-source - that is the only way I can possibly use it in my next job
Nice!
Quote:

Starting this year, we have got a sponsor, and he also gave me a job
That's certainly great news; Congratulations.
Quote:

it seems like making U++ free for commercial development was really a good idea
Absolutely, and you've helped build a good community of developers who see the benefit of U++ and want to help too. I certainly will continue to use U++ in my work environment.

Thanks for the reply.
Previous Topic: What do you use for ToDo/ defect tracking/ change logs?
Next Topic: Last day in office for Bill Gates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:47:19 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01945 seconds