Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17075 is a reply to message #17073] Sun, 27 July 2008 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Sun, 27 July 2008 08:56

you have OR a kilometric path OR your OS must search recursively through the full Apps folder.

Yep.

Quote:

Both of them are slow.

IMO it can be optimized quite well....

Quote:

I must admit that I didn't look at it Smile I'll do sometimes.
But believe me, that's a known problem with no 100% reliable solution.

I would rather say with no POSIX *portable* solution. Other than that, you can easily read them from 'proc'.

Quote:

Anyways, I don't like the windows way of putting config files (sometimes) on app executable folder. That one should be write protected and not accessible by normal app usage. Like it is now it's an opened door for malware and/or coding mistakes.
In app folder should go only fixed config files, I mean files with data not modifiable by program itself. The rest should go on registry or, as in linux, on user owned folders.

It all depends. For me, putting it to .exe, makes maintainance of my software deployments much much simpler. I can even use tricks like two modes of single application, only adjusted by different config.

OTOH, with multiple users, there is a problem Smile 'home' has its merits.

In any case, we have Win32 to support and *xes to support. We have to play by rules here...

Mirek
Re: Final release [message #17076 is a reply to message #17073] Sun, 27 July 2008 17:50 Go to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well the GoboLinux experiment was a failure Smile.

I absolutely love the way they set up the filesystem! It is a great idea! Maybe some day a distro with money will pick it up, kick in the ass the unnecessarily complicated out of historic reasons filesystem layout and do something like this. And also they didn't seem to have any problems with finding executables and launching them from command line thanks to their clever links system.

But on the other hand, the package manager is an absolute disaster. The GUI has a very unintuitive interface and completely unstable. I had to drop to the command line, which doesn't seem to have any stability problem, but faces the rest of the problems of the GUI. I tried for 3 hours to install a couple of simple packages. Gobo was even nice enough to show me the new versions available online. But all I could get was conflicts, circular dependencies and consoles full of cryptic messages which on on line say successes, or done, and on the other failed. Which is it now?

So IMO it is a great idea, but i think the devs just don't have the resources or the project didn't have time to mature yet. I'll definitely check out the next version. Maybe they'll fix the package manager.
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:00:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00958 seconds