Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17140] Wed, 30 July 2008 21:22 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I would love to have "profiling" directly in TheIDE, but there's no such thing. Very Happy

The RTIMING (?) macro is nice when you know which part you want to attack, but I'm missing some way to measure all relevant code together and compare it in absolute/relative numbers to know which parts are slowing me down badly, down to every single function calls, preferably down to template based functions. Smile

I was able to switch on the MSC profiling data which can be used for profiler-based compilation next time (does not interest me yet, maybe later), but the data itself are binary and I don't have idea how to view them. The file extension is pcg which is also used for some "photo CD" files, so I was unable to google anything reasonable for this one.

For GCC (MINGW) I did notice something like "gprof" mentioned on google, but it's not included with UPP MINGW, and I didn't dig further into the issue.

So, anyone has some real life experience with UPP apps profiling, and knows some free easy to use tools? Preferably for Win32, although some excellent tool for linux would made me reboot. Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 30 July 2008 21:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17142 is a reply to message #17140] Wed, 30 July 2008 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 30 July 2008 15:22

I would love to have "profiling" directly in TheIDE, but there's no such thing. Very Happy

The RTIMING (?) macro is nice when you know which part you want to attack, but I'm missing some way to measure all relevant code together and compare it in absolute/relative numbers to know which parts are slowing me down badly, down to every single function calls, preferably down to template based functions. Smile

I have tons of experience with RTIMING Smile IMO it leads you directly to the bottleneck quite quickly.

Of course, if you are not afraid inserting RTIMING even to U++ code, so better. But often it is not even necessary.

It is usually quite straightforward to find out where the problem is. Just start in CONSOLE_APP_MAIN, if you call more than single function there. Put one RTIMING to the whole CONSOLE_APP_MAIN, then move other RTIMING between blocks or function calls of MAIN. When you identify the "clockcycle eater", descend to that block or function and repeat the process.

The main RTIMING will always serve you to see proportions...

Mirek
Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17144 is a reply to message #17140] Thu, 31 July 2008 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
If you consider using Linux, then combination of callgrind + kcachegrind is a perfect solution.

I've been also using Rational quantfy on Solaris, Linux, and Windows. It works well, and it costs a lot.

gprof just doesn't work.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17149 is a reply to message #17140] Thu, 31 July 2008 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Mirek: that's exactly what will not work for me. I have one big processing functions which eats 100% of CPU, and I know why/how, and there's no direct bottleneck in it (or other way around, everything in it is bottleneck). So I'm not looking into searching for bottleneck, but to tune little parts one by one, and to know where to start I would like overall view.

Novo: thanks for advice, I'm sort of looking at valgrind(+proper modules) too, but unfortunately right now I don't have linux distribution at my notebook (and last time I tried to install my favorite Kubuntu it had some problems with HW), where I spend half of my development time, so I will check it later. Wink

Anyway, I did find something called "Shiny" http://sourceforge.net/projects/shinyprofiler (it has similar license to U++), which does require putting something into your code (so it very likely breaks inlining and other optimizations), so it's similar to RTIMING, yet there's the ready to use std::ostream text output, so it does save you some "LOG << this is result" work when compared to RTIMING.
Now I see I did download official zip which is a bit behind current SVN, but after tiny fixes/changes it works for me, and I don't want to spend more time with it now.

I'm adding my UPP packages if anyone is interested (I did put them into upp/bazaar at my HDD, as I'm using the UnitTest++ package from it too). But I don't think it is ready to be included with UPP in next versions.

If anyone has spare time and is interested, feel free to examine this package, update it from SVN and make sure it works under many platforms, the license is friendly, so eventually we may add it to bazaar in future(?).

As is, it works for me with 2008.1 under WinXP with both MSC8 and MINGW.
  • Attachment: ShinyUPP.7z
    (Size: 11.38KB, Downloaded 290 times)
Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17150 is a reply to message #17140] Thu, 31 July 2008 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
One thing which I don't like about it right now is, that under MSC I get in output full "MyClass::Get", but under MINGW I get just "Get", which is of course confusing a lot when you have "Get" in several classes.

If anyone would be able to fix this at Shiny sources, I would thank him a lot. Very Happy
Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17151 is a reply to message #17149] Thu, 31 July 2008 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 03:56

it later. Wink

Anyway, I did find something called "Shiny" http://sourceforge.net/projects/shinyprofiler (it has similar license to U++), which does require putting something into your code (so it very likely breaks inlining and other optimizations), so it's similar to RTIMING, yet there's the ready to use std::ostream text output, so it does save you some "LOG << this is result" work when compared to RTIMING.

Ehm, maybe you should check reference example related to TIMING. Of course, there are no more LOGs with it.

Just use

{
RTIMING("MyBlockTiming");
}

and that is all.

Mirek
Re: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone? [message #17152 is a reply to message #17140] Thu, 31 July 2008 10:34 Go to previous message
Experienced Contributor
hmm... maybe I should check reference next time, you are right. Very Happy
(still the Shiny has the call-tree too, so it has some added value anyway)

edit: I tried your RTIMING way, and honestly, the Shiny output gives much better overview.
Although for single routine tuning the RTIMING is perfectly valid solution, and built-in into UPP Core, thanks for the "tutorial", now I will know. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2008 10:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Next Topic: A Newbie Manual cum Tutorial?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:52:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01931 seconds