Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux
U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux [message #17269] Tue, 05 August 2008 12:42 Go to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I've been noticing lately that applications have very long start up time under Linux (over 6 seconds on powerfull machines; OpenOffice loads faster), even with NOGTK flag.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Re: U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux [message #17270 is a reply to message #17269] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
No with console applications...
If I will try UWord, should I see the long startup? (I will try in couple of minutes, I'm just testing the Shiny profiler package right now under Kubuntu)

BTW, is it you who did install lot of fonts? I think that may be the cause too.
Re: U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux [message #17271 is a reply to message #17270] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Yes, UWord is a fine example of the problem and I'm the one who installed the fonts. Good hint!
Re: U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux [message #17273 is a reply to message #17269] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Tried UWord with GCC Optimal.

First "cold" start after compilation:
1.5~2sec until window has been shown (still considerably faster than OOo).
second "hot" start:
instant

So I think it's just your box. And I have very strong suspicion on the font number installed...

BTW, you may try to profile the startup with Shiny? I wonder whether it would do good job and return relevant results, but I think it may be very tedious to add those PROFILE_FUNC() macros on enough places in startup code. Very Happy Although once inserted, I don't see a reason why the results would be not relevant.
(but it may take some time to run with profiling ON, for my console application it makes 45s run from 4s ... than again I hit the PROFILE macro during execution well over 80 million times...)

[Updated on: Tue, 05 August 2008 13:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: U++ apps have very long startup time under Linux [message #17274 is a reply to message #17273] Tue, 05 August 2008 14:09 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Indeed, it was the fonts. I found out not by using the profiler, but by uninstalling them. I will investigate what U++ does with fonts that takes so much time.
Previous Topic: Upp in VS-2008
Next Topic: How to disable linking of a package?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 18:40:46 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04675 seconds