Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Locale troubles with UPP
Locale troubles with UPP [message #1416] Fri, 03 March 2006 04:26 Go to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

We have come across some locale issues when trying to use UPP.

On Windows XP, runnning in Japanese locale, we can not compile the Core due to:

1. warnings from msc 8 about wrong codepage for .iml and .t files

2. codepage 1252 strings interpreted as containing newlines by codepage 932, resulting in errors

In particular, IMAGE_SCAN part.

You can change the locale to English to compile, but that is not a solution for us as many of our Japanese apps will then fail. Alas, make clean also cleans Core!

These issues do not occur if you use mingw.

C# Compiler has a /codepage= switch, but vc8 does not.

3. (low severity) NetBSD with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

All applications (exmples) with a layout, seems to double the width of all widgets, making the frame double in width beyond my desktop. Can not be Zoomed smaller (in width). Unsetting locale result in normal behavior.
Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1418 is a reply to message #1416] Fri, 03 March 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
You can try using normal translation infrastructure: Write your app in english and translate using that .t files.
Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1421 is a reply to message #1416] Fri, 03 March 2006 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
[quote title=lundman wrote on Thu, 02 March 2006 22:26]
We have come across some locale issues when trying to use UPP.

On Windows XP, runnning in Japanese locale, we can not compile the Core due to:

1. warnings from msc 8 about wrong codepage for .iml and .t files

2. codepage 1252 strings interpreted as containing newlines by codepage 932, resulting in errors

In particular, IMAGE_SCAN part.

You can change the locale to English to compile, but that is not a solution for us as many of our Japanese apps will then fail. Alas, make clean also cleans Core!

These issues do not occur if you use mingw.

C# Compiler has a /codepage= switch, but vc8 does not.
[/quite]

In fact, this is one thing I am totally puzzled about MSC8. I have encountered this problem in another context already, seems like MSC8 decided to do some quite strange games with local and character literals (while all other compilers known to me simply take the content of character literal as it is and as expected).

Please, I would need somebody to investigate this strange issue!

Quote:

3. (low severity) NetBSD with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

All applications (exmples) with a layout, seems to double the width of all widgets, making the frame double in width beyond my desktop. Can not be Zoomed smaller (in width). Unsetting locale result in normal behavior.

Hm, interesting moment - U++ meets far east...

Mirek
Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1449 is a reply to message #1421] Sat, 04 March 2006 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Definitely a problem with VC8. Nothing I can do, besides changing Windows back to English completely, will let me compile the Core, let alone HelloWorld.

This appears to be a bug with VC8. When we tried with 7.1 it works fine. Please don't drop support for this yet. There was a mention on MS-KB that maybe something like AppLocale.exe could fix it, but I do not have the patience to deal with Windows.

Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1452 is a reply to message #1449] Sat, 04 March 2006 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Sat, 04 March 2006 07:07

Definitely a problem with VC8. Nothing I can do, besides changing Windows back to English completely, will let me compile the Core, let alone HelloWorld.

This appears to be a bug with VC8. When we tried with 7.1 it works fine. Please don't drop support for this yet. There was a mention on MS-KB that maybe something like AppLocale.exe could fix it, but I do not have the patience to deal with Windows.

What a pity... Wink Could you at least provide a link to that MS-KB article?

Mirek
Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1478 is a reply to message #1452] Mon, 06 March 2006 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

I went back to this. They recommended applocale, which might work, if you run XP, but is not supported on Win2k.

I tried various methods of wrapping IDE, etc, with .bat files that first set the codepage, #pragma for codepage, and setlocale() but nothing lets me compile upp.

We are forced to stay 7.1 until MS can solve it.

Lund
Re: Locale troubles with UPP [message #1481 is a reply to message #1478] Mon, 06 March 2006 07:53 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
lundman wrote on Mon, 06 March 2006 00:28

I went back to this. They recommended applocale, which might work, if you run XP, but is not supported on Win2k.

I tried various methods of wrapping IDE, etc, with .bat files that first set the codepage, #pragma for codepage, and setlocale() but nothing lets me compile upp.

We are forced to stay 7.1 until MS can solve it.

Lund

After some research... have you tried

#pragma setlocale("C")

?

Place it somewhere into Core/Core.h or Core/Defs.h...

This info indicates it should help...:

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=36782

I would gladly place it into Core.h....

Mirek

[Updated on: Mon, 06 March 2006 07:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Czech (international) input in Linux
Next Topic: CtrlCore: X11App.cpp should #include <locale.h> [BUG][FIXED]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:23:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02037 seconds