Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » App window does not show up when run in Run_options/Console
App window does not show up when run in Run_options/Console [message #17866] Sun, 31 August 2008 22:46 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I have made simple GUI MT application based on the layout template...
And when I choose "Execute Ctrl+F5", the window will not show up, if the "Run options/Standart output:" is set to Console.
Made me to scratch my head several times until I figured out (as I'm using "Console" option extensively for my console apps, TheIDE *is* faster with output than ordinary cmd.exe or linux shell, nice job).
The process does start, but it eats 0% CPU and remains "silent" without window or title in task bar.

I think in ideal world it would be nice to run the application with window, and catch std:out into IDE's console window?
(I'm sort of new to windowed applications programming, so I'm not sure this makes sense)

----
Another minor problem I have hit:
I did use "EditIntNotNull" with Min/Max values in layout. So far, so good... I did put it right on the main window, with "null" value after start. (it has bright red background indicating the value is wrong, so far, everything is ok).

Now when I press Alt+F4 or hit the "close" button of window, I get message box "Null value not allowed."
This behavior did really surprise me, I though hitting "close" is like "cancel" and there's no need to validate content then.

Also I didn't find a quick way how to catch the "Enter" hit in that edit box, i.e. when user did finish to enter the number. I found out how to detect any edit action, so I fresh the window after every key hit and it work ok for my case, but I'm curious if somebody can give some hint about this from head.
(also I would expect that validation dialog to happen after "Enter" is hit.. it does not)

Maybe I should read more of GUI tutorials... Smile
Re: App window does not show up when run in Run_options/Console [message #17867 is a reply to message #17866] Mon, 01 September 2008 00:00 Go to previous message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I can (maybe) help with your GUI problems:
1- The problem with the Null value is caused by not having a Rejector set for the window. Normally this is assigned by CtrlLayoutOKCancel, CtrlLayoutCancel or CtrlLayoutExit so usually this isn't a problem. There are three ways around the problem I can think of:
Add an exit button and call CtrlLayoutExit.
Assign a rejector.
Rejector(*this, IDCANCEL);

Don't call Run on the main window (assuming that is the one causing the problem).
window.OpenMain();
EventLoop();

2- Key events propagate up if not handled by a child ctrl, so you can pick up the K_RETURN event in you main window (which makes more sense anyway)
Previous Topic: How to disable linking of a package?
Next Topic: Different results from same code&settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:42:26 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02797 seconds