FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » Bazaar - Call of duty
Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18195] Tue, 16 September 2008 09:34 Go to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Hi. I'm interested to know if packages from bazaar can be used in production code, how mature are they and if they are actively maintained. So i'm asking contributors from Bazaar about their code. Also i want to know which docking package is actively maintained, because i see 2 docking packages.(I've tested them and both are giving an assert in some circumstances - maybe the examples are not good).
So please give some information about your package from Bazaar, how mature is it, which known bugs are yet unfixed, etc.
I want to hear also the opinion of users of packages from bazaar.

Thanks,
Andrei

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18199 is a reply to message #18195] Tue, 16 September 2008 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm using UnitTest++ for my own projects on daily basis, and I didn't hit any major problems, i.e. it's mature for me (but read my README included with the package for some minor issues). But I use it in a very simple and basic way, no fancy stuff, so I have no idea what's the status of some extended features.
I case you have some problem with it, let me know, I will try to fix it and change the SVN. Sometimes I also check upstream for changes to keep it as recent as possible.

I did also post "shiny profiler" here at forum (didn't upload it to SVN), and for basic function profiling it works ok, but recently I tried to measure partial blocks of code and similar extended stuff which is supposed to work, and I had to fix several sources to make it usable, so I think I will not add that one anytime soon into SVN, it's not mature enough. Maybe if more people would be interested for an integrated (as much as it makes sense) profiler into TheIDE, we can use that as a base for our own profiler, as the base code is IMHO good, but it would need lot of polish to turn it into "just works" package.

I'm user of Scatter control occasionally, but I can't remember whether did that work without any modification or I had to touch it. I'm just sure it was joy to use and it did save me lot of work, and also learned me a thing or two about GUI programming.
I think it is enough ready for production code.
Re: Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18202 is a reply to message #18195] Tue, 16 September 2008 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
bytefield wrote on Tue, 16 September 2008 10:34

Hi. I'm interested to know if packages from bazaar can be used in production code, how mature are they and if they are actively maintained. So i'm asking contributors from Bazaar about their code. Also i want to know which docking package is actively maintained, because i see 2 docking packages.(I've tested them and both are giving an assert in some circumstances - maybe the examples are not good).
So please give some information about your package from Bazaar, how mature is it, which known bugs are yet unfixed, etc.
I want to hear also the opinion of users of packages from bazaar.

Thanks,
Andrei

Well, unfortunately the development of "DockCtrl" is stopped. It's perhaps better that I remove it from the SVN, since the latest code can also be found on it's forum topic page(U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems/DockCtr). OTOH, "Docking" package is mature, and AFAIK it'll be the "official" docking package of U++ soon. Although docking is much much more "complete" compared to "DockCtlr", it may be possible to port small features from DockCtrl to Docking if really needed.

Re: Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18204 is a reply to message #18195] Tue, 16 September 2008 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Thanks for your answers. I was thinking to use Bazaar stuffs especially one of docking package.
Until now i didn't used unit test to test my code, but thanks to mr_ped i will give it a try.

I don't know if removing DockCtrl from svn is a good idea because DockCtrl still is one example of how to use Upp and have some useful ideas. I will like to find sources in svn rather than searching for them in forum. IMO one thing that should be done with packages which don't have an active development process or the development process has stopped is to mark them (in description) as "Development Stopped"(or something like that) or to put a warning in example which us them informing other programmer to not use that code because it is deprecated.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Tue, 16 September 2008 14:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18234 is a reply to message #18204] Thu, 18 September 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I would hesitate to call the Docking package 'mature', as I don't think enough people have actually used it yet to find all of the issues (both bugs and problems with the API), but I use it in production code. It is certainly still in development and I have a TODO list, but this is dependent on having time (which currently I haven't). If you have specific issues that need addressing I can usually do this in a timely manner though.

Most of my other code in Bazaar is composed of realtively simple experiments and I consider them 'finished', although I will again fix any specific issues. MultiList is a an exception in that it may end up replacing ColumnList as the core listbox-type component.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 September 2008 14:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bazaar - Call of duty [message #18240 is a reply to message #18234] Thu, 18 September 2008 18:31 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Maybe we need finer structure, with lower level "sandbox"?

Mirek
Previous Topic: My Simple U++ Application
Next Topic: RSS Parser/Composer Class For U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:15:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01291 seconds