Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » upp 3D engine
upp 3D engine [message #18214] Wed, 17 September 2008 13:24 Go to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Just a little question to know if somebody would be interested by this feature.
The idea is to have a global package which would help the developpement of applications using 3d graphics or video games.
I have many experience in developpment of 3D engine and i think the power of UPP core could be a solid basis.

What are your opinions ?
Re: upp 3D engine [message #18215 is a reply to message #18214] Wed, 17 September 2008 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Absolutely. What do you have in mind beyond the current OpenGL example packages?
Re: upp 3D engine [message #18262 is a reply to message #18214] Fri, 19 September 2008 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
cocob wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 12:24

Just a little question to know if somebody would be interested by this feature.
The idea is to have a global package which would help the developpement of applications using 3d graphics or video games.
I have many experience in developpment of 3D engine and i think the power of UPP core could be a solid basis.

What are your opinions ?

This sounds a bit like re-inventing the wheel to me, and without serious manpower I doubt it would be possible to get close to the features supplied by other open-source engines.

Providing a wrapper/ctrl for an existing engine would be easier. I've already got an OgreCtrl somewhere that can attach and render using Ogre3D (in OpengGL mode anyway, I never tested Direct3D). The Ogre interface is pretty horrible compared to Upp, but can be improved a bit with some some wrapper functions.

On the other hand, if you simply want to create an engine as a project (ie. for challenge/amusement) then go for it.
Re: upp 3D engine [message #18265 is a reply to message #18262] Fri, 19 September 2008 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Quote:

Providing a wrapper/ctrl for an existing engine would be easier.

This is what I thought was meant from the beginning... I agree that duplicating effort by creating a new 3d engine may be too much. If anything, OpenGL needs some smart people to help them out. Consider this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opengl-directx,2019.html. And that is posted by a respected tech web site.. uhh.
Re: upp 3D engine [message #18416 is a reply to message #18214] Sun, 28 September 2008 20:58 Go to previous message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
I totaly agree with you, when i am speaking about 3D engine it would be an interface of an existing engine like Ogre ! But this should exist in UPP !
Previous Topic: AggCtrl
Next Topic: netscape colors as COLORREF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:59:30 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 2.03644 seconds