FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Linux Mandriva
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18443 is a reply to message #18440] Wed, 01 October 2008 10:01 Go to previous message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
bytefield wrote on Tue, 30 September 2008 21:26

I've tried Gentoo ... Rolling Eyes

Thank you for having tried. And indeed I did not say it would be perfect, nor very easy.
Quote:

X server failed to set correct resolution.

Did you follow this guide :
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
X configuration is not something trivial, I admit it.
Quote:

I have to install manually WLAN drivers.

Yes that does not surprise me much. But reading through the lines, it seems you succeeded in installing manually. This is anyway a good point.
Quote:

It's BSD based, so it's not Linux, because of that it doesn't have apt-get, dpkg, etc. and other programs that i usually use.

1. It HAS apt-get and dpkg. just need to type "emerge dpkg" (for apt-get I don't remember the package name). But it's not the way to install packages on gentoo, I already said it. Gentoo uses Portage.
2. Not using (or even having) apt-get and dpkg does not mean it's not GNU/Linux! Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution. But now that you talk about it, there is a Gentoo/FreeBSD project existing (gentoo running on top of FreeBSD instead of Linux). By the way, Red Hat based distros use RPMs and not DEBs. So Red Hat is not Linux either ? Rolling Eyes
Quote:

emerge gave me some errors i've tried to install Upp

Yes the ebuild is outdated. Upp should be installed manually from source, or using the debian package and dpkg ("emerge dpkg" installs it, I repeat).

I'm really glad you gave it a try. I know Gentoo is hard at first view. I'm also glad that you found a distro that suits you. We all have different requirements, and I've been switching from gentoo to Ubuntu last year. I came back to gentoo because of system crashes that occurred way too often for a GNU/Linux system, and features I was missing in Gentoo. But it was an interesting experience.

I hope your Ubuntu platform will fulfill your wishes. Smile

cheers,
Lionel

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2008 10:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: UBUNTU 8.04 - /init: /init: 1: cannot open /dev/root: No such device or address
Next Topic: What license Ultimate++ should use? Tell us!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:32:56 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04356 seconds