Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Open Question: How did you learn C++?
Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19313] Tue, 25 November 2008 17:38 Go to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
This is an open question to everyone, though I'd love to hear from Mirek and Tomas and the other U++ developers too.

How did you learn C++?
More specifically...
What books did you read? What classes did you take? What process do you recommend to master C++? What are the important things to know and parts of C++ to concentrate on? What were the major problems you encountered while learning?

Re: Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19440 is a reply to message #19313] Wed, 03 December 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
I would also like to hear some advices how to master C++ and also i will like to hear how others approached C++.
I'm still learning how to master C++ as i don't know it as is described by C++98 and C++0x standards Razz . Officially, this is my first year learning C++ in university at POO course. I started learning computers programming as autodidact and C++ was my first language. Still don't know all features of C++ but day by day I'm improving my knowledge. Now i hope to hear how Mirek, Thomas, Daniel, Max, James and others learned C++. Common guys, don't be shy Smile, I don't know how you leave over this post.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19460 is a reply to message #19313] Thu, 04 December 2008 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello captainc and bytefield

I can not give you a good answer as my path to C++ has not been straight.

My only clear guide was The C Programming Language. An excellent book.

For me Bjarne Stroustrup The C++ Programming Language was too hard to read (or worst).

I learned C++ from simple books and after that I have only used a percentage of the full C++ as it is too complex to fit in my head!. I really think it is enough, and after finding Ultimate I think it is all that I need. Perhaps if you think full C++ is too complex for you, you are simply right. You do not need it all.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19465 is a reply to message #19460] Thu, 04 December 2008 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I was originally developing my first major commercial application in C.

Then I have noticed that I repeat certain constructs over and over - and C++ was able to do that for me.

So that is perhaps the right path - you can learn new C++ features by simply needing them.

Mirek
Re: Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19467 is a reply to message #19465] Fri, 05 December 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Fully agree. I have a colleague that is working with C and I am helping him. I am helping him to enter in C++ in the areas that C++ is just a better C. For ejample:
- To let a function to change the value of some variables
-- In C you have to give a pointer
-- In C++ you can give simply references
As pointers is a problem for non experienced and experienced programmers in this case is much simpler to use references
- To group variables very related:
-- In C you use structs
-- In C++ you can also use classes
The class is just a better struct
In opposite to Java or C# you can do programs in C++ that really seem C

So, sorry Linus Torvalds ( http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57643 /focus=57918), I agree that in C you could do it right, but I think in C++ you could do it better.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Open Question: How did you learn C++? [message #19483 is a reply to message #19467] Sat, 06 December 2008 19:42 Go to previous message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

I found Interesting books here:

• Working Draft, Standard for Programming Language C++ by Pete Becker from 2008-10-04
  • Technical Report on C++ Performance, from 2006
  • Draft Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions, by Matt Austern, from 2005-06-24
  • Extension for the programming language C++ to support decimal floating-point arithmetic, from 2008-08-22

If anybody have more better resources I would be glad to know!
Previous Topic: Which Upp version do you use?
Next Topic: What would give a great push to Upp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:05:24 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01890 seconds