Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Cool!
Cool! [message #19499] Tue, 09 December 2008 09:00 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
http://rogeralsing.com/2008/12/07/genetic-programming-evolut ion-of-mona-lisa/
Re: Cool! [message #19507 is a reply to message #19499] Tue, 09 December 2008 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emr84 is currently offline  emr84
Promising Member
Very interesting!! Shocked
Re: Cool! [message #19508 is a reply to message #19507] Tue, 09 December 2008 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Started me thinking about converting arbitrary image into highly compressed svg Smile

The algorithm used is highly unoptimal, it is not even true genetic algorithm, but his idea of using alpha channel is brilliant!

Mirek
Re: Cool! [message #19510 is a reply to message #19508] Tue, 09 December 2008 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Really cool stuff !
I wonder how long it takes to get the final picture....

Max
Re: Cool! [message #19532 is a reply to message #19508] Fri, 12 December 2008 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 21:19

Started me thinking about converting arbitrary image into highly compressed svg Smile

The algorithm used is highly unoptimal, it is not even true genetic algorithm, but his idea of using alpha channel is brilliant!

Mirek

I think using optional vertex colors + alpha will add much flexibility while keeping archive data almost as short as original idea. Also this structure (polygons w/vertex colors) will be compatible with graphics accelerators` polygons so it will be possible to use GPU processing to quickly build resulting image.
Also I think this approach will be even more effective on real-world videos, where it is possible to 'morph' polygons through the frames.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 December 2008 09:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cool! [message #19533 is a reply to message #19532] Fri, 12 December 2008 09:53 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 12 December 2008 01:49

luzr wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 21:19

Mirek

I think using optional vertex colors + alpha will add much flexibility while keeping archive data almost as short as original idea. Also this structure (polygons w/vertex colors) will be compatible with graphics accelerators` polygons so it will be possible to use GPU processing to quickly build resulting image.
Also I think this approach will be even more effective on real-world videos, where it is possible to 'morph' polygons through the frames.

Yes, my thinking runs along similar lines Smile

Also, introducing a little bit more rigid structure (e.g. use only triangles and only place new triangles by dividing existing ones to 4) could have interesting use in computer vision.

But then you should have to try a better algorithm...

One option is to start with reduced resolution, then increase resolution as approximation converges.

Mirek
Previous Topic: What would give a great push to Upp
Next Topic: Googlecode increased svn repository quota to 1GB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:37:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01657 seconds