Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...)
upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1593] Thu, 09 March 2006 12:11 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
please, comment:
1. structure and listing order?
2. style of short descriptions : should it be playful or dry accademic?
3. other things

Quote:

Ultimate++ can also be called "C++ cross-platform rapid application development suite" - it includes a stand-alone integrated development environment application (theIDE) and a set of libraries (GUI, SQL, etc..)

1. Ultimate's IDE - TheIDE tools and features:

1.1. Packages and assemblies - a revoliutionary system to manage your projects.
Tired of thinking how to connect your projects? How to organize your directories?
With use of packages and assemblies and "everything belongs somewhere", the IDE introduces modular concepts to C++ programming (read more...).

1.2 Fast switching between compilers and their configurations
theIDE can work with GCC, MinGW and Visual C++ 7.1 or 8.0 compilers (including free Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition) (read more...)

1.3. Shorter building times with BLITZ-build technology.
Frustrated waiting for ages all compiles to finish after a small edit?
TheIDE features BLITZ-build technology to speedup C++ rebuilds up to 4 times (read more...)

1.4. Debugger.
the IDE also contains a fully-featured debugger (read more...)

1.5. Layout (or form) designer.
Do not fancy creating all widgets by programming? Want them quickly?
TheIDE built-in Layout designer comes to help (read more...)

1.6 Icon designer.
Want to create nice icons?
You don't need an extra application. Ultimate's powerful IconDesigner is integrated into the IDE. (read more...).

1.7 Code assistant
 Assist++ is a powerful C++ code analyzer which provides features like code completion, navigation and transformation (read more...)

1.8 Documentation tool
Ultimate's Topic++ enables programmers to use it as a help system and, at the same time while programming, create or expand code documentation in rich text format. (read more)

1.9 Application templating system
Which programmer likes .... (read more)

TheIDE can also be used to develop non-U++ applications.

U++ distributions combine U++ with 3rd party tools like MinGW compiler or SDL library to provide an instant development platform.

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1596 is a reply to message #1593] Thu, 09 March 2006 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Not bad, however, save the time a start developing it as topic in uppweb package of uppbox, with proper formatting etc.. (personally I would prefere bullets to numbers here).

Just do not link it to the main page yet. BTW, I am using that package to develop "PR" texts quite often...

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 09 March 2006 15:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1605 is a reply to message #1593] Thu, 09 March 2006 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
"free C++ cross-platform rapid application development suite"

You should mention the translation framework as well, I think.

Maybe layout-designer, BLITZ, Assist++ and debugger should be on the top of the list in this order.
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1615 is a reply to message #1605] Fri, 10 March 2006 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
zsolt wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:32

"free C++ cross-platform rapid application development suite"

You should mention the translation framework as well, I think.

Yes, definetely.

zsolt wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:32

Maybe layout-designer, BLITZ, Assist++ and debugger should be on the top of the list in this order.

I think, "packages and assemblies" is the most distinctive feature of U++. No other IDE's have got it. That's why it should be on top.

Then BLITZ. But it must be "introduced" by mentioning compilers.
Next logical part of compiling section - debugger.

This correlates with the usage sequence of "the most universal case" (framework independant, not U++ .):

1. Choose package.
2. Choose compiler-configuration.
3. Compile.
4. Debug.

Then maybe it would be logical to list Assistant++, because of its "universal" usage?

Generally speaking, I want the IDE to look more attractive as IDE for non U++ users. What do you think?
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1620 is a reply to message #1615] Fri, 10 March 2006 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ok, I've created a topic file for this and tried to upload it via uvs2 (uppbox) but it started pumping 5.7 MB, so I tried to cancel. What do I need to change in uvs2 just to upload e.g 1 file?

Edited:
Sorry, this was the wrong file.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 10:00]

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1624 is a reply to message #1620] Fri, 10 March 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 02:17

Ok, I've created a topic file for this and tried to upload it via uvs2 (uppbox) but it started pumping 5.7 MB, so I tried to cancel. What do I need to change in uvs2 just to upload e.g 1 file?

Inside the IDEOverview file, there is "Reference examples" title and single sentence. Is that correct?

Mirek
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1625 is a reply to message #1624] Fri, 10 March 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 08:39

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 10 March 2006 02:17

Inside the IDEOverview file, there is "Reference examples" title and single sentence. Is that correct?

Mirek

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 09:58]

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1643 is a reply to message #1593] Sat, 11 March 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
It could be useful to create a poll with a question like
Quote:

What was the most interesting/valuable part for you in Ultimate++ when you started to use it?
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #1645 is a reply to message #1593] Sat, 11 March 2006 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
It could be useful to create a poll with a question like
Quote:

What was the most interesting/valuable part for you in Ultimate++ when you started to use it?
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2021 is a reply to message #1615] Thu, 30 March 2006 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sephir is currently offline  sephir
Promising Member
fudadmin wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:29

Generally speaking, I want the IDE to look more attractive as IDE for non U++ users. What do you think?

My idea of attractive is not really about being colorful and kind of design rich like VC++'s "dockable panels" for instance. but something functional.

I am not sure if my words are very clear but I believe that an attractive UI is the one that is functional and provides easy to use macros. Well, I hope that may help anyway for your general brainstorming.

476f34778d96b95d9d79df2162b34874
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2023 is a reply to message #2021] Thu, 30 March 2006 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
sephir wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 00:22

fudadmin wrote on Thu, 09 March 2006 20:29

My idea of attractive is not really about being colorful and kind of design rich like VC++'s "dockable panels" for instance. but something functional.

I am not sure if my words are very clear but I believe that an attractive UI is the one that is functional and provides easy to use macros. Well, I hope that may help anyway for your general brainstorming.

Who was talking about beeing attractive as beeing colorful ? Smile
The talk was: what features are needed for non U++ users (pure C++ etc.). Can you list any?
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2025 is a reply to message #2023] Thu, 30 March 2006 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 18:36

The talk was: what features are needed for non U++ users (pure C++ etc.). Can you list any?

Well I am still testing the IDE and reading documentation but as far as I read I didn't still find a version control system or some wizards for snippets (like for instance, a macro for magically including a 2dArray skelleton). Correct me if I am mistaken please.

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2027 is a reply to message #2025] Thu, 30 March 2006 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
sephir wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 00:48

fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 18:36

Well I am still testing the IDE and reading documentation but as far as I read I didn't still find a version control system or some wizards for snippets (like for instance, a macro for magically including a 2dArray skelleton). Correct me if I am mistaken please.

Sorry for beeing not clear enough. But this forum section is about the documention (and its roadmap) which comes with what you download and on the websites. This particular discussion has been about which existing features are the most useful (wrong word "needed"?) and how to present or emphasize them to potential users.

To suggest new IDE or library features please use "Wishlist" forums accordingly. BTW, there's a new topic about class wizards... We are happy to see active people around! Smile
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2031 is a reply to message #2027] Thu, 30 March 2006 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
So far with my limited experience with TheIDE (on WinXP) I feel the speed of start was great and it doesn't also eat too many system resources.
Otherwise TheIDE is still way behind MS VisualStudio (in terms of easy-to-find + easy-to-use as half of the functionality is already there (other half missing)), looks like some beta to me in many aspects. Probably already usable to develop big projects (even by other people, not just creators of U++), but not mature yet.
Can't find anything spectacular about the IDE itself. Than again, I did use it just few times, still evaluating it.

I think even good documentation will *not* help TheIDE in it's current state, when many functions are "hidden" (not shown in context menu (in correct context), sometimes even completely missing from upper menu, just listening to the hot-key). As many people are used to learn such software by exploring it functions, not by reading documentation.
I just run TheIDE to test one basic thing right now ... Open any package ... hit F1 .... bang bang bang ... *nothing* happens. This UI design is hopeless. Sorry. Lot of work to do.
I think TheIDE is not a thing to advertise too much. Not YET.
OTOH I believe the potential is there, it is really a great tool once you get used to it.
Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2152 is a reply to message #2027] Sun, 02 April 2006 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 21:51

please use "Wishlist" forums accordingly.

Mmmh... Isn't here the wishlist forum?

Re: upp webpage: the IDE features and tools overview (draft...) [message #2155 is a reply to message #2152] Sun, 02 April 2006 15:27 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
sephir wrote on Sun, 02 April 2006 14:07

fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 21:51

please use "Wishlist" forums accordingly.

Mmmh... Isn't here the wishlist forum?

this one is for documentation- what and how to make documentation better. Please read the forum names. Smile
Edit:
To be precise:
" U++ Documentation: Wishlist, Roadmap etc. "...

I was reffering you to:
"U++ TheIDE: Features Wishlist"
"U++ Library Wishlist"

[Updated on: Sun, 02 April 2006 15:30]

Previous Topic: It is needed to write a press release about the release of upp-602
Next Topic: Macros-> PLATFORM_*, CPU_* and COMPILER_* [DOCUMENTATION REMINDER :)]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:58:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01150 seconds