Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » Bazaar Copyright
Bazaar Copyright [message #20246] Thu, 05 March 2009 00:05 Go to next message
drjo1952 is currently offline  drjo1952
Promising Member
I am using and have significantly added to the 'Scatter' package added by Copyright (C) 2006-2007, Andrei-Catalin. I am a little concerned about the copyright of work added in the Bazaar and distributed with the base package. By adding a copyright notice, user's are effectively locked out from using the code without express permission from the copyright holder. What is the 'offical' position of the Ultimate developer community? By the way, most of my current experiences with U++ have been extremely positive. U++ NTL objects are very fast and effective for scientific programming purposes (my benchmarks show x4 speed improvement over normal C++ STL objects). I will shortly be adding some scientific code to the forum but need to address this copyright issue first...

drjo at the U of Arizona
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20250 is a reply to message #20246] Thu, 05 March 2009 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Personally I think that the code in Bazaar needs to have the same license as Upp, or there isn't much point. Certainly all of my submissions are under this assumption.
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20258 is a reply to message #20250] Thu, 05 March 2009 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
I think just the same. Also in my case all the Bazaar submissions and code posted in the forum have the same Upp license.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20288 is a reply to message #20246] Fri, 06 March 2009 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei-catalin is currently offline  andrei-catalin
As well for me. Glad what I done to be useful.

Andrei
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20291 is a reply to message #20246] Fri, 06 March 2009 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

My opinion is that bazaar:
- is like a kindergarten for new packages for Upp and
- a repository for useful packages that for any reasons would not have to be in the main Upp (like libraries with small audience)

And always open to Upp people use and improvements, not like an store where you can not change the items and you have to pay for them.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20336 is a reply to message #20291] Thu, 12 March 2009 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I know that the number of people this affects is probably pretty small, but I think there should be a sticky at the top of the forum that clarifies this.

All it really needs to say is that all code posted in Bazaar is under the Upp license, and that by posting code you are accepting this condition. Just to make it clear.
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #20349 is a reply to message #20336] Fri, 13 March 2009 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Maybe we should add some COPYING file into all Bazaar stuff (similar/same as in other packages).

Mirek
Re: Bazaar Copyright [message #24483 is a reply to message #20349] Tue, 19 January 2010 09:21 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

If there is no opinion against it I will add a sentence in Bazaar page:

"All packages and code in Bazaar are under BSD license"

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: TabBarCtrl and more
Next Topic: GetUppFromDir - Creates Upp package for given directory
Goto Forum: