Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » PR!
PR! [message #20472] Fri, 20 March 2009 10:29 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Hi everybody,

with nightly builds and tremendous improvements in U++, I think it is time to reconsider little PR. Recently, we have been mostly silent for almost 1 year, not annoucements or anything anywhere, no releases.

I guess it was a good time for "silent work", but now when we are approaching a shiny new U++, maybe we could try to be a very little bit more noisy.

For starters, I think there should be someone that would care about freshmeat and usenet annoucments.

Basically, I think that "weekly review" of svn changes between nightly-builds would be ok.

I mean, take this log:

http://code.google.com/p/upp-mirror/source/list

between last annouced revision and last release, adapt (remove uninteresting elements, edit those interesting), submit to freshmeat and to some relevant usenet conferences. (Maybe, USENET could be less frequent to avoid annoying people).

Of course, the first annoucement will have to be a bit "bigger" Smile

This is simple but quite boring work, but it would make BIG difference.

Regarding PR, I am also considering:

- Deprecating the project name "Ultimate++" and using U++ only in the future. I am afraid that Ultimate++ does not sound seriously enough for many.

- Redesigning U++ logo (it is pretty old now)

- Redesigning U++ frontpage. I think that the general style of website is quite OK, but maybe we should put info there.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Just please, do not expect me to do everything Smile

Mirek
Re: PR! [message #20494 is a reply to message #20472] Fri, 20 March 2009 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

+ updating all the icons in TheIDE Very Happy
Re: PR! [message #20510 is a reply to message #20494] Sat, 21 March 2009 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
I think before drawing attention to U++ we should get prepared to explain that U++ is not just a cool C++ library and an extremely useful developer's tool, but also a system, which is completely different from everything else that C++ developers got used to use.

Otherwise we will have to answer the same questions over and over again.

It took me a lot of time to realize how huge is the difference between U++ and everything else.

Regards,
Novo
Re: PR! [message #20515 is a reply to message #20510] Sun, 22 March 2009 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Novo, I`m totally agree with you. But how can we do it? The only way I think of is creating short but succinct text (may be with short code examples). Something like "Wetting your appetite" from TheIDE Manual, but even more effective.
Re: PR! [message #20516 is a reply to message #20515] Sun, 22 March 2009 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Mindtraveller wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 20:05

Novo, I`m totally agree with you. But how can we do it? The only way I think of is creating short but succinct text (may be with short code examples). Something like "Wetting your appetite" from TheIDE Manual, but even more effective.

I'm not saying we should be afraid of that. Smile I'm just saying we better list these differences (and detailed explanations) and put this list in an unavoidable place. Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: PR! [message #20517 is a reply to message #20472] Sun, 22 March 2009 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 12:29

Just please, do not expect me to do everything Smile

OK, pack of rough sketches. No beauty, just to visualize the idea... May be it`ll lead someone to better realization.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1642&private=0
  • Attachment: upp1.jpg
    (Size: 12.26KB, Downloaded 2814 times)
Re: PR! [message #20518 is a reply to message #20510] Sun, 22 March 2009 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

Novo wrote on Sat, 21 March 2009 20:50

I think before drawing attention to U++ we should get prepared to explain that U++ is not just a cool C++ library and an extremely useful developer's tool, but also a system, which is completely different from everything else that C++ developers got used to use.

Otherwise we will have to answer the same questions over and over again.

It took me a lot of time to realize how huge is the difference between U++ and everything else.

Just for someone, it is important that while the novelty product, Ultimatepp is 100% C++ language with strict syntax.

For me, as I understand it, it was a very important factor.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: PR! [message #20519 is a reply to message #20517] Sun, 22 March 2009 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 05:11

Just please, do not expect me to do everything Smile

OK, pack of rough sketches. No beauty, just to visualize the idea... May be it`ll lead someone to better realization.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1642&private=0

There is no need to hurry up with the change of the logo. The new logo does not bear a message that this is a continuity with the C++ (unlike the old).

Also, when I first installed the product, I have long sought to know what the name of the menu? Correct! - Ultimate++! But it was not there! The menu was another unknown word - TheIDE! I think this a big mistake. Better would be to write the menu - Ultimate++, or perhaps - Ultimate++ TheIDE.

Even in the letters to our visitors, the signatures must be kept - Ultimate++ team. Everywhere!

And I think the loss is impermissible, then that site does not send notifications of new messages in subscribed threads in the mail. People read the forum and went - and then a letter - "means Ultimate - it works!". It is very important!

{
}

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2009 05:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PR! [message #20520 is a reply to message #20519] Sun, 22 March 2009 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

When a promotion commercial project - creating a website that collect the money (actually preferred product for the money) and a few sites that do not sell, but simply organize "fish place" for the target audience (the place where people congregate target audience) and which for that very target audience periodically quietly throw the message on the product sold.

Of course there is not expected to take the money, but can be used similar PR technology.

{
}
Re: PR! [message #20521 is a reply to message #20472] Sun, 22 March 2009 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Regarding PR, I am also considering:

- Deprecating the project name "Ultimate++" and using U++ only in the future. I am afraid that Ultimate++ does not sound seriously enough for many.

- Redesigning U++ frontpage. I think that the general style of website is quite OK, but maybe we should put info there.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Just please, do not expect me to do everything Smile

Mirek

Oh NO!
Ultimate++ - sounds (unlike U++). You can say it. This is yet another media vehicle.

I think you need to add more sections of the type of "Getting Started" (I do not know at this site or another).

And need more sections, which describe the benefits to me, rolling from another tool, which helps to quickly achieve the goal to Ultimate++.

Again, comparing the PR technology with the commercial product - creates a separate series of documentation - Documentation for the promotion of vendors, promotion documentation for journalists, while not explicitly called for one of those articles, but each category of readers usually know exactly its documentation.

And for beginners, and the above categories of readers are not important nuances of change in the SVN code (as it may seem sad).
For them, the goods - the very innovative approach to C++, and technology development programs in general. So it is necessary to give them their goods (I repeat - perhaps not on this site, by the way feel like to have as a link to all the project sites).

{
}
Re: PR! [message #20522 is a reply to message #20521] Sun, 22 March 2009 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

We can give an example of a product Mozilla.
There are sites:
- www.mozilla.com
- www.mozilla.org
- www.mozilla-europe.com
- help.mozilla.org
- develop.mozilla.org
and so on..

I'm not sure what to exactly the same sites as in Mozilla. But the idea - is clear.

{
}
Re: PR! [message #20526 is a reply to message #20519] Sun, 22 March 2009 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

sergeynikitin wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 06:33

1) There is no need to hurry up with the change of the logo.
2) The new logo does not bear a message that this is a continuity with the C++ (unlike the old).
3) Better would be to write the menu - Ultimate++, or perhaps - Ultimate++ TheIDE. Even in the letters to our visitors, the signatures must be kept - Ultimate++ team. Everywhere!.. People read the forum and went - and then a letter - "means Ultimate - it works!".

1) I must disagree. Current logo is of former 90`s style. Please look at the modern logos, see the difference. There`s no need for such an advanced framework (maybe the most advanced one for C++) to have old-looking logo.
Redesign is even more a task because of (3).

2) All the logos have C++ signature inside of them. It was my aim to have C++ inside of U++ logo.

3)

Deprecating the project name "Ultimate++" and using U++ only in the future. I am afraid that Ultimate++ does not sound seriously enough for many.

Re: PR! [message #20528 is a reply to message #20526] Sun, 22 March 2009 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Regarding logo, I might have been a little bit specific.

I think we should basically keep that little graphics:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/1i.png

but change the text. Of course, some minor update of graphics would be nice. But over, I think the shape is quite characteristic.

What really feels outdated is:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/index.html_0.png

Mirek
Re: PR! [message #20529 is a reply to message #20528] Sun, 22 March 2009 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 12:26

I think we should basically keep that little graphics: ...
but change the text. Of course, some minor update of graphics would be nice. But over, I think the shape is quite characteristic.
I always wondered what does colour table plus two rulers stand for in U++ logo?

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2009 10:38]

Re: PR! [message #20530 is a reply to message #20529] Sun, 22 March 2009 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Or this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1643&private=0
Re: PR! [message #20534 is a reply to message #20530] Sun, 22 March 2009 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Funny. Razz But with the logo is better not to joke.

{
}
Re: PR! [message #20535 is a reply to message #20528] Sun, 22 March 2009 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

luzr wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 12:26

What really feels outdated is:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/index.html_0.png

Mirek

This logo is not the logo. This is the first picture for the cover of the booklet. Or for flashwindow. The logo should be more strict. The logo must not lose the idea and when printing on grayscale printer, or even on 2-color printer.

Perhaps for the site to use the graphic idea of the image would be quite good.

{
}

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2009 13:42]

Re: PR! [message #20536 is a reply to message #20530] Sun, 22 March 2009 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 12:02

Or this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1643&private=0

As Mirek suggested, a horseshoe magnet with two ++ at heads, something like this image.(with ++). Razz
The design of site is too old. We need something more modern.
Like KDE, QTSoftware, Gnome, CodeBlocks...
Also first page should contain a short description of project and news updated daily or weekly about the project, new releases, community announcements and so on. The content of site should me more organized (now it is split into 11 sections which contain more sub-sections). A new forum would be nice, because this one have some problems, like showing me online long after i've logout, sometimes some messages are not shown, number of most users online in one day is almost double of current registered users. So we should extract information from it which is of actuality and use a new forum. In that way we know also the exact number of U++ users Wink
I'm thinking also at a bug reporting tool and let the forum only for trouble that users have.
After these modifications I think U++ will become a more serious project. Smile
Re: PR! [message #20539 is a reply to message #20536] Sun, 22 March 2009 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

andrei_natanael wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 15:50

As Mirek suggested, a horseshoe magnet with two ++ at heads, something like this image.(with ++). Razz
The design of site is too old. We need something more modern.
Like KDE, QTSoftware, Gnome, CodeBlocks...
Also first page should contain a short description of project and news updated daily or weekly about the project, new releases, community announcements and so on. The content of site should me more organized (now it is split into 11 sections which contain more sub-sections). A new forum would be nice, because this one have some problems, like showing me online long after i've logout, sometimes some messages are not shown, number of most users online in one day is almost double of current registered users. So we should extract information from it which is of actuality and use a new forum. In that way we know also the exact number of U++ users Wink
I'm thinking also at a bug reporting tool and let the forum only for trouble that users have.
After these modifications I think U++ will become a more serious project. Smile

No, do not need such revolutionary changes. Forum - excellent. A separate forum for bugs - unnecessary. Moreover, it is not quite in the style of community Ultimate. And in the style of Ultimate - no bugs and bug-reports, and if necessary future - then do it himself.

{
}
Re: PR! [message #20541 is a reply to message #20539] Sun, 22 March 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Sun, 22 March 2009 16:41

No, do not need such revolutionary changes. Forum - excellent. A separate forum for bugs - unnecessary. Moreover, it is not quite in the style of community Ultimate. And in the style of Ultimate - no bugs and bug-reports, and if necessary future - then do it himself.

You don't understand me in some ways... I don't want a separate forum for bug reports what I want is something like Track, useful when reporting bugs and also useful for feature request. In that way the majority of users like to interact with project developers and that's the fact why U++ in not mainstream (as some people reminded in past posts) and wide used. Even if you do a great software if you don't make it accessible to majority, it's almost nothing because just some select clients will benefit from it.

About new forum... I think current forum is old. It was released in 19 September 2006. So 3 years is enough for it. How you reflect the "innovations" which U++ and how you demonstrate it when U++ have an old forum and informations from site are mostly outdated.

I don't want to create a list with U++ shortcomings here (maybe i will start one Rolling Eyes ) but I don't see how we have an increasing community if informations we provide are outdated and old-class infos and we don't get in step with changes.

Just my 0.99$ Razz
Previous Topic: Ultimate++ referenced in french developper site
Next Topic: Review U++ in Russian open source magazine "System Administrator"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:25:47 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01382 seconds