Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs
Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20653] Mon, 30 March 2009 11:17 Go to next message
h3l1 is currently offline  h3l1
Promising Member
Hi there,

after installing always the latest version of theide, I just think it would be nice to have a file dialog option to choose from the default installation path for upp and the default installation path for myprojects. As upp has such a cool and rich GUI library why isn't it there in the installation tool?

just my 2 cents

Heli
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20877 is a reply to message #20653] Wed, 15 April 2009 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Because at the moment, U++ widgets are not available... Smile

But agreed, it should be improved. Any skilled *plain* Win32 programmer around? Smile

Mirek
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20880 is a reply to message #20877] Wed, 15 April 2009 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

what about free install tools?
I use Inno-Setup (www.jrsoftware.org).

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}

[Updated on: Wed, 15 April 2009 18:44]

Report message to a moderator

icon3.gif  Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20890 is a reply to message #20880] Thu, 16 April 2009 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reini is currently offline  Reini
Promising Member
Hello U++ Fans,

I am just keeping an eye on U++ since some months and I think now has come the time to contribute a bit Smile

So to you Mirek I would like to contribute with this topic either in doing an installer with the proposed software Inno Setup or if its really more the prefered way also a "low-level" Win32 API BrowseforFolder approach.

Meanwhile I have inspected the sourcecode for that install routine and it seems to me a bit very "low-level" and deprecated in our times. For me the only reasonable explanation for integrating that so hard coded is reducing download size but not the simplicity and acceptance for the first time user...

Or in other words the professional work behind the scenes and possibilites with U++ are not obvious to a first time user Rolling Eyes But anyway I would thank you very much for your good work.

I can do several things from coding C++ to documenting or translating in german or even other languages Cool

For learning purposes I was considering in doing some small monopoly game for my father since he plays sometimes still an rather old version of "Winopoly" which is from 1993 and written in 16 Bit Code Surprised But surprisingly it still runs in Vista...
He asked me several times for a newer version and I looked up on SF but all I found was just crap or too complicated for him compared to that old simple game. Would be also a nice demo on all supported plattforms!

In addition I am thinking to buy a Mac and do some progress in pushing U++ further on the Leopard.

Greetz from Germany

[Updated on: Thu, 16 April 2009 05:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20893 is a reply to message #20890] Thu, 16 April 2009 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Reini wrote on Wed, 15 April 2009 23:15

Hello U++ Fans,

I am just keeping an eye on U++ since some months and I think now has come the time to contribute a bit Smile

So to you Mirek I would like to contribute with this topic either in doing an installer with the proposed software Inno Setup or if its really more the prefered way also a "low-level" Win32 API BrowseforFolder approach.

Well, one good reason to avoid Inno at this time (besides the fact that I think "wizard style" installers are tedious and slow - what is wrong with fast installation?) is that win32 automated releases get generated in Wine and I am afraid it would not be so easy to control Inno build by bash script...

Mirek
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20898 is a reply to message #20893] Thu, 16 April 2009 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emr84 is currently offline  emr84
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 16 April 2009 06:42

Well, one good reason to avoid Inno at this time (besides the fact that I think "wizard style" installers are tedious and slow - what is wrong with fast installation?) is that win32 automated releases get generated in Wine and I am afraid it would not be so easy to control Inno build by bash script...

Maybe NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/)

"NSIS installers are generated by using the 'MakeNSIS' program to compile a NSIS script (.NSI) into an installer executable" (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter3.html)
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20899 is a reply to message #20653] Thu, 16 April 2009 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello Mirek and others,

Ok now I got a better understanding how this works and why u did it this way. The NSIS Installer is also available as a Linux Binary and could be the best solution since a better installer would be a nice idea for future relases.

Here is a great tutorial for Linux.

Besides what about the Idea to switch the whole build system to CMake ? I am dealing at my work with it and we come pretty good along so far on Windows and FreeBSD.

Greetz
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20906 is a reply to message #20899] Fri, 17 April 2009 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Reini wrote on Thu, 16 April 2009 11:50

Besides what about the Idea to switch the whole build system to CMake ? I am dealing at my work with it and we come pretty good along so far on Windows and FreeBSD.

No way.

But I wonder what exactly you refer to as "build system". TheIDE has its build system, which is tailored for fast and reliable C++/U++ development (package dependencies, BLITZ...).

Then there is Makefile export, mostly to have src releases of applications. Maybe we could use CMake here, OTOH the sole purpose is to get something that you can compile relatively easily; that OTOH is why you want to use the 'lowest' common standard, right?

Mirek
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20907 is a reply to message #20899] Fri, 17 April 2009 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Reini wrote on Thu, 16 April 2009 11:50

Hello Mirek and others,

Ok now I got a better understanding how this works and why u did it this way. The NSIS Installer is also available as a Linux Binary and could be the best solution since a better installer would be a nice idea for future relases.

One way or another, there is quite a lot of work involved installing something like that as compare to simply fixing the installer package.

(Fixing installer -> everything will work out of box next evening).

Mirek
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20909 is a reply to message #20907] Fri, 17 April 2009 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Anyway I understand your way of simplicity and stuff.

But on the long hand there must be a better solution for the install way.

If you wish I can do the patch for the BrowseforFolder Option in the Installer and meanwhile I try to figure out a better way on handling that automatically.

Concerning the build system is it possible to build applications only with that libs needed in this particular program ?

For eaxmple if I use only TopWindow I don't need the whole CtrlLib in my Application.

Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20911 is a reply to message #20909] Fri, 17 April 2009 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Reini wrote on Fri, 17 April 2009 08:06

Concerning the build system is it possible to build applications only with that libs needed in this particular program ?

That is the point.

Quote:

For eaxmple if I use only TopWindow I don't need the whole CtrlLib in my Application.

Then use just CtrlCore.

Mirek
icon3.gif  Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20948 is a reply to message #20911] Mon, 20 April 2009 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello Mirek and others,

Finally I have done a small Function in Win32 API for Browsing Folders. Cool

I will post it here as Attachment and will ask Mirek for including it in the next Release. I am not quite sure at the moment how to place it correctly in the upp Structure. I've seen there is a
install.cpp
where it should fit into.

Could you test that and integrate it Mirek ?

Thx so far
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #20994 is a reply to message #20948] Fri, 24 April 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Reini wrote on Mon, 20 April 2009 10:40

Hello Mirek and others,

Finally I have done a small Function in Win32 API for Browsing Folders. Cool

I will post it here as Attachment and will ask Mirek for including it in the next Release. I am not quite sure at the moment how to place it correctly in the upp Structure. I've seen there is a
install.cpp
where it should fit into.

Could you test that and integrate it Mirek ?

Thx so far

OK, using that code, I have added "Browse" button.

Mirek
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #21044 is a reply to message #20994] Tue, 28 April 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Will try the nightly build Wink

Another suggestion for the Install stuff.

I stumbled upon an interesting project called lzpack which does small packed installers that work cross platform.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/izpack

Would that be a possible solution to simplify the installer and packaging process ?

Reini
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #21057 is a reply to message #21044] Wed, 29 April 2009 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
It's not truly portable, it need Java Rolling Eyes What we want is to have an installer which run native on OS without any requirements. I think current installer(with Browse button) is quite good for Windows and Linux/Unix have sources from where to build or debian packages.
Re: Feature Request: Install Program Needs Filedialogs [message #23775 is a reply to message #20653] Fri, 20 November 2009 15:27 Go to previous message
Promising Member
Hello Mirek and others,

Lately I revised the code for the Folderbrowse stuff. I added the "Browse for Folder" Button functionality.

I would also like to propose to use this code in the second Install step where the Folder for MyApps can be selected.

Have a nice weekend
Previous Topic: Bug crashing TheIDE fixed
Next Topic: Find / Replace keyboard settings (and bug?)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:57:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05050 seconds