Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What Smartphone to buy for UPP?
What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #20781] Tue, 07 April 2009 06:36 Go to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hey I am looking at getting something like a blackberry or iPhone but would like to be able to code UPP apps for it. WHat would my best choice be? IS anyone already doing this?

It should have a hi-res screen and built in GPS or bluetooth which are accessible by UPP.

Nick
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #20827 is a reply to message #20781] Sat, 11 April 2009 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone compiled anything in UPP for any Linux smartphones? I'm just starting to look into this and am wondering WTF android is etc. Anyone managed to make anything with UPP for openMoko?
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22846 is a reply to message #20827] Fri, 21 August 2009 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so I realise that I'm talking to myself but in the coming months/years this thread will become increasingly relevent. Why not join it now and be seen as visionary Smile

The Nokia N900 appears to be heralding the shift of smartphones to full-featured Linux OS. This means that UPP will be very relevent to this market (doesn't it?).

Up to this I've been thinking that for the mobile platform I will need to recode my apps for Android but perhaps not....
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22849 is a reply to message #22846] Sat, 22 August 2009 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 16:59

Up to this I've been thinking that for the mobile platform I will need to recode my apps for Android but perhaps not....

Obivously, Android as it stands now, is not very C++ friendly...

We can only hope that in the smartbook market, ubuntu will win. Or that they add native app support. Or maybe C++ -> Java bytecode compiler.

Mirek
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22850 is a reply to message #22849] Sat, 22 August 2009 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
But there seems to be a hope:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/android-goes -beyond-java-gains-native-cc-dev-kit.ars

Mirek
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22852 is a reply to message #22850] Sat, 22 August 2009 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

luzr wrote on Sat, 22 August 2009 11:36

But there seems to be a hope:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/android-goes -beyond-java-gains-native-cc-dev-kit.ars

Mirek

I think that the google aim is to integrate google chrome in Android. This mean that V8 Java script engine will integrate too (both written in c++).

Ion Lupascu (tojocky)
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22868 is a reply to message #20781] Mon, 24 August 2009 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I would still prefer ordinary stock Linux to catch up on those machines. Ubuntu would be almost perfect, especially if it would be well supported from device creators by good+early testing of new versions, so it would not break 1-2 years after original release.

That would mean you can customize the device from ground up. I think I would actually never use that option because of lack of time and enthusiasm to really *do* something, but having that option would make me much more confident and happy about such buy.
You never know when you will get "that great idea"(tm), how to use those mobile MHz of computing power, and it would be pity to be stop just by some stupid proprietary block (hello iPhone Razz), just because some companies don't have balls to let users do anything they wish.
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22869 is a reply to message #22868] Mon, 24 August 2009 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Mon, 24 August 2009 02:54

I would still prefer ordinary stock Linux to catch up on those machines. Ubuntu would be almost perfect.

That is two of us.

Me, I am getting ARM based smartbook with Ubunut as soon as one is available (and < $250 Smile

Mirek
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #22934 is a reply to message #22869] Sun, 30 August 2009 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember my pal running some distro of Linux on his Psion series 3 or 5 years ago (I imagine it was an early slackware). I'm sure you could hack the N900 or lots of other phones to run Ubuntu. The thing is that its really not worth it unless you can get access to things like the GPS and bluetooth etc.

Could Maemo (Nokia's newly adopted Linux phone OS) be easily paired with UPP?

http://maemo.org/

Nick
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #23672 is a reply to message #22934] Thu, 12 November 2009 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sevenjay is currently offline  sevenjay
I think it has a big chance to run AP made by UPP on Maemo.
"It uses an X Window System-based graphical user interface using Xomap and the Matchbox window manager; the GUI uses the GTK+ toolkit and Hildon user interface widgets and API."
by http://maemo.org/intro/
Re: What Smartphone to buy for UPP? [message #23714 is a reply to message #23672] Mon, 16 November 2009 19:05 Go to previous message
Yes, I am considering breaking my piggy-bank to buy a Nokia N900 (maemo) in the hope of being able to run UPP on it.

Nick
Previous Topic: Interesting....
Next Topic: Two Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:41:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01393 seconds