Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Navigator Bar Search results
Navigator Bar Search results [message #21182] Thu, 07 May 2009 13:32 Go to next message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
for example when I search for the function "StrInt", then in the first list only one entry does appear: "<globals>". I think this is unintuitive since without searching no "<globals>" exists there but only individual filenames. it would be nice to have (in addition to what is here now) such an entry there to browse all functions alphabetically instead on a per-file basis, and to make a search for them specifically. but it would be also nice to get as a search-result the actual file-name where that function was declared and where it was defined. isn't that what the navigator-bar is for anyway?

other than that I really am happy about the navigator-bar, it's the search-tool I always missed about the ide!
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21196 is a reply to message #21182] Fri, 08 May 2009 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
What U++ version? There is no <globals> recently.

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21269 is a reply to message #21196] Mon, 11 May 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
of course the svn-version right before that! Smile

I tried the new version (saturday-to-sunday google-svn), and unfortunately it doesn't write any "globals" (like for example the Upp::StrInt function) at all as search-results, but only as part of the file where they got defined. really not a good idea to disallow searching for something which can get displayed otherwise...

another critique on the new version is about the buttons: they take up too much space to put them in the same line as the text-box for the search, and they have absolutely no influence on the search. are there plans to change that? in general I would say that an intuitive search-interface does allow searching only within the displayed stuff (i.e. inside of the classes and files above the search-box), and one (at least I) would expect that everything which can be displayed by clicking on those is also considered in the search. as for the horizontal width of the search-text box, I am aware that one can resize this thing, it's just that the buttons should be made smaller and actually influence the search. just my own opinion...

a feature-request I also have: in the old version there were 3 search-boxes, so I got the idea that maybe one search-box could narrow down the search of the other search-box. i.e. I search for all classes with the name "vector", and then refine that search to find all push-methods in them. now with only a single search-box I propose a pin-down button to clear the search-text while leaving the search-results intact such that subsequent searches will only display the and-combined search (maybe with a tool-tip above the related button telling which words were searched for previously, and a pressed-down button indicating that this is a refined search)...
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21270 is a reply to message #21269] Mon, 11 May 2009 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 07:00

I tried the new version (saturday-to-sunday google-svn), and unfortunately it doesn't write any "globals" (like for example the Upp::StrInt function) at all as search-results, but only as part of the file where they got defined. really not a good idea to disallow searching for something which can get displayed otherwise...

Not quite sure what you mean. New navigator simply searches for anything you type there... File, class, method, function, variable...

Quote:

another critique on the new version is about the buttons: they take up too much space to put them in the same line as the

I guess I go spoiled by my new widescreen Smile

Maybe we can reduce the number of buttons?

Quote:

text-box for the search, and they have absolutely no influence on the search. are there plans to change that?

It definitely works for me. First four buttons narrow the search to current nest, current package, current file, last button sorts "scope" list alphabetically (normally, it is sorted in order of first appearance in .h file).

In any case, I can easily remove asteriks button (search all) - that can be done by deactivating rest of buttons.

Then of course there is question whether to remove "nest" or "package"? Or maybe "file"? (I am not using neither, but I have read that people at least like "file" button).

Quote:

resize this thing, it's just that the buttons should be made smaller and actually influence the search. just my own opinion...

If they do not, it is weird bug. It works for me...

Quote:

a feature-request I also have: in the old version there were 3 search-boxes, so I got the idea that maybe one search-box could narrow down the search of the other search-box. i.e. I search for all classes with the name "vector", and then refine that search to find all push-methods in them. now with only a single search-box I propose a pin-down button to clear the search-text while leaving the search-results intact such that subsequent searches will only display the and-combined search (maybe with a tool-tip above the related button telling which words were searched for previously, and a pressed-down button indicating that this is a refined search)...

Hm, looks like one cannot make everybody happy... I thought that single search field will be an advantage and step in the right direction Smile

I will think about it.

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21273 is a reply to message #21270] Mon, 11 May 2009 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

Then of course there is question whether to remove "nest" or "package"? Or maybe "file"? (I am not using neither, but I have read that people at least like "file" button).

"Package" and "File" are IMO the only useful ones and "Package" is almost always on and the search field rarely used. I prefer small packages and scrolling the list.

And while I often dive in deep in U++ sources, I still consider myself a client of the library so I wouldn't like my list filled with items from a larger scope than my project.

Which brings me to this question: would it be feasible to disable debugging for certain packages so that when I step through the method calls from those packages it treats them as if no debug info is available and doesn't jump into the assembly?

As for the other buttons, I can rarely afford using new SVN version for anything more than playing around, so I can't comment on the usability of the sorting button or others I don't have access too.
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21274 is a reply to message #21270] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

Hm, looks like one cannot make everybody happy... I thought that single search field will be an advantage and step in the right direction
I will think about it.

It was a step in right direction. What I would do it to "merge" those two parts of navigator bar and add special icon for files and packages. Methods should be prefixed with class ame if found more than one method from different classes.

As a fast fix I would move search field to the top.
PS: That's true - StrDbl can't be found.
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21275 is a reply to message #21274] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Of course names like AMap::Find can be long, so it could be displayed simply in two lines
AMap
Find(String s)

or things could be grouped:
AMap
  Find(String a)
  Find(String a, int p)
BMap
  Find(String a)
  Find(String a, int p)
CMap
  Find(String a)
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21276 is a reply to message #21273] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 07:34

Quote:

"Package" and "File" are IMO the only useful ones and "Package" is almost always on and the search field rarely used. I prefer small packages and scrolling the list.

And while I often dive in deep in U++ sources, I still consider myself a client of the library so I wouldn't like my list filled with items from a larger scope than my project.

But then you would need "nest" as well... (more packages in project).

Quote:

Which brings me to this question: would it be feasible to disable debugging for certain packages so that when I step through the method calls from those packages it treats them as if no debug info is available and doesn't jump into the assembly?

No problem, you can do it now. In Output mode.

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21277 is a reply to message #21274] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 08:08

Quote:

Hm, looks like one cannot make everybody happy... I thought that single search field will be an advantage and step in the right direction
I will think about it.

It was a step in right direction. What I would do it to "merge" those two parts of navigator bar and add special icon for files and packages. Methods should be prefixed with class ame if found more than one method from different classes.

But then you would not be able to e.g. display all methods in class....

Quote:

Well, this is a bug. Will look into it.

Mirek

PS: That's true - StrDbl can't be found.[/quote]
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21278 is a reply to message #21269] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 07:00

I tried the new version (saturday-to-sunday google-svn), and unfortunately it doesn't write any "globals" (like for example the Upp::StrInt function)

Bug to fix. I guess it spoils the impression Smile

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21279 is a reply to message #21276] Mon, 11 May 2009 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 15:16

But then you would need "nest" as well... (more packages in project).

Yes, and that would lead to current setup, wouldn't it? I have wide screen so I don't really care one way ot the other as long as package and file remain Smile. As for multiple packages, except for small changes, I found that it is best to do everything that comes to mind in one package and then start with the next. Also long compile times have thought me to write a lot of code and compile rarely.

Quote:

No problem, you can do it now. In Output mode.

I know. What I meant is without the assembly windows stepping through the code. I would like something that simulates the way I debug things. For example:
MyFunction("aaa" + s, UppFunction(MyFunctionAgain));

I would like to step into MyFunction and see the parameters and it's execution. But I have to step over String constructor, String concatenation, UppFunction. I could just put a breakpoint, but that would mean I can predict exactly what is going to happen which is generally not true when I'm debugging. I would like the debugger to step over all function calls from a given package, like Core. This could be simulated by causing a step into. If method is from excluded package, keep stepping over until execution would return to original file. I don't know if the level of control one has over MS debugger is enough to achieve this with relative ease.

Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21304 is a reply to message #21279] Tue, 12 May 2009 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I have tried to fix and finetune Navigator in rev. 1164.

Please check!

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21350 is a reply to message #21270] Thu, 14 May 2009 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
thanks, looks much better now!

luzr wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 13:10

I guess I go spoiled by my new widescreen Smile

Maybe we can reduce the number of buttons?
In any case, I can easily remove asteriks button (search all) - that can be done by deactivating rest of buttons.

and I didn't take into account that for others it might look different. I should have sent a screenshot. now I will just describe it since it isn't that urgent as previously: the buttons are obviously quadratic, and their size seems to depend on the font-size. when the font-size is much bigger than the icons within the buttons then it looks bad. so I propose that they shouldn't be quadratic and instead have a fixed horizontal size (width) which is large enough to contain the icons and some margin around them.the height can still stay the same though. for me now it is an icon of size less than half of the button-size, so there is a big margin around them. when the navigator-bar is already narrow, then the extra waste for that marging is a curse.

as for the buttons not affecting search, you are right that they work correctly, except that they don't work for globals! when I search for StrInt again then nothing gets displayed when pressing one of those buttons! I would have expected to get the filename displayed when I search in the current file (in addition to the classes) so that I can browse and search all functions of the current file. the same with nest and package.

as for my idea, my feature-request, I really didn't try to get back the old appearence. I just noticed that sometimes when the names for class-methods and -members are chosen in a way to provide some sort of abstract interface, then I would really like to search among all classes which fulfill that particular interface. I'm now not certain anymore if an additional button is really such a good idea, but fact is that if I need such a feature of searching for the appearence of multiple words, then I need that feature only for searching 2 words (i.e. 2 members which happen to be in the same class or a class with a certain name and a certain member, or maybe even a certain file-pattern containing a certain class/member). since the display is split vertically with class-names on the top and members below them, it is quite intuitive that a 2nd search would only affect everything written in the upper list. however, this feature-request isn't really that important, it's a rarely needed feature. so I guess if it would have to get implemented, then in a quite subtle way like for example a certain key-combination or some sort of hidden menu (like right-click menu) and such. also an idea for an entry to such a hidden menu would be to show there any wildcards or whatever supporting the search. so to summerize, now I imagine a right-click menu on the search-box which does offer inserting whatever wildcard supported there (for example * and ? or even regexp) and which further allows for performing a search within all the classes and files displayed in the upper list (i.e. the upper list will only lose entries while the lower list will show only the stuff from the 2nd search). maybe some colour-change of the text-field could indicate that this is the 2nd search...
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21352 is a reply to message #21274] Thu, 14 May 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 08:08

Quote:

I will think about it.

But that would likely mean two-line items, with a result that only a half of them would fit...

Quote:

PS: That's true - StrDbl can't be found.

Maybe more logical is bottom?

Top is OK, but I am afraid that sort button will get quite detached from the view it affects..

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21583 is a reply to message #21352] Thu, 28 May 2009 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
yesterday the navigator-bar didn't work anymore, only the search worked. is that intentional? with empty search nothing gets listed in the lower window at all!

and I am very happy with the new appearence. the buttons look good, and the position on the top really isn't that bad. as for sorting, I see this button as affecting both lists, so it doesn't matter where it is.
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21597 is a reply to message #21583] Thu, 28 May 2009 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

piotr5 wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 14:18

yesterday the navigator-bar didn't work anymore, only the search worked. is that intentional? with empty search nothing gets listed in the lower window at all!

and I am very happy with the new appearence. the buttons look good, and the position on the top really isn't that bad. as for sorting, I see this button as affecting both lists, so it doesn't matter where it is.

The last win32 builded release from google code I installed too. And do not work navigator-bar in class details!
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21610 is a reply to message #21583] Fri, 29 May 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 07:18

as for sorting, I see this button as affecting both lists, so it doesn't matter where it is.

Actually, top list is always sorted....

Mirek
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21626 is a reply to message #21610] Sat, 30 May 2009 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

luzr wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 12:38

piotr5 wrote on Thu, 28 May 2009 07:18

as for sorting, I see this button as affecting both lists, so it doesn't matter where it is.

Actually, top list is always sorted....

Mirek

Hello Mirek,

I builded latest svn release 1247 and i see that in navigator-bar do not show methods and properties of current class.
index.php?t=getfile&id=1759&private=0
Is any mistake or you still working on this?

• Attachment: upp_bug.PNG
    (Size: 35.85KB, Downloaded 602 times)
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21651 is a reply to message #21610] Sun, 31 May 2009 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Thank you Mirek for correct view method and properties of class in navigator-bar.

For new users and for us if we will forgot what mean icons in navigator-bar I propouse to add event when mouse over on icon then tooltip what mean this icon. for example:
index.php?t=getfile&id=1761&private=0

Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21709 is a reply to message #21651] Mon, 01 June 2009 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I agree with tojocky: showing tooltip here will be good solution.
Previous Topic: low TheIDE's Console buffer/export to file
Next Topic: A few suggestions about CodeEditor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:50:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00940 seconds