FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Gentoo ebuild for Upp
Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #21343] Thu, 14 May 2009 00:32 Go to next message
phirox is currently offline  phirox
The new method of releasing src packages makes it a lot easier to quickly install a numbered package. I use gentoo and made an ebuild as this makes upgrading really easy.

Download the ebuild and place it in your local repository under "dev-cpp/upp". You will also need to run a digest over it before emerging.

Perhaps later, if there is any interest, I will add it to a layman overlay.
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26386 is a reply to message #21343] Thu, 29 April 2010 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a small update, to emerge the latest stable. For the lazy:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp/
cp upp-2467.ebuild /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp/
ebuild /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp/upp-2467.ebuild digest
emerge -av upp

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 09:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26387 is a reply to message #26386] Thu, 29 April 2010 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Phirox!

I don't use gentoo and I don't even know how many people from within U++ community does use it. But since I'm maintaining the ubuntu packages, I can appreciate your effort.

Now, looking on the ebuild, it looks like it doesn't need to be changed between releases, right? If so, it would be nice if it could be placed into svn and linked from the download page, together with instructions how to use it.

I guess there could be also a nightly ebuild, just changing the source address to:
SRC_URI="http://upp-mirror.googlecode.com/files/upp-x11-src-${PV}.tar.gz"
Is that correct?

Best regards,
Honza

PS: I believe that the line
rm -rf ${D}/usr/share/upp/uppsrc/_out
is not necessary. Theide should determine the object files need to be rebuilt or not.
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26447 is a reply to message #26387] Mon, 03 May 2010 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a nightly build you can indeed use that line. Normally in gentoo you would make a upp-9999.ebuild, with keywords for instable systems(e.g. ~x86) and use a generic download link, e.g.: upp-latest.tar.gz

Of course there is also a way to make it work directly with a VCS if you really want it.

As per your advice, I removed the rm line. Also changed keywords, so it associates with gentoo stable(forgot that one). I've uploaded this new ebuild into my previous post.
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26454 is a reply to message #26447] Tue, 04 May 2010 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Phirox,
thank you for explanation. I'll try to put a link & instructions on Download page when I get a little bit time Wink

Just one thing: I'm not 100% sure but i think we don't have any generic download link for google code files. Do you know any workaround to this?

Honza
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26474 is a reply to message #21343] Wed, 05 May 2010 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I just went ahead and made the subversion style version of upp ebuild. It will automatically checkout/update from the upp-mirror svn, and generate the Makefile using theide(umk). So you cannot emerge this package without already first having a working installation.
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26477 is a reply to message #26474] Thu, 06 May 2010 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Phirox,
Very nice!

The dependency on previous installation of theide can be overcome. There is a generic Makefile, that can build any U++ project. For this purpose the usage would be something like
make -f uppbox/lpbuild/Makefile PKG=ide "FLAGS=GUI MT GCC SHARED" DIRS=uppsrc
Would that work?

Honza
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26482 is a reply to message #26477] Thu, 06 May 2010 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 02:36

Hi Phirox,
Very nice!

The dependency on previous installation of theide can be overcome. There is a generic Makefile, that can build any U++ project. For this purpose the usage would be something like
Would that work?

Honza

I give my 2 cents since I use Gentoo as well...

Yes it would work perfectly with this Makefile, but the question is how to make it available to the ebuild. I think the best solution is to add it to the files/ subdirectory of the ebuild directory, and copy it in the right place at the end of the unpack step.

phirox, what do you think about it ?

Lionel
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26486 is a reply to message #21343] Thu, 06 May 2010 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The dependency on previous installation of theide can be overcome. There is a generic Makefile, that can build any U++ project.

I didn't know there was an official Makefile now, very very cool.

Quote:

Yes it would work perfectly with this Makefile, but the question is how to make it available to the ebuild. I think the best solution is to add it to the files/ subdirectory of the ebuild directory, and copy it in the right place at the end of the unpack step.

The ebuild already gets the whole trunk, including the uppbox directory which contains the above Makefile. Check the new ebuild to see how I did it.

I also renamed the ebuild to upp-svn, because personally I find it useful to have both a stable and development version installed at the same time. Conflicts are resolved by using 'theide-svn' and '/usr/share/upp-svn'.

And again, for the lazy:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp-svn/
cp upp-svn-9999.ebuild /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp-svn/
ebuild /usr/local/portage/dev-cpp/upp-svn/upp-svn-9999.ebuild digest
emerge -av upp-svn
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26488 is a reply to message #26482] Thu, 06 May 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

chickenk wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 09:44

dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 02:36

Hi Phirox,
Very nice!

Would that work?

Honza

I give my 2 cents since I use Gentoo as well...

Lionel

Hi Lionel,
As far as I can tell without testing, it should be available as soon as you checkout the svn. The above command (with "emake" instead of "make") should work just fine, assuming that it is executed in the top level directory of checked out sources.

Honza
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26489 is a reply to message #26486] Thu, 06 May 2010 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
phirox wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 13:29

The ebuild already gets the whole trunk, including the uppbox directory which contains the above Makefile. Check the new ebuild to see how I did it.

Damn! The whole trunk? Isn't that a huge overhead? I would personally tend to checkout only bazaar, examples, reference, tutorial and uppsrc. But in that case, the Makefile could be checked-out as a single file as well, I did not notice it was under svn now.
Quote:

I also renamed the ebuild to upp-svn, because personally I find it useful to have both a stable and development version installed at the same time. Conflicts are resolved by using 'theide-svn' and '/usr/share/upp-svn'.

Very good idea. I also like to have my 'theide-svn' executable.

Lionel
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26491 is a reply to message #26489] Thu, 06 May 2010 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

chickenk wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 13:58

Damn! The whole trunk? Isn't that a huge overhead? I would personally tend to checkout only bazaar, examples, reference, tutorial and uppsrc. But in that case, the Makefile could be checked-out as a single file as well, I did not notice it was under svn now.
Quote:

Very good idea. I also like to have my 'theide-svn' executable.

Lionel

You are right, selective checkout is a good idea. It takes quite some time (especially on slow connections) and space to checkout whole trunk. I'm just not sure how to do that in ebuild, but I hope one of you can figure it out Wink

I used to have two versions of theide as well. But the U++ is so stable now, that I stopped feeling the need for "stable" version Smile

Honza
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26493 is a reply to message #26486] Thu, 06 May 2010 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I didn't know there was an official Makefile now, very very cool.

It is not official Wink I use it to make ubuntu packages, to overcome some troubles with theide-generated makefiles (like double linking zlib on linux).

Honza

PS: Sorry for answering in wrong order, I overlooked you post Phirox Rolling Eyes
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26498 is a reply to message #26491] Thu, 06 May 2010 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You are right, selective checkout is a good idea. It takes quite some time (especially on slow connections) and space to checkout whole trunk. I'm just not sure how to do that in ebuild, but I hope one of you can figure it out Wink

I used to have two versions of theide as well. But the U++ is so stable now, that I stopped feeling the need for "stable" version Smile

Honza

emerge is smart enough to update, so you only checkout once. Still it couldn't hurt to limit it, I will change it later.

I've been bitten before by development versions, so its always nice to have a fallback Smile

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting the ebuild commited to the sunrise layout, so it will be much easier to emerge and maintain. This will take some time though.
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #26499 is a reply to message #26498] Thu, 06 May 2010 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

phirox wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 17:55

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting the ebuild commited to the sunrise layout, so it will be much easier to emerge and maintain. This will take some time though.

Great! Getting U++ into distributions or at least community driven repositories is great advertisement.

Honza
Re: Gentoo ebuild for Upp [message #29191 is a reply to message #26498] Sat, 09 October 2010 14:57 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
phirox wrote on Thu, 06 May 2010 17:55

Hi phirox,

any news about sunrise integration? Do you have a version of the live ebuild (9999) that makes use of the generic Makefile ?

Thanks in advance,
Lionel
Previous Topic: Stable releases interval
Next Topic: Packages for openSUSE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:22:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02007 seconds