Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Sad...
Re: Sad... [message #21664 is a reply to message #21663] Sun, 31 May 2009 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
And how do you think a new user will select several examples without using the select package dialog? And if you enter TheIDE without selecting a package, it will be completely useless.

It's not like you can just open a .cpp file and compile it. TheIDE is designed to only handle packages. And if by some configuration options it can handle traditional building scheme, I propose we remove it.

We could add a hideable help panel to the select package dialog.
Re: Sad... [message #21665 is a reply to message #21664] Sun, 31 May 2009 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
cbpporter wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 01:22

And how do you think a new user will select several examples without using the select package dialog? And if you enter TheIDE without selecting a package, it will be completely useless.

It's not like you can just open a .cpp file and compile it. TheIDE is designed to only handle packages. And if by some configuration options it can handle traditional building scheme, I propose we remove it.

We could add a hideable help panel to the select package dialog.

I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall.

I'm well aware that theIDE has to always have a package selected. I'm also well aware that the select main package dialog is used to open a package - I even wrote the help about it (packages, assemblies and nests).

As I already said, if the select main package dialog is optional at startup, the last active package would be selected, or for brand new installations, a "hello world" example package. Newbies would have to head immediately for the "help" and hopefully find a "quick start" topic rather than being presented with a heterogeneous disorganized collection of help topics and not knowing where to start.

Graeme

[Updated on: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sad... [message #21666 is a reply to message #21665] Sun, 31 May 2009 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uncodelite is currently offline  uncodelite
Promising Member
I think when I first use TheIDE, the most concern is how to create a new project, how to add an exist cpp file to the project, and how to set the extra include path, libraries path, etc.

On the first time user use TheIDE, I think open "Getting started with TheIDE" or " http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$CtrlLib$Tutorial$en-us.html" maybe helpful.
Re: Sad... [message #21684 is a reply to message #21666] Mon, 01 June 2009 02:27 Go to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
uncodelite wrote on Mon, 01 June 2009 03:04

I think when I first use TheIDE, the most concern is how to create a new project, how to add an exist cpp file to the project, and how to set the extra include path, libraries path, etc.

On the first time user use TheIDE, I think open "Getting started with TheIDE" or " http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$CtrlLib$Tutorial$en-us.html" maybe helpful.

That's a good idea - maybe a new "quick start" topic. It would keep opening at startup until the user explicitly closed it. The select main package dialog still needs a hide-able help window though.

Graeme
Previous Topic: Some Chinese U++ tutorial
Next Topic: Unexpected
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:58:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01226 seconds