Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Auto-completion for external headers
Auto-completion for external headers [message #21623] Sat, 30 May 2009 02:52 Go to next message
idaho is currently offline  idaho
Promising Member

Hi, folks,

Perhaps, someone has already asked this question but I couldn't find a solution - if there is one. Is it possible to auto-complete symbols from OS-specific headers, like <windows.h>, e.g? Not a big issue, of course, but it would certainly come handy at times.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Auto-completion for external headers [message #21710 is a reply to message #21623] Mon, 01 June 2009 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
idaho wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 20:52

Hi, folks,

Perhaps, someone has already asked this question but I couldn't find a solution - if there is one.

Under development.

The problem is that external headers are usually macro-heavy and macros cause big problems if you want to be fast.

Anyway, it is coming. I hope it will be working at the end of year, hopefully much sooner.

Mirek
Re: Auto-completion for external headers [message #21907 is a reply to message #21710] Wed, 10 June 2009 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Actually there is a workaround. You can create a package based the library you want to use and with a little luck it will work fine. It can be a dummy package (i.e. only headers).
Re: Auto-completion for external headers [message #21940 is a reply to message #21907] Thu, 11 June 2009 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 10 June 2009 05:10

Actually there is a workaround. You can create a package based the library you want to use and with a little luck it will work fine. It can be a dummy package (i.e. only headers).

Thats true and it is also true that in one point in the past, I was experimenting with "automatic external header package".

Anyway, all of that failed, because system headers are usually extremely full of macros -> results of parsing were nil.

That is why I believe we must deal with macros first, then do external headers.

Mirek
Re: Auto-completion for external headers [message #21950 is a reply to message #21940] Thu, 11 June 2009 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Couldn't we have in the first phase a weak preprocessor that only preprocesses external headers in order to determine the program structure and without these macros affecting .cpp files? I mean preprocess <stdio.h> and all it's includes, parse once that file to determine what functions it contains, cache and make that list available to .cpp files without actually having those macros effect the way Assiste++ sees out .cpp files? This implementation would be much easier.
Re: Auto-completion for external headers [message #21952 is a reply to message #21950] Thu, 11 June 2009 23:45 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 11 June 2009 17:34

Couldn't we have in the first phase a weak preprocessor that only preprocesses external headers in order to determine the program structure and without these macros affecting .cpp files? I mean preprocess <stdio.h> and all it's includes, parse once that file to determine what functions it contains, cache and make that list available to .cpp files without actually having those macros effect the way Assiste++ sees out .cpp files? This implementation would be much easier.

I think I will go "full solution"...

Mirek
Previous Topic: A few suggestions about CodeEditor
Next Topic: Handling of namespaces in Navigator and code analyzer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:57:18 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03817 seconds