Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Create Makefile behaviour
Create Makefile behaviour [message #21841] Mon, 08 June 2009 10:10 Go to next message
janwilmans is currently offline  janwilmans

Hi U++ community Smile

I recently started using the 'create makefile' feature and noticed this behaviour:

- for DLL packages, the generated makefile complains that 'main' cannot be found (which is reasonable, because the DLL package has no main) is this feature not suppose to be used on DLL packages?

- the generated makefile contains a hardcoded path, the $(UPPDIR1) directory ex. points to /home/jan/src/myproject/ this means, the Makefile will 'break' as soon as the physical location changes, that does not make it very usefull.

- on Darwin (MacOs) the -Wl,-O,2 and --start-group parameters are not available?? so builds on darwin fail...

(if I edit out the -Wl,-O,2 and start-group/end-group parameters, it builds fine.)

I would like to see the 'Create Makefile' feature become more useful, any thoughts?

Greetings,

Jan Wilmans

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #21937 is a reply to message #21841] Thu, 11 June 2009 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
skyhawk wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 04:10

Hi U++ community Smile

I recently started using the 'create makefile' feature and noticed this behaviour:

- for DLL packages, the generated makefile complains that 'main' cannot be found (which is reasonable, because the DLL package has no main) is this feature not suppose to be used on DLL packages?

- the generated makefile contains a hardcoded path, the $(UPPDIR1) directory ex. points to /home/jan/src/myproject/ this means, the Makefile will 'break' as soon as the physical location changes, that does not make it very usefull.

- on Darwin (MacOs) the -Wl,-O,2 and --start-group parameters are not available?? so builds on darwin fail...

(if I edit out the -Wl,-O,2 and start-group/end-group parameters, it builds fine.)

I would like to see the 'Create Makefile' feature become more useful, any thoughts?

Greetings,

Jan Wilmans

Well, "create makefile" is deprecated in favor of "export project", which has much better results w.r.t. paths and other things (BTW, the src package is using this variant).

As for DLL, I guess you are the first one trying Wink I would need more details I guess... (e.g. based on fact that rest of your posts deals with Ubuntu, is that really .dll or in fact it is .so?)

Mirek
Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #22052 is a reply to message #21937] Mon, 15 June 2009 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
janwilmans is currently offline  janwilmans

where is that option? (export project) I only see a 'export runtume translation file'

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #22054 is a reply to message #22052] Mon, 15 June 2009 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
skyhawk wrote on Mon, 15 June 2009 11:57

where is that option? (export project) I only see a 'export runtume translation file'

Gr,

Jan

In Output mode.

Mirek
Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #32162 is a reply to message #22054] Thu, 28 April 2011 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

BTW, is it possible to use incremental build with exported project? As for now, executing "make" leads to total rebuild.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 19:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #32163 is a reply to message #32162] Thu, 28 April 2011 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 19:38

BTW, is it possible to use incremental build with exported project? As for now, executing "make" leads to total rebuild.

Hi Pavel,

First time you execute make it rebuilds everything, but if you change some of the sources later and call make again, only the changed sources (and files depending on them) are rebuild. If it behaves differently for you than there is something broken Smile

Honza
Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #32164 is a reply to message #32163] Thu, 28 April 2011 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 22:53

First time you execute make it rebuilds everything, but if you change some of the sources later and call make again, only the changed sources (and files depending on them) are rebuild. If it behaves differently for you than there is something broken Smile

I'm building under FreeBSD 8.1 with g++46.
What could possibly be broken? Is there a way to check what is broken exactly? Googling on this topic didn't help.
Thanks in forward.

UPDATE: It looks like I've found the cause. In Makefile I manually change CXX from "c++" to "g++46". Building with "c++" is incremental, while Makefile with "g++46" rebuilds from the scratch. Investigation continues...

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 21:13]

Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #32165 is a reply to message #32164] Thu, 28 April 2011 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Thu, 28 April 2011 21:09

UPDATE: It looks like I've found the cause. In Makefile I manually change CXX from "c++" to "g++46". Building with "c++" is incremental, while Makefile with "g++46" rebuilds from the scratch. Investigation continues...

and what do the commands "make CXX=g++46" and "CXX=g++46 make" give with the original Makefile? Maybe also try with 'gmake' instead of 'make' to verify GNUisms...

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2011 21:24]

Re: Create Makefile behaviour [message #32166 is a reply to message #32165] Thu, 28 April 2011 21:35 Go to previous message
Experienced Contributor

Issue solved.
It just needs to adjust make.conf file and remove "CXX=c++" from Makefile.
Previous Topic: PROPOSAL: "MyClass + MyClassTest" Template in TheIDE
Next Topic: Problem Launching stable IDE on OpenBSD 4.8-stable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:05:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01127 seconds