Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » mingw?
Re: mingw? [message #22186 is a reply to message #22163] Tue, 23 June 2009 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

koldo wrote on Sun, 21 June 2009 16:35

Hello Speed Ghost

Then I have recompiled TheIde changing this:
	if(HasFlag("SSE2"))
		cc << " -msse2";// -mfpmath=sse";

and:
Main Pack. Conf.  Compiler Opt         Test time  Problems? 
- GUI SSE2	  No option            2.4 sec    Crash

and I have recompiled again with:
	if(HasFlag("SSE2"))
		cc << " ";//-msse2";// -mfpmath=sse";

and:
Main Pack. Conf.  Compiler Opt         Test time  Problems? 
- GUI SSE2	  No option            9.5 sec    Ok

Best regards
Koldo

Koldo,

I thing that is need to set a final source version and propuse for change in svn.
Use as flag I do not thing that it is a good idea. But use in compile options is more transparent.
I thing that it should change Automatic setup (maybe it for win32 only ) for speed option set this command.
for mingw
-msse2 -mfpmath=sse

[Updated on: Tue, 23 June 2009 15:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: mingw? [message #22188 is a reply to message #22186] Tue, 23 June 2009 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Ion

Excuse me, I do not understand you very well Sad

After the tests I compile in "GUI" (not in "GUI SSE2") and for the end source if SSE2 code is included I include compiler options "-msse2 -mfpmath=sse" and "/arch:sse2".

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: mingw? [message #22204 is a reply to message #21939] Wed, 24 June 2009 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Breaking news

Yesterday MinGW released Gcc 4.4.0 Smile

Announcement: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=969885

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: mingw? [message #22209 is a reply to message #22188] Wed, 24 June 2009 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Sorry Koldo,

I understood wrong.
The problem is not in u++ but in MinGW TDM 4.4.0?
Right?

I tested for me with old MinGW and have not errors.

koldo wrote on Tue, 23 June 2009 16:55

Hello Ion

After the tests I compile in "GUI" (not in "GUI SSE2") and for the end source if SSE2 code is included I include compiler options "-msse2 -mfpmath=sse" and "/arch:sse2".

Best regards
Koldo

Re: mingw? [message #22210 is a reply to message #22204] Wed, 24 June 2009 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptDev is currently offline  ptDev
Promising Member
koldo wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 11:32

Breaking news

Yesterday MinGW released Gcc 4.4.0 Smile

Announcement: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=969885

Best regards
Koldo

Tried it, seems to work fine: it has a big difference with respect to the TDM builds. It uses Dwarf2 for exceptions. Of course, this means one DLL dependency (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll), regardless of how simple your program is.
Re: mingw? [message #22212 is a reply to message #22209] Wed, 24 June 2009 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
tojocky wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 14:19

Sorry Koldo,

I understood wrong.
The problem is not in u++ but in MinGW TDM 4.4.0?
Right?

I tested for me with old MinGW and have not errors.

koldo wrote on Tue, 23 June 2009 16:55

Hello Ion

Best regards
Koldo

Hello Ion

Perhaps yes. It is most probable that the problem is in MinGW as MSC and Gcc (Linux) work.

But perhaps there is in Upp MinGW-Gcc 3 specific code for Windows version that does not work well in version 4.

In fact the benchmark program I have used works the best with MinGW-Gcc 4.4 so not only does not have problems with MinGW, but it gets the maximum optimization, so:

Quote:

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: mingw? [message #22257 is a reply to message #22210] Sun, 28 June 2009 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

ptDev wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 16:45

It uses Dwarf2 for exceptions. Of course, this means one DLL dependency (libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll), regardless of how simple your program is.

I wonder if additional dll dependency is worth using debugging format which AFAIK U++ doesn`t support? And I`d answer "no".
Re: mingw? [message #22259 is a reply to message #22257] Sun, 28 June 2009 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptDev is currently offline  ptDev
Promising Member
It's true, and I found this annoying too. Especially considering it's just a 44kb dll.

However, if one uses the '-static-libgcc' option, the dependency is removed. This is something to keep in mind.
Re: mingw? [message #22699 is a reply to message #22259] Thu, 06 August 2009 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello

ptDev wrote on Sun, 28 June 2009 09:50

It's true, and I found this annoying too. Especially considering it's just a 44kb dll.

However, if one uses the '-static-libgcc' option, the dependency is removed. This is something to keep in mind.

Perhaps we would have to propose Theide developers to include this in source code.

A possible implementation could be in file GccBuilder.cpp, line 130, adding this:

if(HasFlag("WIN32")) {
		cc << " -static-libgcc";

I have compiled Theide with this change and I have debugged programs with MinGW 4.4.0 and without libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll without problems.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: mingw? [message #22710 is a reply to message #22699] Fri, 07 August 2009 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello all,

I have some experience using simd instructions. On PPC if the data used int SIMD instructions are not aligned ==> crash.
I think it's the same on intel architectures.

Depending on the object creation order for example, on build can work and another crash without having modified any functionnal code.

This is probably one cause of problem.

Re: mingw? [message #22713 is a reply to message #22710] Fri, 07 August 2009 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

I often use MINGW. Moreover, MINGW I have, some old version that was included with the UPP. When I was downloading update UPP (for Linux), - I Replace folder uppsrc of wine, - and it works.

By the way - the generation of Win applications under wine, in my opinion, better guarantees against viruses in the final assembly of windows applications.

That is why - I really want to branch MINGW developed, supported and discussed.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: mingw? [message #22714 is a reply to message #22713] Fri, 07 August 2009 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
2 points !

I vote for MINGW for the same reason: 'windows build' under linux using wine ( very pratcical) Smile .

Re: mingw? [message #22717 is a reply to message #22714] Sat, 08 August 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kasome is currently offline  kasome
As the previous two.
I also want Mingw can be supported.
Re: mingw? [message #22718 is a reply to message #22699] Sat, 08 August 2009 14:19 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Thu, 06 August 2009 03:57

Hello

ptDev wrote on Sun, 28 June 2009 09:50

Perhaps we would have to propose Theide developers to include this in source code.

A possible implementation could be in file GccBuilder.cpp, line 130, adding this:

if(HasFlag("WIN32")) {
		cc << " -static-libgcc";

I have compiled Theide with this change and I have debugged programs with MinGW 4.4.0 and without libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll without problems.

Best regards
Koldo

I think it should work via build method too, correct? (In that case, I can make it part of mingw autosetup).

Mirek
Previous Topic: Releases
Next Topic: Regular releases reactivated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:54:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02007 seconds