FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Constructive Ctiticism
Constructive Ctiticism [message #22704] Thu, 06 August 2009 17:09 Go to next message
pveach1 is currently offline  pveach1
Promising Member
I have been playing with Upp for a few weeks now and have formed some opinions which I would like to share.

theIDE does not compile the file in the editor. It just says it does. It should compile the file in the editor whether it is in a nest or not. Note that this does not require tracking whether the file is "Dirty" or not. Pressing a compile button should "force" a compile of that file reguardless of its state.

On another subject, I have been trying to get some special effects into my program. Currently I am using Win32 API directly to implement animations and transparency. It occured to me that most C++ libraries just implement (re-implement) the same basic controls. It would be nice if U++ had an FX (Special Effects) package that dealt with these issues rather than each of us "Rolling our own" FX package. This would make it easier to implement Animated or Skinned controls like toasters, layered and masked windows, etc.

U++ already has strong GUI support, a good FX package with Advanced Controls would give it Superior GUI support.

Overall a great effort, Ultimate++ developers deserve an A++.

Re: Constructive Ctiticism [message #22705 is a reply to message #22704] Thu, 06 August 2009 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
pveach1 wrote on Thu, 06 August 2009 11:09

I have been playing with Upp for a few weeks now and have formed some opinions which I would like to share.

theIDE does not compile the file in the editor. It just says it does. It should compile the file in the editor whether it is in a nest or not. Note that this does not require tracking whether the file is "Dirty" or not. Pressing a compile button should "force" a compile of that file reguardless of its state.

Just to make it sure, is the problem that the file is not in the "project"?

Mirek
Re: Constructive Ctiticism [message #22706 is a reply to message #22704] Thu, 06 August 2009 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello pveach1

Do you have an example of this ?

Animated or Skinned controls like toasters, layered and masked windows, etc

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Constructive Ctiticism [message #22711 is a reply to message #22705] Fri, 07 August 2009 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Luzr,
Correct. It's from a VS2008 project. I'm not clear how to make a nest/package for it and I don't want to maintain two different source files. What I'd like to do is, compile and link this file without having to continually do a "Build All".
My main complaint is that the compile button says Press Ctrl+F7 to compile file then it does not compile the file. (I know because I put errors in it and it didn't choke.)

This may be because the file I am compiling is a header file blah.h. Now that I think of it, VS2008 doesn't compile plain stand alone header files either.

Re: Constructive Ctiticism [message #22712 is a reply to message #22706] Fri, 07 August 2009 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
koldo,

I have a win32 api based toaster window (animates up, then disappears, animates down), it has alpha channel based tranlucency.
But the best example of what I'd like is the Dojo wijits and Dojox. The Accordion Pane, Fisheye, drop down calendar
It seems a shame that there are better widgets for Internet browsers than for desktop applications.

Cheers
Re: Constructive Ctiticism [message #22716 is a reply to message #22711] Sat, 08 August 2009 11:12 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
pveach1 wrote on Fri, 07 August 2009 16:27

Luzr,
Correct. It's from a VS2008 project. I'm not clear how to make a nest/package for it and I don't want to maintain two different source files. What I'd like to do is, compile and link this file without having to continually do a "Build All".
My main complaint is that the compile button says Press Ctrl+F7 to compile file then it does not compile the file. (I know because I put errors in it and it didn't choke.)

This may be because the file I am compiling is a header file blah.h. Now that I think of it, VS2008 doesn't compile plain stand alone header files either.

What do expect as result of such compile? Executable or just error-check? Is result supposed to be console or gui app or dll?

There is sort of problem with this as all info about target and kind of compilation is always stored in the main package..

Mirek
Previous Topic: Google Chrome Operative System
Next Topic: Win 7 and TheIDE recompile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:41:29 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01292 seconds