Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » I have problems with UNIX vs DOS line endings.
I have problems with UNIX vs DOS line endings. [message #22949] Wed, 02 September 2009 09:04 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
For some months I figured out that line endings do change according to where I edit the text file, if I edit in Kubuntu, I get the file converted wholly to unix-like endlines, if I edit it later in WinXP, I get it converted back to DOS-like endlines.

While this doesn't pose any problem to the file usage, it confuses KSVN (SVN GUI I use in Kubuntu). I would prefer TheIDE to read the newline type from opened file, and stick to it (unless it has mixed line-endings, then it's IMHO fine to automatically convert it to current native one.
It's just very minor annoyance, because I can use unix2dos and dos2unix to convert it back, but still having this "fixed" would save me couple of seconds daily.
Re: I have problems with UNIX vs DOS line endings. [message #22951 is a reply to message #22949] Wed, 02 September 2009 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Ped

I use almost daily in parallel the same packages in Ubuntu (Gnome) and in WinXP, always UTF8 encoded, and I have no problems with line endings.

Going to the extreme: I have compiled under WinXP the same package at the same time in Portable Ubuntu (GNU/Linux Ubuntu 8.04 emulator) and in WinXP (Very Happy) without any problem.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: I have problems with UNIX vs DOS line endings. [message #22952 is a reply to message #22949] Wed, 02 September 2009 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
There's no problem to compile them (actually those are .php files so they are not compiling anyway, but apache+php5 parses them easily and everything works as expected).

The problem is the the file gets converted when I edit it.
I.e. I take test.php with 2 lines from DOS with DOS-like "\r\n", write third line under linux, and the line endings in whole get converted to UNIX-like "\n".

Actually I do think the SVN itself does not care about that (but I didn't check manual), but the KSVN shows me the files as different.
Re: I have problems with UNIX vs DOS line endings. [message #22953 is a reply to message #22952] Wed, 02 September 2009 14:23 Go to previous message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi,

SVN itself does not know about the meaning of line endings, but of course it cares about file differences (which it should I suppose).

I also have the same problem as Ped when working with version control. If I modify a checked out file that has DOS line endings in Unix with TheIDE all line endings are converted to Unix line endings. As a consequence when I make a diff of my modified version and the original one, all lines are marked modified which is not practical since I only want to see (and also check in my modifications).

Matthias
Previous Topic: Toggle code editor fullscreen/restore
Next Topic: Back in HelpWindow crashes the application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:23:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01540 seconds