Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Callbacks and Timers » Problem with non-blocking mode
Problem with non-blocking mode [message #23493] Fri, 23 October 2009 11:02 Go to next message
Weras is currently offline  Weras
Hi!

I have a problem with sockets, namely, a non-blocking mode. I must say that until that moment I had never worked with sockets and my
question may seem silly.
In my project, I repeated the tutorial from the Help Topics "Connection-Oriented Socket Tutorial"

Function accept_socket.Accept (data_socket, & ip_addr)
suspends the entire program, so I point out that the socket nonblocking:
        Socket::Init();

if( !ServerSocket(accept_socket, portInfo.portNumber) )
		throw Exc("Couldn't bind socket on the local port.");

if( accept_socket.IsOpen() )
	{
		dword ip_addr;
		accept_socket.Block(false);
                accept_socket.Peek();

if( !accept_socket.IsError() && accept_socket.Accept(data_socket, &ip_addr) )
		{
			Cout() << "Connection from " << FormatIP(ip_addr) << "\n";

while(data_socket.IsOpen() && !data_socket.IsEof() && !data_socket.IsError())
				Cout() << data_socket.Read();
		}
	}

But the program still awaits all perform the function Accept. What I missed or am doing wrong?

Also I read that non-blocking socket's have callback when connection started(or something like that). Could you give examples code using this opportunity socket?

P.S.
Sorry my english )

[Updated on: Fri, 23 October 2009 14:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with non-blocking mode [message #23505 is a reply to message #23493] Sat, 24 October 2009 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Weras wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 05:02

Hi!

I have a problem with sockets, namely, a non-blocking mode. I must say that until that moment I had never worked with sockets and my
question may seem silly.
In my project, I repeated the tutorial from the Help Topics "Connection-Oriented Socket Tutorial"

Function accept_socket.Accept (data_socket, & ip_addr)
suspends the entire program, so I point out that the socket nonblocking:
        Socket::Init();

if( !ServerSocket(accept_socket, portInfo.portNumber) )
		throw Exc("Couldn't bind socket on the local port.");

if( accept_socket.IsOpen() )
	{
		dword ip_addr;
		accept_socket.Block(false);
                accept_socket.Peek();

if( !accept_socket.IsError() && accept_socket.Accept(data_socket, &ip_addr) )
		{
			Cout() << "Connection from " << FormatIP(ip_addr) << "\n";

while(data_socket.IsOpen() && !data_socket.IsEof() && !data_socket.IsError())
				Cout() << data_socket.Read();
		}
	}

But the program still awaits all perform the function Accept. What I missed or am doing wrong?

Also I read that non-blocking socket's have callback when connection started(or something like that). Could you give examples code using this opportunity socket?

P.S.
Sorry my english )

I belive: Call Peek and only do Accept if it returns true.

Or you can sepcify timeout in Accept (e.g. to zero).

(I belive you in fact do not need non-blocking sockets in that case, but I might be wrong).

Mirek
Re: Problem with non-blocking mode [message #23507 is a reply to message #23505] Sat, 24 October 2009 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weras is currently offline  Weras
Well, i see.

Yes, in that case i exactly need non-blocked socket. As i know, there are some callback function in non-block mode. Something about a special thread for a non-block sockets. Is it true? If yes, can you show me example of using this socket's feature please?

Dmitry.
Re: Problem with non-blocking mode [message #23515 is a reply to message #23507] Mon, 26 October 2009 00:22 Go to previous message
rylek is currently offline  rylek
Hello there!

As far as I know, in principle there are two basically different ways to make a socket communication run in background. One is to make the sockets non-blocking, the other to run the socket management in a different thread. Moreover, under Windows, the WSA socket management functions let you bind certain socket operation notifications to the message loop and so to avoid polling and emulate the worker thread behaviour in a single-threaded application.

The current socket wrapper in U++ doesn't support this option, mainly because it requires low-level interception of the message queue which would either have to be built into the U++ core (which would be ugly) or would require lots of low-level hackery; moreover it's available in Windows only, Linux has no similar functionality, which makes usability of such feature very limited in a cross-platform environment like U++.

Normally when you open a nonblocking server socket (using the 5-th "is_blocking" argument of the ServerSocket function), calls to Accept fail during the initial client-server handshake and you can use Peek on the server socket to check for pending client connections.

Regards

Tomas
Previous Topic: Possible improvements to U++ callbacks
Next Topic: mini BUGFIX in CallbackArgTarget
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:03:56 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04016 seconds