Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Suggestion: package-list with same "widget" as file-list
Suggestion: package-list with same "widget" as file-list [message #23914] Sat, 05 December 2009 01:24 Go to next message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
in visual studio I have heard of the feature-request of custom-sorted package-list, and naturally visual studio pro does support grouping of packages into meta-packages. so I thought, theide does already have both features, just not for the package-list, only for the list of files. so it shouldn't be difficult to make package-list behave alike to file-list, and support collapseable seperators there. just make them both behave the same, and add some default-sorting for backward-compatibility.

that means, reuse the code for the list of files but with the icons for packages, and different context-menu. if a new package gets added, and the packagelist has no seperator and is sorted, also insert the new packages in sorted order. otherwise insert just like with file-list at cursor-pos. of course no hotkey, therefore this order wont be destroyed accidentally.

what do you think? is this a useful feature? is anyone interested in getting it, at least optionally? I am wondering what the visual studio users need this feature for, but I know of one project which could benefit greatly from it. (i.e. that project wants to sort its packages in chronological order, with pachages that got added together also sharing the same group. the newer the package the more features it uses, such that change of features requires adjusting of all newer packages only...)
Re: Suggestion: package-list with same "widget" as file-list [message #24326 is a reply to message #23914] Mon, 11 January 2010 08:30 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 19:24

in visual studio I have heard of the feature-request of custom-sorted package-list, and naturally visual studio pro does support grouping of packages into meta-packages. so I thought, theide does already have both features, just not for the package-list, only for the list of files. so it shouldn't be difficult to make package-list behave alike to file-list, and support collapseable seperators there. just make them both behave the same, and add some default-sorting for backward-compatibility.

that means, reuse the code for the list of files but with the icons for packages, and different context-menu. if a new package gets added, and the packagelist has no seperator and is sorted, also insert the new packages in sorted order. otherwise insert just like with file-list at cursor-pos. of course no hotkey, therefore this order wont be destroyed accidentally.

what do you think? is this a useful feature? is anyone interested in getting it, at least optionally? I am wondering what the visual studio users need this feature for, but I know of one project which could benefit greatly from it. (i.e. that project wants to sort its packages in chronological order, with pachages that got added together also sharing the same group. the newer the package the more features it uses, such that change of features requires adjusting of all newer packages only...)

It is not that simple IMO. The relation between packages is more complex - e.g. two different packages can use single other package. I mean, adding a package to the list adds a couple of other packages and some of them can already be there...

That said, I believe that some grouping mechanism would be nice, I am just not sure what the mechanism should be. Also, even if some of my projects have as much as 40 packages, it still seems to be manageable the current way quite well. The possibility to add colors to packages seems to have helped...

Previous Topic: parsing bugs in the IDE
Next Topic: another parsing bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:25:37 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01711 seconds