Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...)
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25265 is a reply to message #25261] Tue, 16 February 2010 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 23:35

Perhaps we put the notation language together with the flag?

Please, no flags! Smile
I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but not in this case. Flags sometimes make sense for that country habitants but not for others. I would like to be able to know which is Russian translation without having to know it's flag. Languages abbreviations makes more sense than country flag, in fact we are talking about languages not countries so flags doesn't fit in language context. I don't see any correlation between language and flag.

Andrei
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25266 is a reply to message #25265] Tue, 16 February 2010 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

In general, agrees.
I do not insist on the flag. That would be just an artistic decision for me.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25270 is a reply to message #25266] Tue, 16 February 2010 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I don't know if this has anything to do with the translation efforts, but currently the "Manual" is broken. The context is cut after the packages heading.
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25271 is a reply to message #25270] Tue, 16 February 2010 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sc0rch is currently offline  Sc0rch

cbpporter wrote on Tue, 16 February 2010 14:00

I don't know if this has anything to do with the translation efforts, but currently the "Manual" is broken. The context is cut after the packages heading.

All works for me.

P.S. Oops, you mean "Examples", not "Manual".
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$examples$ru-ru.html - there I found them. Yes, English page is broken.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 February 2010 09:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25272 is a reply to message #25270] Tue, 16 February 2010 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 16 February 2010 09:00

Hello cbpporter

Thanks for finding the bug.

It was my fault. Problem is fixed so tomorrow morning Manual will appear in web as usual.

When testing faulty version I checked the pages but I did not scroll it down so I did not realize it was broken.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25320 is a reply to message #25272] Wed, 17 February 2010 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello ScOrch

Now I have realized of this:

Quote:

P.S. Oops, you mean "Examples", not "Manual".
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$examples$ru-ru.html - there I found them. Yes, English page is broken.

This has been caused because on Sunday I tested offline (of course) the changes. However at the same time the Examples page translated to Russian was uploaded.

The problem is that as web Examples code has not been modified (internationalized) yet, it has taken the first Examples available option, that has been the Russian one Crying or Very Sad

Today I will retry to modify Examples code. If I cannot end it, I momentary remove the Examples Russian translation and Examples web will work in English properly.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25322 is a reply to message #25320] Wed, 17 February 2010 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Andrei

Quote:

Please, no flags! Smile
I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but not in this case. Flags sometimes make sense for that country habitants but not for others. I would like to be able to know which is Russian translation without having to know it's flag. Languages abbreviations makes more sense than country flag, in fact we are talking about languages not countries so flags doesn't fit in language context. I don't see any correlation between language and flag.

Two possible focuses of this:

- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

- GNU: http://www.gnu.org/

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25326 is a reply to message #25322] Wed, 17 February 2010 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

As Wikipedia - looks better and more appropriate

{
}
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25329 is a reply to message #24600] Wed, 17 February 2010 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

I vote for wikipedia style too. Another possibility would be a select box (or DropList in u++ terminology Smile ).

Honza
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25331 is a reply to message #25329] Wed, 17 February 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Droplist worse for search indexing

{
}
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25332 is a reply to message #25322] Wed, 17 February 2010 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hi,
Wikipedia example is more usable, we don't have to scroll down to the bottom of page to change translation. If we implement that then [en][ru] links from translated pages should be removed if we have language selector "a la" wikipedia.

Andrei
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25336 is a reply to message #25332] Wed, 17 February 2010 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

It would be good if there is no Russian articles, would automatically display the English version, and at the same site should not be completely switched to English. I do not know how to do this, maybe copied to Russian English text of article until will not be ready to translate into Russian.

{
}
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25338 is a reply to message #25336] Wed, 17 February 2010 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
sergeynikitin wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 16:07

It would be good if there is no Russian articles, would automatically display the English version, and at the same site should not be completely switched to English. I do not know how to do this, maybe copied to Russian English text of article until will not be ready to translate into Russian.

Hello Sergey

That could be a brute force but effective solution.

Now every web page is an .html so left buttons are solidly fitted to central page contents.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25339 is a reply to message #25338] Wed, 17 February 2010 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 16:15

Now every web page is an .html so left buttons are solidly fitted to central page contents.

You can do dynamic effects in static html using javascript. But again, it is bad for SEO Smile Another solution would be to use modrewrite on server to redirect nonexistent files to their english equivalent, but that would probably require using separate directory for each language in order to keep the language info. So Sergeys brute force solution is IMO the only solution that can be used right away Wink

Honza
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25344 is a reply to message #24600] Wed, 17 February 2010 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello, Koldo!

English page of Examples is still broken. Sorry, if you are already know about it.

Best regards,
Anton

[Updated on: Wed, 17 February 2010 20:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25345 is a reply to message #25344] Wed, 17 February 2010 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Sc0rch wrote on Wed, 17 February 2010 20:30

Hello, Koldo!

English page of Examples is still broken. Sorry, if you are already know about it.

Best regards,
Anton

Hello Sc0rch

The web infrastructure run once per day so we will have to wait until tomorrow to see the changes.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25351 is a reply to message #24600] Thu, 18 February 2010 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I think problems are fixed online.

Thank you for your patience Smile

Now also Examples/References pages can be translated and thus Russian translations are used.

Thanks to Mirek's good job Smile it is not difficult to change web behavior.

And after analyzing the causes of the problems you reported these week now I understand better how it works.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #25643 is a reply to message #24600] Fri, 05 March 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello all!

Some pages translated. Screenshots (main and chameleon), Comparison with Qt, Applications. Added to SVN.

Please, check them. Sorry, if something done wrong.

Best regards,
Anton
icon3.gif  Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #26424 is a reply to message #25643] Fri, 30 April 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

Dear friend!
How to switch to Russian on page like this:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$overview$en-us.html ?

(I can't find how to switch)

Please return some language switch to any part of page.

{
}
Re: Ultimate++ Homepage Translations (RU...) [message #26442 is a reply to message #26424] Sun, 02 May 2010 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Veteran
sergeynikitin wrote on Fri, 30 April 2010 14:09

Dear friend!
How to switch to Russian on page like this:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$overview$en-us.html ?

(I can't find how to switch)

Please return some language switch to any part of page.

Hello Sergey

Thank you for your comment. It was my fault in last change.

I will commit the fix today.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Videos in U++ web
Next Topic: Do we need some restriction for new users due to...?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:11:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02674 seconds