FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » New Bazaar web page
New Bazaar web page [message #24639] Tue, 26 January 2010 09:50 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

As talked in last Upp Meeting, there is a new Bazaar web page. You can get it as usual from left "Bazaar" button.

It includes many suggestions from everybody, including instructions about how to update by yourself the web page.

Please all Bazaar packages authors fill or update your package data and status. If you do not feel comfortable I can do it by yourself (if you give me the data Smile ).

Of course all suggestions will be acknowledged.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24641 is a reply to message #24639] Tue, 26 January 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Editing it right now, will commit in 20-30min (Trying to improve some English, although some native speaker should probably rewrite a lot of it later).
Plus I think Mirek would be not happy from some IP address displayed there... ? I did change it to common local IP for now.

Edit: commit done

[Updated on: Tue, 26 January 2010 10:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24661 is a reply to message #24641] Tue, 26 January 2010 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Great work Koldo !

This is gonna help a lot.
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24671 is a reply to message #24661] Tue, 26 January 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Didier wrote on Tue, 26 January 2010 21:25

Great work Koldo !

This is gonna help a lot.

Thank you.

Now it is the time to make it bigger doing good doc (good software is supposed Smile )

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24796 is a reply to message #24671] Sat, 30 January 2010 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Just a suggestion: such a post should be accompanied by a minimal set of instruction in the body of the post.

I don't think it is obvious for everyone that you must check-out "upp/trunk/uppbox" and create an assembly for it and open "uppweb" package and edit "www.tpp/bazzar".
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24801 is a reply to message #24796] Sat, 30 January 2010 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 06:36

Just a suggestion: such a post should be accompanied by a minimal set of instruction in the body of the post.

I don't think it is obvious for everyone that you must check-out "upp/trunk/uppbox" and create an assembly for it and open "uppweb" package and edit "www.tpp/bazzar".

In other words, this is more common theme. We should consider to create public and devel process documentation... (like documenting the way how T++ topics are created, how the website is generated etc...).
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24816 is a reply to message #24801] Sun, 31 January 2010 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
luzr wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 19:12

cbpporter wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 06:36

In other words, this is more common theme. We should consider to create public and devel process documentation... (like documenting the way how T++ topics are created, how the website is generated etc...).

Hello luzr and cbbporter

Thank you for your feedback.

However in this case I think you would have to check this http://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$bazaar_submission$en-us .html, point 3 Wink

I think it answers your comments. However any improvement would be acknowledged.

By the way, since I am a little sensitive, after a lot of hours working on something like Bazaar page I would prefer posts like Smile :
Quote:

"Hi Koldo

Your work is so good that my next son name will be Koldo.

However I would improve X and Y.

I propose you to change X with V and Y with W. If you agree I can do it for yourself."

Well, please not take this text literally Smile .

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Sun, 31 January 2010 18:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24835 is a reply to message #24816] Mon, 01 February 2010 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well you work is good and like I said, it was just a suggestion.

We need your efforts and the Bazaar page was a great idea. But you can't expect everybody who wants to update the page to read all the documentation Smile.

I'll look over the documentation, but before that I have another task. This weekend I went over the Manual page, making sure that all the Reference pages are compliant with the style. You probably won't see a lot of changes, but they are there. I'll try to get all the reference pages to look similar and as professional as possible in my spare tiem. This will be good for the U++ book also.

Then I'll go over the Bazaar Reference pages, but this time I'll post just patches. I don't want to commit over projects that are not my own.

Other pages are more difficult to update, because you have to review every single word. For example, "Do it carefully and fast. As this is an index page somebody else could be editing it at the same time and some of the changes could be lost." is not a correct statement. In SVN it is impossible to loose changes. You can at most get conflicts, and after a conflict you can't commit unless you solve it first, and maybe TheIDE doesn't know how to handle conflicts. I tried some time ago the SVN support from TheIDE and I didn't like it, so I am not letting anyone use it around here. Some tasks should be highly automated and abstract, but version control is not one of them.
Re: New Bazaar web page [message #24838 is a reply to message #24835] Mon, 01 February 2010 11:34 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello cbpporter

Thank you for your answer.

Quote:

But you can't expect everybody who wants to update the page to read all the documentation Smile

I think it is very short Smile Smile

Quote:

I'll look over the documentation, but before that I have another task. This weekend I went over the Manual page, making sure that all the Reference pages are compliant with the style. You probably won't see a lot of changes, but they are there. I'll try to get all the reference pages to look similar and as professional as possible in my spare tiem. This will be good for the U++ book also.

I propose you to do a simple entry about how to document packages or at least the Reference area. This could be in Bazaar but also in main Web page (better in the second option).

Quote:

Then I'll go over the Bazaar Reference pages, but this time I'll post just patches. I don't want to commit over projects that are not my own.

I think so. If anybody does not have time he/she can simply ask for help and for sure in few time his/her page will be right.

Quote:

Other pages are more difficult to update, because you have to review every single word. For example, "Do it carefully and fast. As this is an index page somebody else could be editing it at the same time and some of the changes could be lost." is not a correct statement. In SVN it is impossible to loose changes. You can at most get conflicts, and after a conflict you can't commit unless you solve it first, and maybe TheIDE doesn't know how to handle conflicts. I tried some time ago the SVN support from TheIDE and I didn't like it, so I am not letting anyone use it around here. Some tasks should be highly automated and abstract, but version control is not one of them.

Sorry. My writing style is too informal and my svn knowledge is very low. I will do a first fix with your ideas but as you understand what I was trying to write, you can fix it by yourself.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Simple XML keymap parser
Next Topic: How to get/set keyboard layout in u++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:06:32 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01702 seconds