Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24769 is a reply to message #24765] Fri, 29 January 2010 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 14:45

IMO, not bad. The only possible question is how GTK under KDE matches other GTK apps...

Mirek

This is the good thing about virtualbox ... *some* things are really easy to try + capture. Smile (if it does boot, I already had 1 kernel panic very early during boot ... weird)

Gedit under KDE3.5:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2197&private=0

I generally like the NOGTK U++ look much better in this case, this really feels like bad mix of old X11 crossed with old Solaris, this takes me back to 1993 (sitting behind VTxxx graphics terminals with keyboard which had Fkeys up to F20 Smile ), except the icons on buttons. The NOGTK does look somewhere between W2k and WinXP, maybe after some color tweaking it would be as good as XP classic (i.e. it looks like 2001).
Still I think even the NOGTK is not good enough IMHO.

The GTK under Gnome is quite ok, I think that's a presentable look even today.

Now I think maybe I miss some KDE package which helps the GTK apps to mimick KDE better? I will try to check it out.
EDIT: yes, the "gtk-qt-engine" was not installed, I will try it and post another post with it enabled.

Also I noticed my mouse does get sometimes invisible boundary box, so I can't move to some area of screen, if I move the mouse several times here and there, the bbox does change a bit, eventually letting me go anywhere. I think this is absolutely not U++ related, but somewhere in vbox+debian+kde .. and I'm not sure, but I think it happened in gnome too.

Quote:

So you managed to get U++ to build with NOGTK? I had no success with that. Or did you only build DbfView with NOGTK?

I did build NOGTK TheIDE too, but inside the GTK Ide, so it was just simple matter of switching the main config.
Didn't run into any problems, all required dev libs were already in place since building the GTK one. (this is "installed" IDE from 1965 source tarball, I mean that "make install" local user installation)
Then I did build the NOGTK DbgView in the NOGTK IDE, although judging from how it went there's no difference in GTK/NOGTK IDEs in my Debian, just visual. Both can build other packages in any configuration and execute them.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2010 15:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24771 is a reply to message #24714] Fri, 29 January 2010 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Ok, gtk-qt-engine installed. In KControl I did check "Use my KDE style in GTK applications".

Now the GTK version looks better even under KDE3.5.
In the screenshot you can see even GTK TheIDE.

Although suddenly the system feels somewhat more sluggish. I'm not sure if it's the gtk-qt engine vs virtualbox SW rendering, or I didn't notice the slowness before, but I would swear the Gedit took 2 times longer to start then before.

I'm not inlining the pic because it's quite large.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24773 is a reply to message #24771] Fri, 29 January 2010 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
So to summarize:
1. Problems are visible with KDE and I remember and old post regarding XFCE (probably any WM that is not Gnome) with Gtk build. The skin seems to be the same in all cases, but different from when running under Gnome, but I'll experiment to see if problem is general.
2. All Gtk build have problems with editfields when they are too small. I wonder if we are sure that information from Gtk is correct then we can clip the editfield contents?
3. I'll try to produce a "domakenogtk" script.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24776 is a reply to message #24773] Fri, 29 January 2010 17:15 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 10:21

2. All Gtk build have problems with editfields when they are too small. I wonder if we are sure that information from Gtk is correct then we can clip the editfield contents?

The problem there is that Gtk approach to drawing editfields is completely different.

For GTK, editfield is undivisible entity similar to Button. So it draws background and text over it.

In U++, EditField is only the text area and is combined with Frame to provide the complete appearance. Plus, there can be more buttons etc...

So afwful amount of heurestics is required to extract something reasonable from this mess.
Previous Topic: Chameleon again
Next Topic: Skinning Scrollbar thumb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:29:26 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01168 seconds