FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » General comments
General comments [message #25103] Wed, 10 February 2010 18:38 Go to next message
alendar is currently offline  alendar
Just wanted to mention how awesome U++ is before I get used to it and forget.

I've been able to develop the most C++ code in a short time than I ever have before. The closest thing was VC++ 6.0, but I had not GUI components in that app.

I've been able to easily capture my keyboard media buttons with a RegisterSystemHotKey function. Plus abends don't leave the key registered; they default back to their default behavior. The callbacks are easy, overriding windows is very easy. I can easily capture keystrokes. I mix static code and class instances easily. I've been able to use mutexes easily to control the complexity as my app grows. I've never been able to get to the "Stop debugging" command. The memory leak warning has been very helpful in preventing issues. I've added a menu and a toolbar easily, with toolbuttons that either toggle or act as buttons. The NullText function on edit fields is awesome! It's silly, but a wonderfully simply way to add a touch of class. The natural springiness of objects in the layout designer saves soo much headaches. Having controls size smoothly expand is very nice. I got the XML writer/reader to work fairly quickly. The ctl+shift+arrow is a great little feature to reorder my files. I used to hate VC for not letting me order the way I saw files. It helps me manage complexity. And ctl+alt+arrow is great for managing my IML file. Being able to arrange all the little icons helps me manage the growing complexity.

I'm getting comfortable with the image editor; it has just enough features to let me get some functional toolbutton images out the door. Using right-click to capture the transparent, then left-click to erase, is nice. I can move them around. I flipped my Media Next image right into a Media Prev image. Context menu - piece of cake! I clipboarded the file names with a quick command.

The WString came in handy and worked easily to deal with UTF file names without a hitch.

The ArrayCtrl: Definitely a good tool. I know from dealing with other systems how hard it is to write a complex tool without over doing it and bogging it down. So far its worked great. I pull 67,000 file names in in about 700 ms in debug build, and that's without using GuiLock and a thread, which is my next challenge. The Accel(CharFilterDefaultToUpperAscii) default key to hop through an array list is excellent! I was trying to write it in the key handler when I found that. Sort() works, which is ok for now. I really need to generate the list based on indexes and thread it to show the visible section and background the rest of the rows. I'll get there. I have a general idea. It's easier to just reload the array with a sorted list than to sort the contents. Tips are easy to add and change. The Array nicely pops up the full name when its cut off, which is very professional looking, plus with the little arrow on the right. AllSorting() is a great option to quickly get sorting implemented. I can't even think of what else I'll want it to do, until I put a ratings column in with a image. And there's an example for hiding columns, very cool. Don't need it yet, but will. GetHomeDirectory() is a great time saver to make my app multi-user with custom configs. I LOVE that the array control captures mouse clicks without requiring the app to have focus first. I recall VB had a horrid time, requiring the app gain focus before mouse info could be captured. This gives my app a significant improvement over tools like iTunes. Now if I can get it to capture the mousewheel without focus Smile One of the core features that hooked me in was FindFile(). The implementation is the best I've found. I dropped Qt like a wet paper bag when its file directory functions took forever to load. I know a raw NTFS read is a tad faster, maybe I'll implement that someday. I like LOG and RLOG, nice and simple. What else, oh, CoWork may crank up my core use for loading the file list if FileFind.Next() is multithreaded. We'll see. Performance is king!

So many things: Easily grabbing the preprocessor output (Can VC do that in the GUI?). That little thin scroller in the IDE - I'm definitely going to steal that. The Topic function is great and I'm slowly documenting my code via the little blue box. Quickly highlighting and commenting out code. The No want focus is nice for my about box, so that edit (selectable) text does not grab focus annoyingly. Making modeless windows is too easy. The Alt-left/right is very useful once I got used to it. Alt+J is a crucial helper. Ctrl+T for the layout is good to directly edit the layout.

Lets see what other trouble I can get into!

cd7651feeb698f6ac6cec1f6deda5e5b
Re: General comments [message #25105 is a reply to message #25103] Wed, 10 February 2010 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Wow, very nice post Alendar! You hit a lot of things I like and even some I was not aware of. We should publish it somewhere, it's a nice, objective review Smile

Honza
Re: General comments [message #25106 is a reply to message #25103] Wed, 10 February 2010 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

So you know the feeling now.. Welcome to U++ world Smile
Re: General comments [message #25110 is a reply to message #25106] Wed, 10 February 2010 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
unodgs wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 20:27

So you know the feeling now.. Welcome to U++ world Smile

Oh yes !

I am porting a complex Excel VBA application to U++ in days Laughing

The program is much faster, more solid, nicer look, all in a standalone .exe, and it has less code... Very Happy .

Well, the people in my company is amazing, they simply cannot believe it !. Code is simpler than Basic !

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: General comments [message #25126 is a reply to message #25103] Thu, 11 February 2010 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
alendar wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 12:38

I've been able to develop the most C++ code in a short time than I ever have before. The closest thing was VC++ 6.0, but I had not GUI components in that app.

I've been able to easily capture my keyboard media buttons with a RegisterSystemHotKey function. Plus abends don't leave the key registered; they default back to their default behavior. The callbacks are easy, overriding windows is very easy. I can easily capture keystrokes. I mix static code and class instances easily. I've been able to use mutexes easily to control the complexity as my app grows. I've never been able to get to the "Stop debugging" command. The memory leak warning has been very helpful in preventing issues. I've added a menu and a toolbar easily, with toolbuttons that either toggle or act as buttons. The NullText function on edit fields is awesome! It's silly, but a wonderfully simply way to add a touch of class. The natural springiness of objects in the layout designer saves soo much headaches. Having controls size smoothly expand is very nice. I got the XML writer/reader to work fairly quickly. The ctl+shift+arrow is a great little feature to reorder my files. I used to hate VC for not letting me order the way I saw files. It helps me manage complexity. And ctl+alt+arrow is great for managing my IML file. Being able to arrange all the little icons helps me manage the growing complexity.

I'm getting comfortable with the image editor; it has just enough features to let me get some functional toolbutton images out the door. Using right-click to capture the transparent, then left-click to erase, is nice. I can move them around. I flipped my Media Next image right into a Media Prev image. Context menu - piece of cake! I clipboarded the file names with a quick command.

The WString came in handy and worked easily to deal with UTF file names without a hitch.

The ArrayCtrl: Definitely a good tool. I know from dealing with other systems how hard it is to write a complex tool without over doing it and bogging it down. So far its worked great. I pull 67,000 file names in in about 700 ms in debug build, and that's without using GuiLock and a thread, which is my next challenge. The Accel(CharFilterDefaultToUpperAscii) default key to hop through an array list is excellent! I was trying to write it in the key handler when I found that. Sort() works, which is ok for now. I really need to generate the list based on indexes and thread it to show the visible section and background the rest of the rows. I'll get there. I have a general idea. It's easier to just reload the array with a sorted list than to sort the contents. Tips are easy to add and change. The Array nicely pops up the full name when its cut off, which is very professional looking, plus with the little arrow on the right. AllSorting() is a great option to quickly get sorting implemented. I can't even think of what else I'll want it to do, until I put a ratings column in with a image. And there's an example for hiding columns, very cool. Don't need it yet, but will. GetHomeDirectory() is a great time saver to make my app multi-user with custom configs. I LOVE that the array control captures mouse clicks without requiring the app to have focus first. I recall VB had a horrid time, requiring the app gain focus before mouse info could be captured. This gives my app a significant improvement over tools like iTunes. Now if I can get it to capture the mousewheel without focus Smile One of the core features that hooked me in was FindFile(). The implementation is the best I've found. I dropped Qt like a wet paper bag when its file directory functions took forever to load. I know a raw NTFS read is a tad faster, maybe I'll implement that someday. I like LOG and RLOG, nice and simple. What else, oh, CoWork may crank up my core use for loading the file list if FileFind.Next() is multithreaded. We'll see. Performance is king!

So many things: Easily grabbing the preprocessor output (Can VC do that in the GUI?). That little thin scroller in the IDE - I'm definitely going to steal that. The Topic function is great and I'm slowly documenting my code via the little blue box. Quickly highlighting and commenting out code. The No want focus is nice for my about box, so that edit (selectable) text does not grab focus annoyingly. Making modeless windows is too easy. The Alt-left/right is very useful once I got used to it. Alt+J is a crucial helper. Ctrl+T for the layout is good to directly edit the layout.

Thanks, glad to hear that.

What about posting this little review to places like sf.net or ohloh? Smile
Re: General comments [message #25264 is a reply to message #25126] Mon, 15 February 2010 22:57 Go to previous message
alendar is currently offline  alendar
luzr wrote on Thu, 11 February 2010 15:29

alendar wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 12:38

Thanks, glad to hear that.

What about posting this little review to places like sf.net or ohloh? Smile

Posted on source forge. Least I can do.

cd7651feeb698f6ac6cec1f6deda5e5b
Previous Topic: ArrayCtrl vs. GridCtrl (A noob's perspective)
Next Topic: Anyone have trouble with drag n drop on GridCtrl?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:28:57 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01600 seconds