Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » is there any way to embed a browser window in a U++ window or view the html direclty?  () 1 Vote
is there any way to embed a browser window in a U++ window or view the html direclty? [message #25151] Fri, 12 February 2010 19:54 Go to next message
blankets is currently offline  blankets
hey : )
I'm new to C++ and have written a program which displays consecutive small html files in a firefox window (the page is set to refresh so the next bit of html fed to it by the program gets displayed)

it needs a GUI so I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction of how to put the html pages in a nice looking GUI instead of me having to open firefox manually first

Thank you very much for your time: )

-Eric
Re: is there any way to embed a browser window in a U++ window or view the html direclty? [message #25160 is a reply to message #25151] Fri, 12 February 2010 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
There's no build-in support for this in U++.

If you are skilled win32 programmer and you need only windows exe, you can try to embed MS IE. It should be considerably "easy" for anyone experienced with MS API, as it's prepared for exactly this usage (probably trough some COM object or whatever, I refused to ever touch win32 API into depth, so I have no exact idea).

From U++ there's some DHCtrl or something like that, which will help you with hwnd child window supposed to embed such extras, but this will save you only little bit of work.

If you have plenty of spare time and some experience with C++ and other libraries, you may want to try to produce webkit U++ wrapper and give it back to community. This would be cross platform, if done properly, and greatly welcome as very interesting extension of U++.

There's also option to embed gecko engine, but webkit is said to have less dependencies, so it should be easier to wrap into U++ control. (yet if you are familiar with gecko, maybe you will consider otherwise) None of the task is "easy", maybe not even "medium" but quite hard. Embedding MSIE should be between easy to medium, depends how well you know MS technologies, for seasoned MS engineer it should be not difficult.

As far as I remember, nobody here ever embedded any HTML viewer, there was some discussion about webkit, but my current response sums up everything what was done on that front. (that "it should be easier then gecko" thing is all Smile )

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 22:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: is there any way to embed a browser window in a U++ window or view the html direclty? [message #25185 is a reply to message #25160] Sat, 13 February 2010 15:23 Go to previous message
blankets is currently offline  blankets
thank you very much for all the information!!Smile

I am still pretty new to programming and am making this program as a sort of way to teach myself as I go along, so I am not sure whether to chicken out and headbutt MS API for IE or to attempt to build that wrapper.

I think it will be too hard but I will give it a try as a learning experience.

Thanks for your advice: )

-Eric
Previous Topic: text box action with enter key
Next Topic: ArrayCtrl vs. GridCtrl (A noob's perspective)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:33:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05626 seconds