Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » tabs settings in editor not honoured
tabs settings in editor not honoured [message #25437] Tue, 23 February 2010 16:20 Go to next message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
The settings concerning indentation and tabs for the editor in theIDE are often lost (you set them and after restarting or setting another main package, they are reset to their default values of 4 spaces and using tab characters for indentation).
Moreover; when you check the setting to use spaces for indentations, still tab characters are used.
This was observed on windows vista 32bit using U++ r2083.

2010-03-14: Hmm; looking at the sources, it seems normal that these settings are saved per package. Strange; does anyone really want different tab settings per package? And the other problem I mentioned is because I expected the tab key to follow the settings and use spaces as well. Also looking at the sources, this seems not to be the case.

Anyway, I created a diff file to apply this changed tab-key behaviour locally for my own builds and, if you are interested, I am happy to send it.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 March 2010 12:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tabs settings in editor not honoured [message #26183 is a reply to message #25437] Fri, 09 April 2010 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi frankdeprins,

I experience (probably) the same thing with some other settings too. In number of colors for scope highlighting, and all the setting in Editor and IDE tabs of Environment dialogue...

I agree that most of these settings should be set globaly, not per package. Or if they are really pacakge specific, they should be set somewhere else, but not in IDE environment. Could you post your patch here, please?

Regards,
Honza
Re: tabs settings in editor not honoured [message #26746 is a reply to message #26183] Tue, 25 May 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frankdeprins is currently offline  frankdeprins
Sorry for the late reply; I did not return to this thread anymore.
Here is the patch I apply:
Index: .\uppsrc\CodeEditor\CodeEditor.cpp
=========================================================
--- .\uppsrc\CodeEditor\CodeEditor.cpp	Tue Feb 09 16:34:06 2010
+++ ..\Modified\uppsrc\CodeEditor\CodeEditor.cpp	Thu Mar 04 11:53:04 2010
@@ -868,8 +868,11 @@
 			IndentInsert(code);
 			return true;
 		}
-		if(code == 9 && IsSelection())
+		if(code == 9)
+			if (IsSelection())
 			    return true;
+			else if (indent_spaces)
+   			return LineEdit::Key(32, indent_amount);
 	}
 	if(GetCharset() != CHARSET_UTF8)
 		if(code >= 128 && code < 65536 && FromUnicode((wchar)code, GetCharset()) == DEFAULTCHAR)

This patch does not change the package specific character of the setting. What it does is change the behaviour of the tab key: if you have set 'indent using spaces' on, the tab key will also use spaces when pressed instead of a tab character. Unless for a selection.
Beware that I am quite new in investigating the U++ sources and I would not recommend applying this patch to the repository without a proper review. That said, it works fine for me.

Here is another one that sets 'indent using spaces' as default as well as a space count of 3 for indents. This is how I like it, please edit as you want it.

Index: .\uppsrc\ide\idewin.cpp
=========================================================
--- .\uppsrc\ide\idewin.cpp	Mon Feb 22 09:31:30 2010
+++ ..\Modified\uppsrc\ide\idewin.cpp	Thu Mar 04 10:31:35 2010
@@ -530,9 +530,9 @@

tfont = editorfont = font2 = Courier(13);
 	veditorfont = consolefont = font1 = Courier(11);
-	editortabsize = 4;
-	indent_amount = 4;
-	indent_spaces = false;
+	editortabsize = 3;
+	indent_amount = 3;
+	indent_spaces = true;
 	show_status_bar = false;
 	show_tabs = false;
 	tabs_icons = false;

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: tabs settings in editor not honoured [message #26794 is a reply to message #26183] Fri, 28 May 2010 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 19:57

Hi frankdeprins,

I experience (probably) the same thing with some other settings too. In number of colors for scope highlighting, and all the setting in Editor and IDE tabs of Environment dialogue...

I agree that most of these settings should be set globaly, not per package. Or if they are really pacakge specific, they should be set somewhere else, but not in IDE environment. Could you post your patch here, please?

Regards,
Honza

If you change tab settings in "File properties", it gets stored into package (for the specific files). It has nothing to do with Environment settings of tab.

Anyway, it is true that some settings are getting stored on per-package basis, although not into the package (in fact, it is per "main-package-and-assembly" basis).

There are two serialization functions:

void Ide::SerializeWorkspace(Stream& s);

and

void Ide::Serialize(Stream& s);

First one contains things supposed to be serialized per package, second global things.

Now, if you feel that something should be moved from SerializeWorkspace to Serialize (or in opposite direction), just suggest Smile

Mirek
Re: tabs settings in editor not honoured [message #26921 is a reply to message #25437] Wed, 09 June 2010 15:46 Go to previous message
sevenjay is currently offline  sevenjay
I also need the function, "Insert Space character instead of Tab character".
I check the option "indent using spaces", but it does not work.

Maybe it can be adjusted?

Thank you very much.
Previous Topic: Color of selection: filebar, assist, package selections...
Next Topic: Menu losing 'focus' when building?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:00:08 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01544 seconds